TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Steam Summer Sale

Administrator
    Damn, now you two have made me get Far Cry 2. Can't blame you for Driver 2.

Typically I would say I haven't spent more than a fiver on a sandwich (unless it was a particularly special one), so I'd say it's more like a game for the same price as a coffee and a cake.

Quite a few have gone for Alan Wake. It is clearly the most beautiful thing I have bought so far, but now I have got temporarily stuck on an unexpectedly long checkpoint gap. It feels like the designer was a little bit mean after a stretch of being quite generous...

Knows his stuff

nitpicking

Driver SF is not Driver 2. If you had to attach a number to it it would be Driver 5 (or 6, if we include that PSP game).

All in all I bought the Bioshock Pack (Steam version) from Amazon, Frozen Synapse Red and Fallout 3 GOTY from Steam. That means that now I officially have a gaming backlog, consisting of these four games. I already started taking sedatives, and I'm still not sure I'll be able to handle the pressure. I started playing Bioshock immediately to remedy my dreadful situation.

Y'all convinced me to buy Alan Wake. Before I make it final, is American Nightmare worth getting too?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yes, inasmuch as it's an improvement on AW1's mechanics (and I like the atmosphere too).

A disappointing final day's sale. Nothing new or noteworthy at an attractive price-point; to me anyway, as I either already own or am not interested in the final offering. I'm also surprised to see a lot of games that were heavily discounted and/or packaged in previous sales, and also a number of older games such as Kotor (2003) feature in the mix.

Knows his stuff
    Oh shit yeah, today is the last day isn't it? Well, they finally put ARMA2:CO at 40%, bet a lot of people are kicking themselves over buying it at 20% earlier. I finally took the plunge myself and got ARMA2:OA(since I already have the base game).

Anyway, MY HAUL:
    ARMA2:OA
    Crash Time 3
    Crysis 2 Maximum Ed.
    Darksiders
    Dead Island: Ryder White DLC
    Frozen Synapse: RED DLC
    Helldorado
    Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
    - honestly I don't think I can be bothered with this one. Gets really hard to catch up with games you've missed the first time if you wait too long (a decade and a half in this case). Those graphics, and that LEVELDESIGN! Ugh. At one point in the first level the only way to get to another part of the base is through an airvent. Who designed this place? Also the game keeps crashing.
    L.A. Noire Complete
    Mafia 2: Jimmy's Vengeance DLC
    - finished this yesterday, it was fun. Will do a write-up.
    Max Payne 3
    MS Flight All the DLC
    PoP: The Forgotten Sands
    Renegade Ops
    - Reached the last mission (I think) with Jeshibu yesterday. It's a fun game though the gameplay doesn't really evolve over the course of the game, and evetually it starts feeling a bit samey. The co-op is ok, but not great because there's hardly any actual teamwork, everyone just drives around and does their own thing. You can split up and complete different objectives ofcourse, and that's a big help on timed missions as difficulty doesn't seem to scale up with more players. I got the Reinforcements and Coldstrike DLCs as well. Might wait a while before getting started on Coldstrike.
    Serious Sam 3
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    The Walking Dead

The Witcher 1 & 2 EE (from GOG)
    Worms Reloaded

How much bread did I spend on all that? One Hundred And Fifty Breads! European Breads! Fine French LOAFS

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Driver SF is not Driver 2. If you had to attach a number to it it would be Driver 5 (or 6, if we include that PSP game).
    Yes, good point, but you knew what I meant...

Incidentally, Driver SF makes me wonder how they made GTA4 run like such a dog on the PC. On the face of it it appears to have higher detail textures and runs very smoothly. Perhaps the difference is in the detail of people walking around as one always stays in the car.

The last thing I will get is Burnout Paradise as my kids like a game where you're actually supposed to crash into things. The only problem is that Steam have run out of activation keys so while the game is sitting on my hard drive I can't actually play it. This is where this kind of distribution get on my nerves. If I'd bought an actual box I could at least be sure I could activate the damn thing. Thwarted by a shortage of character strings. Marvellous.

Damn, now I've gone and bought the Fable 3 collection. Somebody stop me...

Steam Summer Sale, Day 10, accumulated loot:

Alan Wake Franchise -- This one came out of left field!
    Dead Island -- Something ♥♥♥ romantic ♥♥♥ to co-op with sweetie.
    Fallout 3 - GOTY -- Recent acquisition; Previously played … MUST FEED LIBRARY-BEAST!
    FEAR 3 -- For better or worse, I gotta see how the series plays out.
    Splinter Cell Conviction -- Watched young nephew play some last winter … and he just kept doing it WRONG!

All wishlist titles and came in under budget … Huzzah!

Oh shit yeah, today is the last day isn't it?
    27 hours. 1pm EST tomorrow.

