TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing thief: the dark project on windows 7

installing thief: the dark project on windows 7

Hi!

I'm trying to install Thief: the dark project on my windows 7. This is what I've done so far:

1. I've installed thief using the "d:\setup.exe -lgntforce" trick.
    2. I've installed the 1.33 patch
    3. I've installed the tfix: unofficial patch for thief 1/gold.

Am I forgetting something? As a result, I get as far as the menu after clicking on the thief.exe file. Up until this point, everything seems to work fine. However, as soon as I click on "start training" or "skip training", the game crashes. Also the movies don't work, and the options screens are quite buggy.

Can anyone please help me install Thief 1? I'll try to install Thief 2 afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    Hi!

I'm trying to install Thief: the dark project on my windows 7. This is what I've done so far:

Am I forgetting something? As a result, I get as far as the menu after clicking on the thief.exe file. Up until this point, everything seems to work fine. However, as soon as I click on "start training" or "skip training", the game crashes. Also the movies don't work, and the options screens are quite buggy.

Can anyone please help me install Thief 1? I'll try to install Thief 2 afterwards.
    Just currious if yo uhave a dual core processor. If so you can set the affinity to only one core. Also you may need to run it in compatable verision of xp and as administrator.

Zombified
    you have the french version, I assume? currently, TFix only fully supports the english version. try opening your install.cfg in notepad and change language english to language french.I could add support for the french version, but I will need your help, see here.

if you are running the english version, try renaming LGVID.AX to _LGVID.AX, that will disable movies, and hopefully get you ingame. also, make sure that you are running the game as admin, and that the game is not installed in program files.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbop View Post
    Just currious if yo uhave a dual core processor. If so you can set the affinity to only one core. Also you may need to run it in compatable verision of xp and as administrator.
    Eh, good question. I bough this laptop because it was lightweight and very efficient with writing software. It says core i3 on it, does that mean anything? I'm a noob when it comes to hardware, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    you have the French version, I assume?
    Actually, no. I actually use an English version ("sold out software" edition). But I could try to get the French and German versions too, if you want.

if you are running the english version, try renaming LGVID.AX to _LGVID.AX, that will disable movies, and hopefully get you ingame. also, make sure that you are running the game as admin, and that the game is not installed in program files.
    I renamed the .ax file, but the result is always the same, unfortunately. As soon as I click "start training" or "skip training", the game crashes. Also, I am indeed running the game as admin, and it is in my otherwise empty d:/ drive.

I used to get it working fin on vista, by following this tutorial. It appears, however, that this is no longer valid for windows 7...

Zombified
    hmm, strange, I see no reason why the game shouldn't work. try using the hdradeon_winxp fix (included with TFix in the archive). make sure to go through the readme.

hmm, strange, I see no reason why the game shouldn't work. try using the hdradeon_winxp fix (included with TFix in the archive). make sure to go through the readme.
    I just tried this too. Nothing changed, the game still crashes at the exact same moment. I have the impression the hdradeon_winxp did nothing, because when I opened the DarkWidescreen file, nothing happened.

Also, I repeat I'm using windows 7 and not xp (I never had any problems when I had xp, or even vista for that matter).

Finally, I just uninstalled everything and started over, but the result is still the same. Here are the details regarding the error:

Signature du problème*:
    Nom d’événement de problème: APPCRASH
    Nom de l’application: THIEF.EXE
    Version de l’application: 1.9.0.0
    Horodatage de l’application: 36bf3af5
    Nom du module par défaut: THIEF.EXE
    Version du module par défaut: 1.9.0.0
    Horodateur du module par défaut: 36bf3af5
    Code de l’exception: c0000005
    Décalage de l’exception: 001203aa
    Version du système: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
    Information supplémentaire n°*1: e098
    Information supplémentaire n°*2: e098f84aa18614de977d6849d087f375
    Information supplémentaire n°*3: 9077
    Information supplémentaire n°*4: 907797666e53adbd0eaf1de45463d16e

Lire notre déclaration de confidentialité en ligne*:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x040c

Si la déclaration de confidentialité en ligne n’est pas disponible, lisez la version hors connexion*:
    C:\Windows\system32\fr-FR\erofflps.txt
    Last edited by all; 30th Jul 2012 at 05:57.

Zombified
    when I opened the DarkWidescreen file, nothing happened.
    well this certainly does not sound right.

I would try this:
    -wipe everything clean again
    -install thief
    -install TFix
    -install the hdradeon_winxp fix (this is an older version of ddfix that sometimes works better)

make sure to run everything (DarkWidescreen.bat as well) as admin.

what kind of graphics card do you have, btw?

