TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 114

Thread: Warhammer 40K Space Marine

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sg3 View Post
    Throw in a horrid interface which doesn't allow you to choose which server to join, doesn't allow you to kick players from games that you host, has no chatlog and no way of seeing what the server options are, and makes you mute every VOIP screamer by hand (VOIP is on by default, with no volume slider, no "mute all" function, and--worse--no way of muting someone unless they are actively talking at that moment), and you have a game which has good graphics, gameplay, and story, but is ultimately not worth playing online.
    It's peer-to-peer. You can't pick a server or see server options because there are no servers. This was obviously the biggest mistake they made with the MP, but I honestly haven't found the lag to be that bad in well populated matches. Match settings in public matchmaking are the same for every match of the same match type.

    'Mute All' got patched in shortly after release, and you most definitely can mute anyone who has a mic connected regardless of whether they're talking or not.

  2. #27
    Knows his stuff
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    And henke: I hope you picked up the Chaos Unleased and Dreadnought Assault DLCs.
    That I did not. They're multiplayer map packs right? I rarely spend much time with games' MP modes, mainly in it for the SP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sg3 View Post
    Never mind the "let's make it even harder on the new folks than it already has to be" weapon unlocks, or the dodgy balance of some of the perks (Iron Halo being the major culprit, but not the only one)--the real problem is net lag.
    I didn't notice any lag, but then again it was a co-op game so lag probably doesn't matter as much as when playing against other humans. And the Heavy Bolter and the Jetpack unlocked pretty quickly for me.

    I liked what little I played online.

  3. #28
    Dear Fatties and Neckbeards,

    Just forget the inside leg measurements and netcode and go play this badass piece of really dumb but really great SP fun.

  4. #29
    Knows his stuff
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    ^^^
    Good solid advice.

  5. #30
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    I think your assumption that any woman will look at the entirety of the 40K range (featuring, after all, 10 or more wholly discrete 'races', only three of them human/former human) and dismiss the entire thing out of hand because "ugh, look at those tits"...is about the most sexist thing I've read in this thread thus far. Is that really how you think women think? Or do you just have ...embarassingly shallow female friends?


    In all honesty, I don't think 'portray women as sex objects' ever really features on the GW agenda. It's based on table-top wargaming, after all. You can dismiss that aspect as not being 'all important anymore', but it's still the fundamental underpinning of the entire enterprise.
    Male figures are hard-bitten horrible giant hulking dudes who murder people, female figures are hard-bitten horrible giant hulking dudes (with tits) who murder people. Gender is fairly irrelevant. Very little "roll 2D6 to launch a pickup line". The Adeptus sororitas are essentially 'Combat Nuns', ffs. Unless you're accusing GW of having a fairly specific fetish, they're about the most sexless archetype for an all-female organisation they could pick.


    From the (admittedly few) spin-off books I've read (in my defense, I wanted easily-digestible pulp for a long plane flight), this theme continues: no sex, or even romance, it's just straight up murder murder murder.

    Given how hilariously bleak the 40K universe is, I'm amazed anyone ever even gets around to having sex at all (and even then they probably get set on fire by an inquistor for "having fun").

    So really, unless you're getting all your 40K artwork from deviantArt, I'm not seeing this whole sex-focus thing. It literally appears to be "GW artwork breaches dethtoll's arbitrary tit-size tolerance threshold", and that's all.
    This is the worst post I've read in days hours. Are you seriously calling any woman who rolls their eyes at ridiculous male-gaze proportions "shallow?" Fuck you. I'm not even going to dignify the rest of your post with a response, you've lost the plot so completely. Why don't you try actually talking to a woman -- you do know at least one, I presume -- about these things? And by talk, I mean shut up and listen, instead of telling her how she should feel or saying she's shallow or ~oversensitive~ if she doesn't really appreciate the stupid proportions and other issues in the artwork.

    Conversation over. Come back when you've done what I've suggested.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I have no real response, so I shall stomp out in mock outrage as if that's what I meant to do anyway
    Stay classy, champ.

  7. #32
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Yes, that's exactly what happened here.

    Idiot.

