TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Wireless router kaputt

Wireless router kaputt

Looks like my wireless router's finally given up the ghost.

It's given me quite a few problems in the past already; it would quite often drop the connection to the internet*, and over time the wireless broadcast seemed to get worse and worse up until the point where my desktop PC (located in an adjacent room to the router) couldn't detect the signal any more. My laptop, mobile phone, Kindle, etc. were still able to pick up the signal when in the same room as the router, though, so I know the network hadn't dropped completely.

Thankfully, at that point, Ostriig lent me a long enough network cable so that I could at least still use the router as a wired device. But even that connection got worse and worse over time, and now the router won't connect to the internet at all any more - all I get is that grating sound of it trying to connect (you know, the sound of those old dial-up modems), but it never actually manages to.

*Thing is, I've also had quite a few problems in the past with the outside line, namely water damage that probably caused frequent shorts and as a result a dropped connection, so I initially blamed all connection problems on that. But that was fixed ages ago, so I genuinely believe it's the router now. Obviously, I'd like to double-check somehow, but I haven't got a spare router to do so.

Which leads me somewhat to my main question; I should just be able to buy a new wireless router to replace the one I've currently got, right? I know close to nothing about networking, though, so what features should I look out for when I buy a new one? Thank you.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    How long have you had the modem?

Far too long. It came with the Internet package from my ISP, so I guess that means 5 - 6 years.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Surprised it lasted that long to begin with.

Guess I've been lucky until now.

At any rate, is there anything particular I need to pay attention to when buying a new one or will any wireless router do? Cheers.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    all I get is that grating sound of it trying to connect (you know, the sound of those old dial-up modems), but it never actually manages to.
    That's strange - modern routers should be silent although some do have relays that click on startup but it should be no more than that.

Anyway, assuming you have an ADSL internet connection you'll obviously need an ADSL router not a cable router. You'll also need to make sure you have the username / password for your account - sometimes it's locked in the router (I've known sky do this).

As far as other features it doesn't sound like you need to go overboard on features / high speed wireless particularly if you're not streaming media between your devices and your computer(s) are reasonably close to the router.

Something like this or this, right? I haven't used ADSL in quite sometime, horrible experience before I moved to cable.
    Last edited by Ladron De La Noche; 3rd Aug 2012 at 03:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    That's strange - modern routers should be silent although some do have relays that click on startup but it should be no more than that.
    Well, it was silent until it went all apeshit on me, so I guess that's just more proof that it's utterly broken.

Thanks for the links Ladron, I'll check them out later in more detail.

N'Al, my router is doing the same shit yours is. The wifi degrades as well as the Ethernet. Restarting it fixes it somewhat, but man do I need a new one.

My router isn't tied to my ISP, it is my own (and I have a cable line, not ADSL) so I have complete freedom in what I want to replace it with. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Well, it was silent until it went all apeshit on me, so I guess that's just more proof that it's utterly broken.
    If I were to hazard a guess it could be an internal power supply that's struggling and the switching inductors are making that sound. However, that's a pure guess and in any case it does sound like it's time to get a new one.