-install the hdradeon_winxp fix (this is an older version of ddfix that sometimes works better)
    I'm not sure i understand what you're telling me to do. I've already tried that, as I've indicated above... Am I misunderstanding/forgetting/neglecting anything?

make sure to run everything (DarkWidescreen.bat as well) as admin.
    Windows doesn't allow me to select the "run in admin" for the darkwidescreen file...

what kind of graphics card do you have, btw?
    Good question... there's a sticker with nvidia geforce GT520M on my laptop, does that help?
    Last edited by all; 30th Jul 2012 at 08:08.

plenty of us have got it working with Windows 7, so that shouldn't be the issue per se
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Quote Originally Posted by Komag View Post
    plenty of us have got it working with Windows 7, so that shouldn't be the issue per se
    I have no trouble believing this. However, I still does not work for me. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

You've started all over again from scratch?

This utility should help with the 'run as Admin' problem.

Edit. I've used it myself and it's simple to download and install.

Also, where are you installing to? It shouldn't be in Program Files. Also see this.

Edit again. See program files no-no has already been mentioned.
    Last edited by nickie; 30th Jul 2012 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    You've started all over again from scratch?
    yes, twice thrice now...

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    This utility should help with the 'run as Admin' problem.

Edit. I've used it myself and it's simple to download and install.
    Thanks, I've downloaded this and attempted to open DarkWidescreen with it. However, nothing happens, still... or almost: for a split second, a window pops up, but it disappears before I have the opportunity to read its contents. So far I was able to glimpse the word "introuvable", which in English means "not found".

Still no luck. I've already checked the FAQ, but I'm assuming I missed something.

edit:

I've also tried applying the ddfix for T1. But this still doesn't change the outcome. Hence, so far:

4. I've installed the ddfix for Thief1

Am I doing too much? I remember it being much simpler to get thief running on vista...
    Last edited by all; 30th Jul 2012 at 12:44. Reason: I want Thief! :(

Eh, good question. I bough this laptop because it was lightweight and very efficient with writing software. It says core i3 on it, does that mean anything? I'm a noob when it comes to hardware, I know...
    ok when you run the game go to the task manager click on the processses then click on the Thief.exe file click set affinity if you have more then one core on your laptop it will show more than one checked uncheck all but one of them.

Also you may need to set the game to run in windows xp to do this click on the icon for thief goto properties click on combatablity mode click on windows xp I think service pack 3 also click disable visual themes. Lastly click apply. once you do this you should be able to play the game.

This is how I got it to work. Sorry if it doesn't work for you but this is the best way I can explain how to do it.

ok when you run the game go to the task manager click on the processses then click on the Thief.exe file click set affinity if you have more then one core on your laptop it will show more than one checked uncheck all but one of them.
    The weird thing about this new computer is that does not let me set the affinity... when I click on Thief.exe in the task manager (it actually shows as "thief.exe* 32", and then select "set affinity", a window pops up saying "accès refusé" or "access refused" in English. This is very surprising to me. However, in my opinion, this has very little to do with core affinity, since I can't even launch the game properly (as far as I know, dual core problems arise after a few seconds ingame, and not during the pre-game menus).

Also you may need to set the game to run in windows xp to do this click on the icon for thief goto properties click on combatablity mode click on windows xp I think service pack 3 also click disable visual themes. Lastly click apply. once you do this you should be able to play the game.
    Yes, I've done that already. I've tried everything from Windows 98 to XP to Vista, and nothing works...

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this?

To sum up the problem, as soon as I click on "skip training" or "start training", the game crashes...

The weird thing about this new computer is that does not let me set the affinity... when I click on Thief.exe in the task manager (it actually shows as "thief.exe* 32", and then select "set affinity", a window pops up saying "accès refusé" or "access refused" in English. This is very surprising to me. However, in my opinion, this has very little to do with core affinity, since I can't even launch the game properly (as far as I know, dual core problems arise after a few seconds ingame, and not during the pre-game menus).
    I think your problem is that you are not the administartor or logged in as administrator. I'm actually glad you found wher eit was. I would say either log on as admin or go to the place you got your laptop and as them how to go by doing that. Or if you know who the admin is ask them to log on. Though I never seen access refused before I think this would fix it. Actually I had the same problems you did. When I hit training it would crash when i would skip training it would crash. The dual core is a problem. but not the menu's you should be able to at least go to that.

Also did you set the properties run as administrator this may allow you to set the affinty as well.
    Just trying to think of things to help you out. I did have the same problems you did.

I think your problem is that you are not the administartor or logged in as administrator. I'm actually glad you found wher eit was. I would say either log on as admin or go to the place you got your laptop and as them how to go by doing that. Or if you know who the admin is ask them to log on. Though I never seen access refused before I think this would fix it. Actually I had the same problems you did. When I hit training it would crash when i would skip training it would crash. The dual core is a problem. but not the menu's you should be able to at least go to that.

Also did you set the properties run as administrator this may allow you to set the affinty as well.
    Just trying to think of things to help you out. I did have the same problems you did.
    I've already set thief and its files to run as administrator... Furthermore, I'm the only user of this computer, and I bought it new, so I assume I'm logged in as the administrator. Or am I wrong regarding this?

