TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Stained Glass Lighting

Stained Glass Lighting

During my Lightwave years, the tutorials all agreed that lighting was the most difficult thing to achieve that look of realism. It seems the same rule is true in the game world.

When sunlight shines through a stained glass window, the colors add a subtle, rainbow-like ambience to the room. I've tried laying down several omnilight sources near my window, trying different strengths and color combos, but am unable to achieve the effect.

Hue = 1
    Saturation =1
    Normally, this would be a strong red if used by itself. But if I add a blue, yellow, and green omnilight with the same values, they seem to cancel out one another. I used the same trick in my Qeradiant days, and it seemed to work well. I'm thinking it's probably the limitation of the rendering engine.

Who is the light master in this group?

A real window with white light passing through it will gives you nice reds and blues etc. I don't know of any way with dromed to run a white light through an object to achieve the same effect. And if you try to recreate this using many different colors you just end up with white as the colors blend. Perhaps somebody could come up with a multicolored light beam object?

ZylonBane
    Sunlight is highly parallel, so you want each beam of color to have very little spread. Practice setting it up in an empty white room before trying it on a populated textured scene.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    The only thing I can think of Terry is a Light shaft. One of the model makers might be able to make a rainbow effect, or there may be a way of combining them using alpa's.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 29th Jul 2012 at 15:56.

Have you tried to make it using difrent colour spotlights?

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    The only thing I can think of Terry is a Light shaft. One of the model makers might be able to make a rainbow effect, or there may be a way of combining them using alpa's.
    I'm sure LarryG is stroking his chin right now, thinking about it...

What I did in Requiem For A Thief was to have ambient and sunlight the bright yellowish orange of a setting sun, then I used decals on the floor and walls of the stained glass windows as they would project on the floor and walls. I think I used just yellow light shafts as well. Placing multiple light shafts of different colours might enhance it more, but might also get complicated since you'd be trying to match the colour layout of the window. But it could be done, and since you canmake the shafts spotlights and set their colour, you might naturally get the coloured lighting effect you're aiming for. But I think putting the stained glass texture on the terrain as a decal will also go a long way to conveying the warmth and colour of the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    A real window with white light passing through it will gives you nice reds and blues etc. I don't know of any way with dromed to run a white light through an object to achieve the same effect. And if you try to recreate this using many different colors you just end up with white as the colors blend. Perhaps somebody could come up with a multicolored light beam object?
    I had some translucent (slightly transparent) stained glass windows with very bright spotlights on the outside set at a late afternoon angle shining through them. Admittedly, the stained glass was mostly yellows, but the light in the room did take on the color of the glass it shone through, and the non-transparent parts of the windows did cast shadows, it wasn't sharp images, but still . . . I gave it up as too much of a pain to get the angle of the sun correctly from every window, but you could try something like that if there is no way for anyone to get outside and see what you are doing.

Looks like using colored spotlights shining onto the floor, with a bright white omnilight against the glass works best. Just need to add some light shafts and it'll be good to go.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Admittedly, the stained glass was mostly yellows, but the light in the room did take on the color of the glass it shone through
    WHAT?!