  8. #33
    Then why not actually make the effort to address some of the things I actually raised?

    For example, why do you assume all women automatically must care deeply about 'tit size as depicted in a work of fiction'? And why is anyone who does not assume that apparently a massive overbearing misogynist?

    Or why not address the fact that they're fucking combat NUNS, ffs? That one could be fun.

    Seriously though, if every woman you've ever met has gone "OMG BECKY, LOOK AT THEM TITTIES!" *huffs off in disgust*, then you have met an incredibly small subset of the entire female population of this planet.

    I mean, the whole IM RITE AND UR RONG/NO U/FUCK U IM OUTTA HERE thing is your bag, I know, but would it hurt to actually make an effort once in a while? I'm open to reasonable discussion. I mean, say..provide an example beyond "this giant armoured woman has giant armoured tits, therefore the entire fucking enterprise is unremittingly sexist (in my opinion)". That'd be a good start.

  9. #34
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    There's still plenty of room in the sexism thread.

  10. #35
    Knows his stuff
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    That's Space Marine done with.











    Fantastic romp overall. Solid gameplay, though with a few difficulty spikes here and there. I played on Normal and the only place I ended up having to replay 5+ times was the final bossfight which was a bit on the hard side, but suitably epic and fun anyway.

    Think I've caught a bit of the ol' space-bug. Gonna have to try out that Tribes Ascent thingy next. You fatties and neckbeards can keep on arguing over the size of plastic figurine boobs or whatever, I'm outta here!

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I was pretty satisfied with the game too. It's unfortunate that the multiplayer component was effectively hamstrung by lag and balance issues, or I imagine it could have been pretty successful. Any word of a possible sequel?

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Unless Jason Rubin reverses the decision made by previous management, a sequel ain't happening.

  13. #38
    Space Marine was a fun, one time play through, but I pretty much uninstalled it afterward. The setting was pretty well done, but the actual game play was kind of sparse. I remember looking at the 'combos' display and thinking "WTF is the point of this? It's hit A, 1 to 3 times, then hit B. That's it".

    Came with a free copy of Darksiders as a pre-order bonus, which didn't help. Generally it's a bad idea to give a better game as a pre-order bonus. Space Marine only had it's combat and it's setting....and it's combat was kind of shallow.

    Had they just slapped a Space Marine skin on War and a level pack on Darksiders and called it a day, might've improved the game a bit.



    As for the rest of the discussion.....well, Torpedo Tits are the least of that world's sexism. It's got a literal god, who runs the empire with his literal sons. No daughters though. And the combat nuns only exist because the church wasn't allowed to have men fighting, else they'd have them instead.......no exactly women's lib here. But then, I suppose you get right down to it, that universe pretty much sucks for everybody in it, so why should women be any different?

  14. #39
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town

    i can't believe i'm letting you drag me back to this

    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    For example, why do you assume all women automatically must care deeply about 'tit size as depicted in a work of fiction'? And why is anyone who does not assume that apparently a massive overbearing misogynist?
    Where did I say that? Oh, hey, wait, I didn't. What I said was that I'd feel embarassed showing 40k to my female friends. That you automatically assume that's sexist is... I don't know man, what the fuck?

    Or why not address the fact that they're fucking combat NUNS, ffs? That one could be fun.
    This isn't relevant to the discussion. You keep doing this, going off on tangents, then you wonder why I ignore them. I ignore them because I'm not going to let you suck me into a red herring vortex.

    Seriously though, if every woman you've ever met has gone "OMG BECKY, LOOK AT THEM TITTIES!" *huffs off in disgust*, then you have met an incredibly small subset of the entire female population of this planet.
    THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING FFS. You're so completely off the mark and missing the point, I'm not sure what I could possibly say to get you on the same page here. Obviously not every woman I know is going to react that way (maybe one or two) but you're making so many huge assumptions -- about me, about women, about the women I hang out with, whatever. A lot of women don't care about the occasional eyecandy, true. But a lot do, so deal with it.