I've already set thief and its files to run as administrator... Furthermore, I'm the only user of this computer, and I bought it new, so I assume I'm logged in as the administrator. Or am I wrong regarding this?
    Sometimes you need to check to see if you are logged in as the administrator. Sometimes it will just log you on as yourself instead of the administrator. Without personally being there I don't know how to do it without being ther emyself. I'm doing the best I can to help you. I know how to make it work on my pc. I'll see if I can dig more on this for you about setting the affinity for you. Doing the best that I can. I honestly feel that if you can get this to one core it will work for you. I'm not 100% sure but I'm doing the best I can. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

EDIT: Here's what I found apparently you need to accept a UAC terms to be able to set the affinity. I think... I'm not 100% sure here's the information I found for you.

'Show processes from all users' Accept the UAC prompt.
    This will run Task Manager with your administrator privileges. You should now be able to set affinity.
    Last edited by Fizbop; 30th Jul 2012 at 17:34. Reason: Additional Information.

4. I've installed the ddfix for Thief1

Am I doing too much? I remember it being much simpler to get thief running on vista...
    It's hard to say! I recently installed a TG on my Win 7 laptop and did nothing except set affinity.

In answer to your question about when it crashes with a dual core problem, it has always been on clicking 'skip training' or 'continue' for me. If you're denied access, you could try FlipTiB.

Zombified
    I would try a clean install + official patch, rename LGVID.AX, set the affinity (with FlipTiB for example) and see whether you get ingame or not. playing without any enhancements is still better than not playing at all.

I would try a clean install + official patch, rename LGVID.AX, set the affinity (with FlipTiB for example) and see whether you get ingame or not. playing without any enhancements is still better than not playing at all.
    I finally managed to set affinity to a single core!! However, I still crash when I click on "start training" or "skip training".
    I even tried to rename lgvid.ax...

Zombified
    check what kind of graphics card do you have and whether there is a newer driver available. also, try posting the contents of your install.cfg and cam.cfg.

check what kind of graphics card do you have and whether there is a newer driver available. also, try posting the contents of your install.cfg and cam.cfg.
    I think my graphics card is an nvidia geforce GT520M... I think... if that makes any sense...

As for the cam.cfg and install.cfg...

Quote Originally Posted by cam.cfg
    ; $Header: r:/prj/cam/src/RCS/cam.cfg 1.14 1998/09/23 20:00:41 mahk Exp $

; hey, which game is this
    game dark

; general configs
    include_user_cfg user.cfg
    editor_include_dromed_cfg dromed.cfg

; game specific paths/configs
    dark_include_install_cfg install.cfg

shock_resname_base r:\prj\shock\art\finals

; set trait cache to include concretes
    trait_cache_flags 2
    character_detail 1
    skip_intro
    sfx_device 1
    game_screen_depth 16
    gamma 0.6750000715
    game_hardware 1
    game_screen_size 1024 768
    sfx_channels 8
    game_screen_flags 13
    game_full_screen 1
    master_volume -1

skip_starting_checks
    Quote Originally Posted by install.cfg
    ;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\mods+.\mods\EP\Thief1+.\mods\EP+.\patches+.\res
    load_path .\+.\thief
    script_module_path .\+.\thief
    movie_path .\movies+.\thief\movies

I finally managed to set affinity to a single core!! However, I still crash when I click on "start training" or "skip training".
    I even tried to rename lgvid.ax...
    Well at least you go that much. I don't know why it's not working. Are you setting the affinity at the main menu screen? That's all I can think of honestly. These are all my settings. 1. Run This program in compatibility mode for Windows Xp Service pack 3 disable visual themes run this program as an administrator.

Set Affinity at main menu screen to 1 core. Honestly this worked for me and all I did was the only official patch that came out for it, and mine works just fine.

I'm sure someone else could figure out why it's not working for you.

Zombified
    those cfgs are from a TFix install. seems like you have ended up with a botched/mixed install somehow. let's try it from the beginning: uninstall thief, delete the folder to get rid of all potential leftover files, install thief, set it to run on a single core, rename LGVID.AX and try running it. after that, post the contents of cam.cfg and install.cfg.

and, if you can, try updating your graphics card driver. and check whether miss1.mis and miss2.mis are in your thief folder.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 1st Aug 2012 at 03:04.

Hey there .o/

Hmm as much as possible I'd advise to avoid using relative paths : they can lead, for example, to the game crashing if you run it from a shortcut which would not specify the working directory.
    So I'd advise to search and replace those dots with the actual path where the game is installed, starting from the drive letter.

Thanks, I've downloaded this and attempted to open DarkWidescreen with it. However, nothing happens, still... or almost: for a split second, a window pops up, but it disappears before I have the opportunity to read its contents. So far I was able to glimpse the word "introuvable", which in English means "not found".
    Guess it could be useful to get the complete error message ; try this :
    1 - run cmd.exe
    2 - navigate to the folder where the game is installed using a command such as :
    cd /d "c:\program files (x86)\thief"
    (of course, replace "c:\program files (x86)\thief" with whatever the real path is ; don't forget the " if it contains blank spaces)
    3 - run "Darkwidescreen.bat" (type "darkwidescreen" and press Enter)

Then the window shouldn't close itself and you would be able to note the message.