TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Video Card

Video Card

So my Desktop video card doesn't work after updating the drivers (my wife clicked yes when she should have said no). I am (was) running a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card and after the update the screen went funky and the computer started to freeze up. I was able to disable the card after ten or so restarts. Computer works fine without the card. Of course I need the card to work to run a lot of stuff properly. I tried going backwards with the drivers but that didn't work. I'm thinking a new one will do the trick. Any suggestions?

System info:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit: Service Pack 2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
    RAM: 4 GB
    320GB Hardrive (Don't know RPMS)

driver update, while it may break software compatibility, should not have the potential to kill your graphics card. I would try it out in some other pc first before buying a replacement.. but yeah, a new card would probably fix your issue.

Clarify something... Does the screen appear garbled during the POST? If it does, it is probably a video card problem. If it looks fine, it would be a driver problem most likely. You should be able to start Windows in safe mode and things *should* look alright because safe mode uses standard VGA drivers.

I tried the latest driver update from Nvidia and I am still having video issues. Lots of lag and then freeze up but with the latest driver it takes longer for the issue to start: about 2 seconds longer. I think maybe it's time to build a new PC anyway.

a new graphics card might be enough, the rest of that pc is still decent enough for most of the average daily tasks. think somewhere around geforce gtx650/ti or radeon hd7750/7770 (DDR5).

Oddly enough I was shopping for very similar video cards today. Thanks for the advice. I tried updating the the current one with the very latest drivers and still had the same issues. I guess it's time to stop procrastinating and buy a new card. The system actually worked fine for all my needs until the video problems.

just watch out for the ddr3 versions of HD7750, those should be avoided. the ddr5 version is ok.