TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: What've You Found Little Fly. 5 July 2012

Fix for Crashes !?!

I think I found the reason for the crashes that some of you (and myself) see from time to time.
    The tnhScript.osm shipping with this mission does not have the same version as the other tnh-script files.
    If you experience crashes and would like to give it a try, please download the tnhScript 2.1 here.
    EDIT: From the ZIP, extract tnhScript.osm and drop into LittleFly.zip so that it replaces the existing one there before installing the mission.
    I just made a quick but complete runthrough on EXPERT and had 0 crashes.

@Xorak, I also dropped NVScript.osm.
    Doing so did not fix the problem by its own, but since it is not used at all (if I understood correct), I decided to kick it.
    Maybe it has some conflicting scipts? Don't know. At least I noticed nothing missing or not working doing so.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 7th Jul 2012 at 09:24.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Fix for Crashes !?!

I think I found the reason for the crashes that some of you (and myself) see from time to time.
    The tnhScript.osm shipping with this mission does not have the same version as the other tnh-script files.
    If you experience crashes and would like to give it a try, please download the tnhScript 2.1 here.
    From the ZIP, extract tnhScript.osm and drop it in your Thief2 folder after having installed LittleFly
    I just made a quick complete runthrough on EXPERT and had 0 crashes.
    The tnhscript.osm file in the mission zip is dated 11/05/2005, but probably because i always have the v2.1 tnhscript.osm file in my Thief 2 game folder, the one from the mission zip doesn't replace it. So i have been playing all along with the 2.1 version, yet i still got crashes every now and then anyway.

I also noticed loads take slightly longer, then other FMs, even big ones.

Archivist
    Congratulations with your first FM release, Xorak

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    The tnhscript.osm file in the mission zip is dated 11/05/2005, but probably because i always have the v2.1 tnhscript.osm file in my Thief 2 game folder, the one from the mission zip doesn't replace it.
    Good point !
    But maybe there are other taffers like me who have no scripts installed at all by default.
    I updated the description above to prevent people messing up their scripts in case they have tnh already.
    At any rate you could try to delete NVScript.osm from the mission ZIP and then reinstall the mission.
    It should not be used any more by the mission.
    Hell, I don't know. At least I don't have any crashes anymore.

Just made another quick runthrough.
    On HARD with the tnhScript replaced, but this time leaving NVScript.osm in place, so the mission can find & use it.
    The first crash appeared after 3 minutes in the game.

Try this : after installing the mission, TEMPORARILY rename NVScript.osm to something else.
    Start the game & load your savegame and see if it helps.
    Do not forget to restore NVScript.osm afterwards !

My mom is passing away, so playing thief is a way to keep my head free for a while....
    I'm loving this one but completely stuck. I haven'r found the hook and the skull keyUpstairs there's a metal door I cannot open and I tried thowing water arrows at the cistern to no avail
    Any help is highly appreciated, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maga View Post
    My mom is passing away, so playing thief is a way to keep my head free for a while....
    I'm loving this one but completely stuck. I haven'r found the hook and the skull keyUpstairs there's a metal door I cannot open and I tried thowing water arrows at the cistern to no avail
    Any help is highly appreciated, thanks
    Sorry to hear that, maga.
    And I do not know what to say. One of my most beloved aunts passed away 5 days ago. Terrible.
    But for sure that is no comparison.

For your questions:
    For the hook check the big hall with the demon and check Stephanus' room for the key.
    I have no idea what cistern you mean or why you might be trying to use water arrows it.
    For sure you are on the wrong track... whatever you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by maga View Post
    Aww so sad to hear....sending you and her a big (((Hug)))

thief has helped me through many things also.

Stuck I have placed the red and yellow wire but I do not know what this is supposed to do?? I opened the switch for the lights. Where do I go after this??

EDIT: OK I was standing in the way of the steel hatch for the other light switch, so it did not open before!!
    Last edited by pwl; 7th Jul 2012 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    Stuck I have placed the red and yellow wire but I do not know what this is supposed to do?? I opened the switch for the lights. Where do I go after this??
    Did you throw the right switch ?
    The one above the lock ? The purple light nearby should light up.

And a new AI should have appeared.

Need some help again, just a tiny shove in the right direction would be great -

I'm at the tower area of the inner tunnels, near where the mage is trapped behind the barrier. I have the urn of scalding blood. I've pretty much done everything and been everywhere, and have no unique items in my inventory besides the urn and a bunch of books/scrolls and keys.

I'm assuming reaching the upper tower has something to do with the wisp. How do I get up there and/or free the trapped mage (who I assume is the traitor mage)?

