TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Any gif to tga tutorials ?

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Any gif to tga tutorials ?

Hi,

I am in need of a good tga tutorial, as I have some paintings I need in tga format. I added the dromed patch which is supposed to force dromed to take .tga 's and it works for some objects like light shafts, but not ai's like the cosas nobles. I understand the .tga's need alpha channels, and I would like to learn how to make them.

I searched for .tga in the search engine but nothing comes up. Only "no results"

What program are you using to make the pictures in?
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130939
    You might be having AntiMatter_16's problem.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    I am in need of a good tga tutorial, as I have some paintings I need in tga format.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Targas." Now they have two problems.

If your bitmap doesn't require transparency, it's exceedingly unlikely that you need it to be in Targa format.

Unless you want to learn more about tga files than I think you do, get TGATool2. Lots of places to download it. It will convert your PSP output file into a one that DromEd won't choke on. I always pass my tga files through it. Note: you won't see the image in DromEd's edit mode, but when you go into game mode it will be fine.

@ZB: if you are running out of palettes (for example you have lots of art that you want to be as true to the original as possible), tga is a good format for that situation since it doesn't use any.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Unless you want to learn more about tga files than I think you do, get TGATool2. Lots of places to download it. It will convert your PSP output file into a one that DromEd won't choke on. I always pass my tga files through it. Note: you won't see the image in DromEd's edit mode, but when you go into game mode it will be fine.

@ZB: if you are running out of palettes (for example you have lots of art that you want to be as true to the original as possible), tga is a good format for that situation since it doesn't use any.
    Thanks for all the info ;ChaozFlame,ZB, and Larry G, Thanks for the TGATool2 and info, as I do use only Psp version 8. I learned some about gif skins yesterday, so today it is Tga's.

Right on Larry, I took a quick youtube course on transparency, and made a tga that looks great in t2.

Thanks a heap !
    Last edited by darthsLair; 1st Aug 2012 at 21:53.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Targas are massive, and only offer 16-bit color resolution, vs the 24-bit color resolution of GIF/PCX. You should never run short on palettes if you're not being completely wasteful with them. Grouping together similarly-colored textures isn't that hard.