TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Need to map an ai to make skin

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Need to map an ai to make skin

Hi,

I have a custom ai, but has no skin. It functions fine in T2, but because of it's size I need to map it to make a skin. I have uvmapper for wavefront obj files. Is there one for Thief?
    If not, I take it I have to convert it to 3ds to .obj file in order to map a skin ?

Thanks for any help.

I use UVMapper because I'm a simple soul and can't figure out LithUnwrap. But a lot of folk like it a lot. It is much more capable than UVMapper and about 1000 times as confusing as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Larry,

Thankyou, that does look difficult, but I will check it out. I can never get bintoe to work properly for me.

LithUnwrap is not difficult at all. I used it to texture map the custom AI I made for King's Story. If UV mapper works for you then that's fine, but I must admit that I'm baffled by anyone saying LithUnwrap is hard.

My version has a few more selection buttons, but using that screenshot as a reference:
    The 'mouse arrow' button: click or drag to select (and use shift to add to the selection and ctrl to remove)
    The 4-way arrow: drag to move the view around, saves zooming out
    Magnifying glass: drag to zoom in/out.

Magnifying glass in the box: Drag to select an area, program zooms in on it.

The next three buttons only matter if the 'mouse arrow' button is selected:
    The three +s: select vertices
    Triangle: select polygons
    Two rectangles: select all polys in a group.
    (for the latter two, selecting a vertex will select the whole poly/group)

To move a selected item, you need to put your mouse in one of the squares over the vertices, even if you've just selected by polygon.

Some other useful things:
    Options, Preferences.... increase the number of undos. It's always 10 when you start the program. A few more zeros won't hurt.

Select a number of vertices and go to Edit > Weld. No points are actually deleted.

Make a selection and go to Edit > Scale. 'Arbitrary' gives you a window where you can set specific amounts. 'Free' lets you resize by dragging the corners of the bounding box.

Edit > Move > Arbitrary: Precise control over movement (e.g. set how much to move with each click, and move in just one direction).

With one or more polys selected, you can set up a basic UV map via Tools > UV mapping. You can then scale/rotate etc to make things fit.

Other things in that menu are self explanatory.

The grey box represents the texture. The image can be loaded but it takes a few steps:
    Materials > Modify > Add.
    Give it some name, then OK.
    Select the new material and go to Properties.
    In the Maps tab, Map type: bitmap, click on Properties in the Diffuse section, then Change
    It only supports a small range if image formats.

Go back to the main menu. View > Material. Select the material and Apply. The texture will disappear each time you use the Undo function, so you have to use the View menu again.

Showing/Hiding polys:
    If your Anim8or object is in several parts, you can export (3ds or obj) and LithUnwrap will put each part in its own group. You can use the Groups > Hide/Unide menu to control how much you see.

In LithUnwrap you can set up your own groups:
    Select some polys, then go to Groups > Modify > Add, give it a name, then click on Assign. Now you can hide/show your selection.

Finally, Preview > Show model saves you having to send it back to Anim8or to see how it looks.

I think that covers everything.
    Last edited by R Soul; 2nd Jul 2012 at 22:30.

Thanks Robin, I will copy this to my notebook.

One more question to the modeler's out there. If I were to use mesh scale, and scale an Ai, to say 12 feet high, how would just 1 .gif 256x256 skin it ? I have seen some models, though regular size with .gif, and a .tif -2 skins for one ai.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 3rd Jul 2012 at 10:01.

It's just like with ordinary objects, a single texture might start to look blurred but it depends on what's in the texture - plain fabric or lots of fancy detail. The mesh can use as many textures as you need.

Thankyou ! This is probably one of the few models I will ever tackle. I made a nice high poly sword in 3dmax 5 many years ago, and also a box, but the sword was too high poly for thief. Looking at animator8, it looks much simpler to use. I am really more interested in creating stories, and learning more about ai scripting. A model maker, I am not.