TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Is it possible to export DromEd BSP into a model ?

Is it possible to export DromEd BSP into a model ?

subj.
    is it possible ?

No.

No.

But, out of curiosity, why would you want to? What do you want to do? Maybe there is an easier way.

i see
    but if remember correct some of T1 or T2 OMs were converted in T3 format or something like that... ah,nevermind

But, out of curiosity, why would you want to? What do you want to do? Maybe there is an easier way.
    to be fair i wanted to convert some abandoned T1 fm into a model,retexture it and import it in TDM

ZylonBane
    Of course it's possible. There just aren't any extant tools to do it.

I expect that is someone were really bug*#@% insane dedicated they could do something with the CoW scripts. I'm not going to attempt it though

You ask and you get :)

Yes, it is possible. I've been actually working on a script for 3dsMax for importing .MIS files. I got it working to some extent (thanks Volca!). It can import geometry, materials and lights - just couldn't get the UV coordinates correctly. At some stage I'm planning to get back on it and once the tool is completed, I am going to make it public.
    Here are some example Max viewport screengrabs:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reengrab03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reengrab02.jpg

If you need geometry only, let me know by PM and I can send you a current version of the script.

great job PinkDot !
    It can import geometry, materials and lights - just couldn't get the UV coordinates correctly.
    awesome ! UV coordinates is not a problem,because textures are not perfectly aligned anyway

ok,thre is nowhere to rush so i wait till you make your script public

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    Yes, it is possible. I've been actually working on a script for 3dsMax for importing .MIS files. ...
    So you would need to buy 3DSMax to use this? This is not a standalone solution to generate a 3ds file, correct? (Honestly I can't imagine how large a whole mission map would be as a 3ds file!)

Yes, this is a MaxScript, so it will work with 3dsmax only. But you can download a trial version of 3dsmax - no need to spend something like 4K just to export Thief mission file to another format!
    Or you could ask a 3dsmax owner to export it for you, if you need it.

Standalone solution would be defo a good option, but I am not a programmer really, so this is beyond my skills now. But another reason I did that in 3dsmax was to be able to use level geometry for animated mission intros or enhancing lightmaps.... But, that's still a long way from now anyway.

(Honestly I can't imagine how large a whole mission map would be as a 3ds file!)
    It will be a rather big file. I never exported to .3ds format yet (just working with .max), but that monastery map is something like 23 Mb (this is a medium/large map). But that's BSP only - excluding objects...

Nice work PinkDot!

Is there any documentation on the internal structure of DromEd's output?

I was just wishing for such a thing only a few days ago! I need this so bad! Would the script work in the old version of 3DS Max (5) I think it is?

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Nice work PinkDot!

Is there any documentation on the internal structure of DromEd's output?
    Thanks!
    All the documentation comes from Volca's OPDE code. Without it I wouldn't be able to do it.
    I also used some of Telliamed's documentation, available on his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs
    Would the script work in the old version of 3DS Max (5) I think it is?
    Not sure. I work with 3ds Max 2012 and MaxScript tends to change a bit in each release. Version 5.0 is a pretty old one...