Oh and to add to my goddamn HAUL, I picked up the Batman Franchise Pack and Universe Sandbox. Running around as 70's cartoon Batman in Arkham City was too good to pass up (I was originally just going to get the game and the Harley DLC).

Knows his stuff
    It's one more day? I can never figure out when these things end. It's the 22nd over here anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaksand View Post
    FEAR 3 -- For better or worse, I gotta see how the series plays out.
    Make sure you try the coop mode in that one too. The coop in it is as good as, or maybe even better than, that in Dead Island.

Make sure you try the coop mode in that one [FEAR 3] too. The coop in it is as good as, or maybe even better than, that in Dead Island.
    Oh, really? I'll have to do just that.

Ugh … I'm finding Dead Island co-op play with a loved one jarringly fun AND trying my patience!

Administrator
    Can anyone who has managed to install Driver SF confirm that it works ok with an XBOX 360 controller on the PC? It seems a bit poor that using any other gamepad controller causes the entire game to crash. The controller emulator thing I found didn't work either...

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaksand View Post
    Ugh I'm finding Dead Island co-op play with a loved one jarringly fun AND trying my patience!
    If you want it to be tense and atmospheric you'll have to play it SP. Coop usually always sucks the immersion right out of any game. I played most of Dead Island in SP for just this reason. F3AR is so cliche'd and silly it doesn't matter if you're joking around with a friend while playing it tho.

How's it trying your patience btw?

- snippysnipsnip - [Self-edited due to harshness]

Yeah know, if my co-op group could just all agree to stop gaming at around the three-hour mark, a lot of fatigue-induced snarkiness could be adverted.
    Last edited by bleaksand; 23rd Jul 2012 at 09:03. Reason: I was venting … It's all good, now.

Knows his stuff
    Ah, that sucks. I guess I should count myself lucky that everyone I play coop with is usually pretty mellow, and more likely to laugh away any mistakes than get worked up about them.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Yes, good point, but you knew what I meant...
    I sure didn't :) I assumed you'd bought the game you said you'd bought (which I thought was a mightily strange decision, really, as my recollection was that it got fairly panned in the reviews).

Knows his stuff
    If you thought that was strange, consider the fact that Driver 2 only ever got released on Playstation 1, so picking it up in the Steam sale would be quite the feat. Yeah scumble, I knew what you meant.

In other news I can't hold on to my money for the life of me. Two final purchases in the Steam Sale: Joe's Adventures DLC for Mafia 2, and Jagged Alliance: Back in Action.

I bought far more than I expected to in this sale (I don't think I bought anything at all last year).

FEAR: Complete Pack
    Bioshock 2
    Fallout: New Vegas
    STALKER: Call of Pripyat
    VTM: Bloodlines
    Dear Esther
    Star Wars: KOTOR
    Alien Shooter 2: Conscription
    Trino
    Hydrophobia: Prophecy

The FEAR pack was more than $5, but in that I was getting two new games and the second expansion pack for the original, so it all worked out to my mind.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 23rd Jul 2012 at 07:36. Reason: not the third expansion pack... there were only two.

Picked up Dark Void, Ninja Blade, Blades Of Time, and Call Of Juarez. I think that's it for me.

Picked up:

• Anno 2070
    • KOTOR
    • Astro Tripper (it was less than a quid and looked like some oldschool R-Type style fun)
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY edition

More than enough for the time I have available to play games.

Administrator
    I refrained from buying the bioshock collection as I think I've probably got enough to play with until the next sale. Also I am being a bit more wary of system requirements with a 256 mb graphics card.

That said I am a little confused as to why far cry 2 runs so well and manages to look decent, while gta4 looks quite awful on low settings and still doesn't even run smoothly. I think this is a bit of a moot point now though as I've actually already lost interest in the game...

Ys The Oath In Felghana. And I swear to god I'm cutting myself off now.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action.
    Let me know if it's any good, please! I've been playing the good old Jagged Alliance 2 a lot lately, and I had forgotten how awesome that game is. It's already showing its age though (outdated gfx obviously, but the user interface is also pretty bad) so if the new game is even nearly as good as JA2, it's a definite purchase for me.

Knows his stuff
    I've only played the tutorial and the first mission yet(and that took me about 2 hours). I've enjoyed it very much so far, though I can see how some elements of it will start getting repetitive eventually. The only other JA game I've played is Deadly Games, way back in the mid-90's. Browsing through the Steam forum for the game, it seems like the oppinions of JA2 fans are extremely divided. Some of them love it, while others seem unable to get over the fact that it's not turn-based and overall too different from JA2.

It should be noted that several patches have been released since release, most notably adding "Fog of War", which means you can only see enemies if they are in the field of view of one of your characters. That's how I'm playing it, and it feels right, necessitates always minding your surroundings and having your mercs cover eachother.

edit: Just did my first stealth-kill woooooooop! Had Mallice sneak up on a guy and knife him.
    Last edited by henke; 23rd Jul 2012 at 16:09.