    I mean, the whole IM RITE AND UR RONG/NO U/FUCK U IM OUTTA HERE thing is your bag, I know, but would it hurt to actually make an effort once in a while? I'm open to reasonable discussion. I mean, say..provide an example beyond "this giant armoured woman has giant armoured tits, therefore the entire fucking enterprise is unremittingly sexist (in my opinion)". That'd be a good start.
    God dammit you're doing it again. Your entire post is filled with nothing but cartoonish misinterpretations of what I'm actually saying -- this is why I stormed off because the reality is the opposite of what you said. You're not even trying to engage in reasonable discussion! You're accusing me of insisting that I'm right and not listening to others, when frankly all your posts are THAT'S NOT HOW WOMEN ARE I KNOW HOW THEY ARE YOU'RE WRONG, BTW IRRELEVANT SHIT ABOUT MINIATURES AND COMBAT NUNS. So you'll excuse me if I feel like trying to explain things to you is pointless.

  15. #40
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    Dragged back in.

    Don't.

    Chill out.

    Read the Bible or something.

  16. #41
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    why specifically the bible

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    'Mute All' got patched in shortly after release, and you most definitely can mute anyone who has a mic connected regardless of whether they're talking or not.
    Call me stupid, but I had an embarrassing number of hours in the game (500+, sheepish me) and I still cannot find a "mute all," nor any mute at all when the person is not talking. Nor could anyone else in the game direct me to it. Care to explain exactly how this is done?

    The only way I am aware of is to click on the little microphone icon that appears beside someone's name in the score list when they are talking. When they stop talking, the icon disappears, and clicking on the area does nothing.

  18. #43
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2012
    Location: Poland
    @dethtoll, W40K design is meant to be sexist in same way it is xenophobic, and would You assume that man (i.e. me, a thin person) could be offended by sexist presentation of male humans. Isn't it funny that some clumsy nerds are not offended by Heman, Conan, all Marvel heroes but instead they applause to them?

  19. #44
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town

  20. #45
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sg3 View Post
    Call me stupid, but I had an embarrassing number of hours in the game (500+, sheepish me) and I still cannot find a "mute all," nor any mute at all when the person is not talking.
    You're stupid:


    And the voice chat icon appears if a person has a mic hooked up at all, not only if they're talking, since it's open mic only, which is why 'Mute All' was such a heavily requested option. If there had been push-to-talk, it wouldn't have been such a problem.

  21. #46
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Draggy the Dragons house
    well, I know quite a few women who would love to have big tits.

    dethtoll ffs just give it a rest, this is exactly the kind of off tangent wankery that was being discussed about koki on facebook, not every thread is your soapbox to rant about your narrow-minded views.

  22. #47
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: 4 doors down, bad side of town
    Narrowminded? What the fuck?

    Actually no, you know what, forget it, I don't want your rationale. Remember that long discussion on fb about portrayals of women? You didn't get it then and I have no hope that anything has changed in the interim.

  23. #48
    Oh Jesus fucking Christ TTLG.

    Look, I appreciate that gaming is a medium largely defined by men, for boys, about power trips and tits and using a big sword/gun/nuke to get the cute heroine to fall in love and fuck you until you die.

    But fucking A. This is TTLG, and WH40K: Space Marine has much bigger problems then tits. Like the fact that the combo system is Button A 1 to 4 times then Button B. Like the fact that the plot is "KILL EVERYTHING. LOL, SUCKS TO BE YOU."



    We're better then this.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    Like the fact that the combo system is Button A 1 to 4 times then Button B.
    How is this fundamentally different than every other combo system in the history of ever? Batman: Arkham games the combo system is 'Push button A. A lot. Occasionally push button B to counter.'

  25. #50
    Fafhrd.....I've gotten perfect freeflow 2.0 in Arkham City.

    Do you actually want me to go into details? About avoidance moves? About the fact that you've got not 1, not 2, but 6 gadgets? Instant takedown counters? Weapon destruction counters? Stuns? Redirects? Multi-ground takedowns? Beat-downs? Aerial attacks?

    Shall I go into button counts? Cause fucking batman doesn't need 2 like it was the NES days.

    Are you just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole? Or shall I go over all the details?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •