TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Halloween Contest

Halloween Contest

TTLG Fan Missions Forum presents:

The
    HALLOWEEN
    Contest

Create a new mission in Dromed either from scratch or using any existing Thief level as a base. Existing levels could be either an OM, an FM or an Abandoned mission.

If you wish to use an existing mission as a base, Yandros & NV have created a file that will help delete old data from a mission file. Get it here. Check out the readme for the details, but you can essentially delete old AI, objectives, markers, keys, and books quickly to get a clean start (btw, thanks for the file guys!) More information here.

If you use an Abandoned mission, please make sure you credit the original author. Missions can be found at The Weary Taffer.

If you use an OM, you can get the unstripped versions of all the OMS at The Circle (link). Use these instead of the ones in your Thief directory, which are incomplete for editing purposes.

Rules:

1. Contest begins on 2nd July 2012.
    2. Contest ends on 30th October 2012 (to be confirmed).
    3. The mission must have a Halloween theme or at least be "scary".
    4. There is no size limit.
    5. You are allowed to use OMs.
    6. You are allowed to use FMs and abandoned FMs, given that the approval of the original author(s) has been obtained.
    7. You may work together with others or on your own.

NOTE If you use an FM, you MUST get permission from the original author. This will be checked.

You are allowed to use your own previously released FMs as a base.

PRIZES

There will be prizes graciously donated by darthslair and epithumia. Lucky winners will have the opportunity to jump into a pool to retrieve a prize. NB. Please ensure you can swim before attempting this feat.

THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH FURTHER INFORMATION AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

Discussion Thread
    Last edited by nickie; 4th Jul 2012 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    If you wish to use an existing mission as a base, Yandros & NV have created a file that will help delete old data from a mission file. Get it here.
    There's a flaw with that way of deleting things. It selects various types of object one at a time (all types at once can cause a crash) and then deletes them. If there are no instances of a particular type, some other brush will be deleted instead because the delete_brush command targets whatever happens to be selected.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    What I have done to clear a mission of objects is to use the filter option, and use an area brush to multibrush all of the objects and then delete the brush. You must not multibrush particles because it will have a tendency to mess up the mission . Other times, I have left some objects like furniture, and used a custom model to replace it. It saves a little time not to have to place the object anew again if it fits in the scheme of things. Porting T1 into T2 has taught me some valuable lessons.

You can add Difficulty > Destroy to all objects and then process difficulty

Great idea ! Like this ? Hilight_obj_type, hilight_add_prop destroy

Yes, but the property name is diffdestroy. It's also wise to first use hilight_rem_prop because some objects might already have the property.

Good thought Robin, I might ought to rewrite that cmd file to do it that way. Or maybe laziness will win out.

Too late. Here is a list of instructions:
    http://dromed.whoopdedo.org/dromed/deleteallobjs

I'm updating the first post here and in Fan Missions regardless of whether the information is relevant to EdGuild or not. I'm quite sure if I tried to sort by relevance, I'd post the wrong thing in the wrong place.

So, the first post has been updated to add this thread re: mission stripping and Prizes!

Thinking about taking a shot at this...

Hmmm... I've never tried any of these contests. I think I could squeez in time for this. That will give me time to relax from the FM set I'm working on. I'll have to team up with someone, though. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    Hmmm... I've never tried any of these contests. I think I could squeez in time for this. That will give me time to relax from the FM set I'm working on. I'll have to team up with someone, though. Any takers?
    Glad to hear you have some interest in this Halloween Contest. Remember you can reload an fm with the Author's Permission, or anything you choose. Welcome !

Some questions about the contest.

Are people still working on entries? I know one or two have replied in the Fan Missions thread. I know this new patch thingy (NewDark, is that the correct name? New Dark?) will occupy people's minds for some time so it's more than natural that you might have been playing around with that rather than working on missions. Would an extension help in keeping submission numbers up.

A large number of prizes have been offered by darthsLair and epithumia so it's quite possible we'll have more prizes than entrants! Lord Soth has just offered a Thief Mug to the winner.

epithumia posted this some time ago but there's been no answer to the hardware question.
    Quote Originally Posted by epithumia View Post
    To sweeten the pot (and since I promised), I'm definitely offering the following:

$50 Amazon gift certificate (I will purchase it at the regional amazon of your choice and convert the currenty accordingly, though you might have to help me out if I don't speak the local language.)
    $25 Amazon gift certificate (same caveat)
    GOG.com gift code for the Thief game of your choice.

