TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: playing Thief after 10 years

playing Thief after 10 years

finally been able to play Thief again after 10 year. . i still love this game as i did in 2001.
    Last edited by azeemjavaid; 29th Jul 2012 at 03:36.

Another one! Welcome.

Lots of information, missions etc. awaits you here. I also returned to the City after almost a decade and I do not regret it. Despite waiting for the summer and heat to end as it is the enemy no. 1 for Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by azeemjavaid View Post
    finally been able to play Thief again after 10 year. . i still love this game as i did in 2001.
    Glad you've replayed this game again 10 years after. I myself first started playing only last year and I started with TDS aka Thief 3. I loved the game so much that I purchased the trillogy. Including Thief GOLD. I'm actually able to play this and Thief 2 on my speedy laptop with a bit of tweeks here and there to get it to run correctly. I loved thief 3 so much. My friends said I should play the first two. Currently I'm on the mission in Thief Gold right after The Guild mission. Which I found very difficult to play. I've gotten more lost in the map then any other game. No matter where I go I seem to backtrack to where I started. I'll eventually get it though it may take some time. Nice to hear that you still love the game.

Welcome, and welcome back, to the forums. It's great to see so many new members here and some old members returning after so long a time. There is a huge list of excellent missions waiting for you.

I really didn't want to start a new thread until I complied my thoughts on Thief Gold. These are just my inital thoughts on the misson called "The Sword". Designing genius. OMG the way this was designed is amazing. I'm totally lost in the level design of this. Litterlly I'm lost so easily. I'm not sure where to go in it. With the twists and turns upsidedown rooms. I hope I'm not spoiling this for anyone. Forgive me if I am. Admins may know if I am or not. Anyhoot, I know given some time I'll be able to get out of the mission and on to the next. Let me say that this game is hard. The guards swordmanship is really hard to combat. Even emersed in darkness I've been seen this could be a bug. Just my inital thoughts and I felt it was best posted in this thread.

I believe "The Sword" is the most complex and impressive 3D level ever designed for any game ever. Which is why the super-nerd in me just HAD to reconstruct it in Dark Mod, if only to see for myself once and for all where everything is and how it all fits together!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Komag, you tease you. I'd LOVE to see The Sword via Dark Mod. THAT would be incredible, and I bet awesome.

Fizbop, the more you play, the better you'll get, trust me, you will. Just explore, explore, explore. That is the beauty of this game. For the guards, learn to circle strafe, bit of an open area, circle strafe. Wield that sword, and take them down. Today, for me, the guards are too easy now. Or your black jack is your best friend. Ghosting, we'll leave that for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Komag View Post
    I believe "The Sword" is the most complex and impressive 3D level ever designed for any game ever. Which is why the super-nerd in me just HAD to reconstruct it in Dark Mod, if only to see for myself once and for all where everything is and how it all fits together!
    it was a very impressive map. I had gotten so lost in there. I'm now on the Mages

It's been over 10 years I think for me I think

Recently saw Thief on Steam, and it included Thief 2, Thief Gold, and Thief Deadly Shadows and just had to get it. I missed when TDS came out so this will be my first time trying it.

Played through Thief Gold again, and even as old as it is, it still satisfies a certain gaming craving that no other game can.

I've visited back here every so often over the years and am amazed that I still see some familiar names here. I think that's awesome.

I only played the series a couple of years ago because I'd heard good things about it. Dayum good decision it was. I was actually unbelievably terrible at first, missing a lot of loot and getting lost constantly. I was somewhat disappointed with the first game, I didn't expect so many zombies and monsters, and I also expected to be robbing from mansions and such most of the time. Still, I thought it was a good game though I wasn't sure I'd play it again. And then I played it again a few months later because I couldn't get it off my mind. I'm actually quite fond of it now, especially The Sword and Song of the Caverns. Currently, I'm playing Thief II for about the third time (now this game I loved from the start).

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    I only played the series a couple of years ago because I'd heard good things about it. Dayum good decision it was. I was actually unbelievably terrible at first, missing a lot of loot and getting lost constantly. I was somewhat disappointed with the first game, I didn't expect so many zombies and monsters, and I also expected to be robbing from mansions and such most of the time. Still, I thought it was a good game though I wasn't sure I'd play it again. And then I played it again a few months later because I couldn't get it off my mind. I'm actually quite fond of it now, especially The Sword and Song of the Caverns. Currently, I'm playing Thief II for about the third time (now this game I loved from the start).
    I recently finished Thief Gold. I found it to be a great game. Yes, you get lost alot. I found this out the hard way. I'm currently playing Thief II The Metal Age. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. currently I'm trying to escape the ambush. I was framed you see lol. I'm having fun with it and just diving deep into the gameplay.

I'm so glad you're enjoying THIEF, Fizbop...I would very much like to hear a detailed account of your experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I'm so glad you're enjoying THIEF, Fizbop...I would very much like to hear a detailed account of your experience...
    You know me , I am a very detailed kinda guy. I'll be posting my thoughts on it. Meanwhile Enjoying the game and surrounding myself with it.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Thief and the associated FMs are the only game I play. The appeal to me is that the player must develop the skill set needed. There are no automatic upgrades or skill improvements. It is all YOU.

The open maps are also attractive. If a player wants to retrace steps or reexamine some section the player can do so as long as you don't complete all the objectives.

I've wandered around a map for hours on end. Love TDP/Gold/TMA. Am disappointed with the replayability of T3, but can live with it.

I have used The City as the background for a couple of stories and written a mission by mission "Journal" on TGOLD from the perspective of Garrett.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post

I have used The City as the background for a couple of stories and written a mission by mission "Journal" on TGOLD from the perspective of Garrett.
    do you have a link for that? I'm very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I'm so glad you're enjoying THIEF, Fizbop
    Agreed! Very cool