TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Deus Ex: Hollywood Revolution

Taking a break
    lol

I never asked for this.

What a shame.

A bomb!

Knows his stuff
    It's the maintenance man, he knows I like orange!

guys am i doing it rite

On topic: Studios buying the rights to make movies based on games happens a lot more often than those movies actually being made. I'll start anticipating/dreading this movie once we hear some details about who's writing/directing/starring in it. There's really no reason why movies based on games wouldn't work as well as those based on comic books. All it takes is someone who likes the game and has a strong vision about what part of the game's story might translate into a good movie-story.

Well, now that you mention, how many good comic book movies are there? I'm not really into comics, so the only thing that comes to my mind is Dark Knight. You might be tempted to reference some of these Avengers films, but the truth is that the only thing they really have going for them is humour. If that's not in, they hit anywhere between crap and mediocre.

Now, sure, with a proper team of film makers there's no reason a video game setting couldn't host an excellent movie. Adapted plot... maybe, but a lot trickier unless we're talking about a plain old "press X to cutscene" game. Sure, I'm simplifying here, but I'm nearly done at work and I'm trying to stay on the side of brevity.

If they make a Deus Ex movie that's as good as The Avengers, I will not complain.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    The 2nd Hellboy flick is good. Not so much the first.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    If they make a Deus Ex movie that's as good as The Avengers, I will not complain.
    "Good" as in "we will first make several prequel movies introducting all the main characters and only then we will do the real movie because it's impossible to not fuck it up otherwise"?

hey, at least that way all those bossfight mercs might get some actual character...

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    They did, it's in the tie-in novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    "Good" as in "we will first make several prequel movies introducting all the main characters and only then we will do the real movie because it's impossible to not fuck it up otherwise"?
    Okay.

I'd settle for comparable to Iron Man or Captain America. In fact, I think Captain America would be a decent template for it, in many respects ("setting" obviously not one of them). Thor would not be such a good model, not because I have anything against the movie, but... It is what it is. I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk. Iron Man 2 might actually be the most realistic comparison; serviceable without much more to say about it.

Hell, I'd settle for Watchmen quality.

I'm just... I'm just afraid they're going to really ruin it. Like, Uwe Boll ruin it.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 12th Jul 2012 at 12:54.

This really happen?

If this had gone down in 2001 I'd have been pretty stoked. 2013 is a bit ... late?
    But whatever, it can't be as bad as most video game movies. At least there's material here for an actual story.

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Well, now that you mention, how many good comic book movies are there? I'm not really into comics, so the only thing that comes to my mind is Dark Knight.
    Ok, honestly the only ones I'd class as a Great Movies are The Dark Knight and American Splendor, but there are also a bunch of Very Good ones, including most of the Batman films, and Watchmen(it took me a few re-watches to realize just how good it is). So far, game based movies have at the best only managed to be Good Movies.

While I think a good movie could be made out of the Deus Ex universe, I don't think any of the games would translate well into a movie. So you'd need a good sci-fi writer who really *gets* DX to come up with a screenplay that captures the themes and essence of the game in an original story. Good luck finding that today. Also, it would have to be big budget, since a key part of Deus Ex is having unique, futuristic, and immersive worldwide locations and another key part (augmentation) requires a lot of special effects. I suspect they will give up on it because it's just too ambitious.

Also, I would think there's a fairly big issue with interpretation of playstyle. Like, are you filming murderymcmurder jensen, or tippytoes pacifist jensen, or sneakysneak ghost jensen?

Given the emphasis in the games on allowing you operational freedom but then also acknowledging your actions (whatever they are), I don't know how well "he does it THIS way" would go down.

Of course, badguys/goons in movies often get killed in their hundreds without the hero looking particularly like a monster, so maybe it won't be a problem.

But then of course there's the "I never asked for this/HEY HOLYSHIT I CAN PUNCH THROUGH WALLS THIS IS SO MUCH WIN" options, too: angsty jensen or aug-bro jensen?

Seems to me that anything which is free-form in the games can be a character arc in the movie. The main character could totally go from "I never asked for this" to "Sweet, I can punch through walls!" over the course of the film.

Knows his stuff
    Jesus Christ you guys, he's not going to be jumping off buildings and punching through walls and generally fucking around with his newfound powers just for the hell of it. He's not Spiderman. He's... more like RoboCop, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    [JC Denton] you guys, he's not going to be jumping off buildings and punching through walls and generally fucking around with his newfound powers just for the hell of it.
    Well... I know I did!