I would also like to offer some computer hardware in an attempt to, I don't know, make it easier for folks to create better missions or something. Unfortunately I'm stumped as to what I could offer that would do this. USB sticks? Big hard drive? Some RAM?
    And then there's this question from Sticky Fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Just thinking out loud here.

Wouldn't having some entries based on 1.18 & some based on 1.19 kind of negate this as a contest? Wouldn't authors using 1.18 be at a considerable disadvantage? Sure, graphics & smooth performance aren't everything - but it's very likely to effect the voting.

Perhaps the 2012 Haloween Contest could be the last 1.18 - based contest: sort of a nostalgia thing? (with 1.19 bound to take over after that).
    I know darthsLair has moved to 1.19 and one or two others have stuck with 1.18. I've only played around with DrK's R4 alpha so far (great frame rate on rooftops now) so I don't really know what effect using NewDark will have.

Opinions appreciated.

Well because of what I've did in my entry, I can't optimize in version 1.19 because of the terrain brushes I've used. The reason for this is that I've did some exploring with the prim_special command to get my ceiling trim corners, 12 gon cylinders (type 1&2) and pyramids (also type 1&2). In version 1.19, although all of these terrain types are still in there, those terrain brush numbers are changed to make room for those 26 gon cylinders (you can also find 28 gon cylinders in there). So therefore, I'll have to stay with version 1.18 to continue working on the terrain layout.

12 sided cylinders in 1.18?
    28 sided cylinders in 1.19?

How did you do that? Unless you're kidding, of course...

Here's how to get those...

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    12 sided cylinders in 1.18?
    28 sided cylinders in 1.19?

How did you do that? Unless you're kidding, of course...
    I was looking in the menus file, scoping out the commands for the terrain brushes. The wedge and dodecahedron were considered as prim_special.
    ex: prim_special 9 "gives you a dodecahedron" | prim_special 10 "gives you a wedge"

So, I was throwing in higher numbers. It wasn't until I've got to 23 where it was starting to give me a 3 sided cylinder. Checking the numbers, I've found out that you can get a cylinder with sides of 3-12 with the numbers 23-32. But there's another type of a cylinder 33-42 will give you a 3-12 sided cylinder facing a different way (at 90 degrees, I think). Now 43-52 will give you the pyramids with sides 3-12. Just like the cylinders, 53-62 will give you the pyramids 3-12 facing a different way too. Now, 63-72 will give you the Apex-pyramid with sides 3-12. And for last, 73-82 will give you the Apex-pyramid with sides 3-12 facing the different way. This is where I've found my lovely ceiling trim corner that fit perfectly with two wedges (74).

Now for version 1.19, I would have to do some exploring to find the right numbers.

CAUTION: If you happen to use the 12 sided cylinder in version 1.18 or the 28 sided cylinder in version 1.19, you'll have to cap off the ends with solids. These sides won't render well and could even crash DromEd. So, rule of thumb. Cap off the 11th and 12th side in version 1.18 or the 27th and 28th side in version 1.19.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Though I have to say that that doesn't sound very safe - not safe at all!

I tried it and while it actually did give me 12-sided stuff, DromEd crashed as soon as I entered game mode. Is getting two extra sides really worth the risk of getting a crash at any time?

Nah, come over to the darker side instead: We are all floating down here.

Copied from my post in Fan Missions contest thread.

I think we can all agree that the new patch, glorious though it is, has caused a bit of a hiatus to the contest. So, I'm suggesting that Halloween gets stretched a bit to last for whatever we think is a reasonable period of time. In other words, entries can be submitted over 2/3/4 weeks or whatever's agreed. We've got one new late entry anyway and I did notice Zoro mentioning an interest. Would the extra time enable him/her to enter?

Al_B has created a hunky new poll for us. Each mission will be rated in different categories so you won't need to have played every mission before voting. You won't need to remember what you thought about one mission till after you've played all the missions. And votes can be changed right up until voting closes if you want to adjust a vote later.

Thoughts anyone?

Thats a great idea Nickie !

Information about where/how to submit missions for the contest will be posted up on 30th, just in case someone's ready then.

Important (to me) - I'd like to ensure that the foreign language sites have the relevant information slightly in advance of that date to give time for translation. So, can anyone tell me who are the relevant people to contact.

And as a small aside, I'd really like to see the first 1.19 contest based around the theft of Le Patch from Le Corbeau, who is obviously a shady character, definitely dodgy, and undoubtedly a worthy foe for Garrett.

As I'm sort of moving and on and off internetless, I'm afraid I forgot to update this with the mission entry and voting details. They can be found here.