Thanks in advance. This is an awesome mission btw, an instant classic. There are so many things for the player to do. Plus, I really love Mage missions, especially as rare as they are. This is a great "reload" of RI, I find myself getting repeatedly turned around in a mission I've played dozens of times, proof that Xorak did a great job here.

I love all the small details and little touches too, even stuf like the mask saying "You've done well."

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'm assuming reaching the upper tower has something to do with the wisp. How do I get up there and/or free the trapped mage (who I assume is the traitor mage)?
    Are you playing on Expert ? Only then you need the wisp.
    Have you found the ring already?
    On Expert you need both items to get up, but only one can go into your inventory.

This is off-topic off course, but you may still consider it a hint.
    J.R. Tolkien: >>One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.<<

Your guess is right about the mage.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 7th Jul 2012 at 15:14.

OK, finally finished - that was a ton of fun there, thanks much Xorak. The only issue I had was near the end, my save games were getting corrupted where I could not load them every time, so I often had to go back and redo a recent portion of the mission - no actually in-game crashes though. Seemed like the framerate got a little laggy near the end too. Overall, a great thiefy experience. Look forward to more of your missions in the future.

Oh! There's one thing I forgot to mention before: I think I may have found a bug that hasn't been listed yet.

When I put the green gem inside Shardang(sp?)'s body and picked it up to carry it away, it got stuck there after a little bit. . as in, I was unable to drop the body or "use" it against anything. Normally when you pick up a body the little Garrett-carrying-body image will appear near the bottom of the screen, but if you carry this body long enough, the image will disappear and that's when you will be unable to drop it.

I got around this issue by carrying the body a few feet, dropping it before it could get stuck, carrying it a few more feet, etc, until I got where I needed to be.
    Just thought I should let you know.

The body thing confused me for awhile too, but it's actually not a bug.
    When you pick up that particular body, it becomes an item in your inventory. When your inventory disappears off-screen, you have to scroll back to the item labelled "so-and-so's body" to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post

I meant ante-hall/vestibul/corridor before Mortus' rooms. Sorry.
    I checked this area, but I still didn't find anything. . I'm afraid I'll need a spoiler for the bone key.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    The body thing confused me for awhile too, but it's actually not a bug.
    When you pick up that particular body, it becomes an item in your inventory. When your inventory disappears off-screen, you have to scroll back to the item labelled "so-and-so's body" to drop it.
    Yeah, this was the only way I could actually make the player interact with the mage's body and the hook. It doesn't work if the player carries the body like a regular body.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Taffer View Post
    I checked this area, but I still didn't find anything. . I'm afraid I'll need a spoiler for the bone key.
    It's sitting beside a chest, on top of a table, south of where you climb the stairs into Mortus' upper floor apartment.

Thanks!

Also, creative use of the body! Glad to know that's not actually a bug.

Thanks!

Also, creative use of the body! Glad to know that's not actually a bug.

Update: Well, I think that's it for me. I'm not going to be able to finish this since my last save is inexplicably screwed. Trying to give my overall impression of this game is difficult, since there were a lot of amazing things about it, but the frustration level and the sheer amount of crashes this game had were almost not worth it. If this huge crashing problem were able to be fixed, I'd give this mission a solid gold star.
    What I really liked about it was how innovative, atmospheric and beautifully constructed it was. I loved how the layout was familiar, yet at the same time it felt completely new and fresh. I'm especially impressed by the fact that this is your first FM, Xorak! Keep making more!. . hopefully next time with less crashing.

Anyone got a walkthrough?

I have the generator wired up and switched on, but what do you use to open the gate to go upstairs?

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Update: Well, I think that's it for me. I'm not going to be able to finish this since my last save is inexplicably screwed.
    Sorry about the crashing. There will be a newer version coming out in a bit, as the source of the crashing becomes a little clearer. Did you try the fixes gnartsch posted a few posts earlier? In posts 101 and 104.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hammerite View Post
    Anyone got a walkthrough?

I have the generator wired up and switched on, but what do you use to open the gate to go upstairs?
    Inside the large kitchen area you might notice that the elevator highlights when you are near it. Maybe you could find something to put on it. There's a sign right near by that hints to what might go on it: some type of creature.

I installed the new script, but that didn't do anything for my savegame which still crashes the game if I try to load it. However, maybe I'll try playing the mission fresh from the beginning and see if any crashes happen again.

i like this fm alot even though i lost my save file,it was the most puzzly type fm i played in a long time,great job,i hope to see more fan missions from you ,but please make next mission have more room to get around

Where do I find the potion to break through the walls in the main hall?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechs Delight View Post
    Where do I find the potion to break through the walls in the main hall?
    You don't, you must find another way in.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast