TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief Gold crashes

Thief Gold crashes

I had to force install Thief Gold. No surprise there, but when I tried to play it, the game crashed on me. A dialog box appeared saying, "Thief Gold encountered a problem....." I went to the help section here and was told that this problem is associated with Vista. Only I'm using XP!

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!

Hey there .o/

Most likely you have a multicore processor ?
    You should try this : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

incidentally, I tried installing the unofficial update for Thief Gold, Darkloader, DDfix, and OrGy's texture patch, but when I go to play, the graphics are bad, I get mixed "colors", and the same end result: crashes.

Homebuilt tower pc dual core processor
    HDMI monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    Hey there .o/

Most likely you have a multicore processor ?
    You should try this : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
    Hi, Constance!

I tried that, but to no avail.

So after all that, I uninstalled Thief Gold, and am starting from square 1. I can't even get past the opening screen (the one where EIDOS appears in big blue letters) before I get the dialog box "Thief Gold encountered a problem blahblahblah....."

Tried the unofficial patch again, and once I get to the game, crash! The screen goes pink and I have to force quit and reboot my whole computer!

When the intro vid plays, I notice there are two very large black bars on the left and right of my screen. This lasts right up until the game crashes.

Zombified
    post your full hardware specs. any chance you are running hd radeon under winxp? where exactly are you crashing - right before you would get into the game, after clicking the "play mission" button? and the videos play, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by jbairdjr43 View Post
    When the intro vid plays, I notice there are two very large black bars on the left and right of my screen. This lasts right up until the game crashes.
    That part at least is totally normal if you have a wide screen, because the videos are 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    post your full hardware specs. any chance you are running hd radeon under winxp? where exactly are you crashing - right before you would get into the game, after clicking the "play mission" button? and the videos play, you say?
    WinXP SP3
    Intel Core Duo Processor
    4 gigs of RAM
    Onboard video with HDMI interface, and onboard sound.
    Sunmicro mobo

I'm not running any extra pci or pci-e cards, so there shouldn't be a chance of my tower running an hd radeon video.

Before all the updates, I was crashing right after I double-clicked on the Thief:Gold icon. After the updates, I crash a few seconds after the game starts. Same thing every time: bad graphics, ghosting, screen turns colors (it was almost psychedelic, actually) , and everything freezes.

Zombified
    ah yes, the joys of intel integrated graphics cards. try using the hdradeon fix that is included with TFix (see the readme). try updating you graphics card driver as well.

ah yes, the joys of intel integrated graphics cards. try using the hdradeon fix that is included with TFix (see the readme). try updating you graphics card driver as well.
    Thanks, Voodoo! I'm at work now and I'll try this step when I get home.

quick question

Should I remove everything and do a fresh install of Thief Gold? Or should I leave everything as it is and try the hdradeon fix?

create a new txt file in the thiefg main directory called processor.txt
    then copy/past the following:

imagecfg -u thief.exe
    imagecfg -a 0x1 thief.exe
    pause

now rename the file to processor.bat and run the file, you'll be jake

btw, this works in T2 as well

Zombified
    Should I remove everything and do a fresh install of Thief Gold? Or should I leave everything as it is and try the hdradeon fix?
    if you have a clean install with just TFix applied, you can use the hdradeon fix right away.

if you have a clean install with just TFix applied, you can use the hdradeon fix right away.
    I'll try yours and ValmontPhl's suggestions right now.

back to square 1

Okay, so I removed Thief Gold and reinstalled it. I click on the executable, and the dialog box pops up saying, "Thief Gold has encountered a problem....." I go to the help section here and I see where this kinda problem is associated with Vista. I'm using XP, but I tread on.

Compatability mode didn't work as I get the same crash at (roughly) the same point. So I look for a patch (The Thief Gold version I use is 1.09). I found here, Thief 1.33. I download it, extract the file to c:\Thief Gold, and I when I click on Thief 1.33 it says "Thief 1.33 can't find the installation directory, make sure you have installed the game correctly and try again." There is a file in my programs folder called Thief Gold (found in the START menu), but that's not where I installed Thief Gold.

So I'm back here looking for solutions. I wish I had more time to try Vodoo's and ValmontPhl's solutions, but I have to go to work. Aargggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

How am I supposed to install the 1.33 patch? What did I do wrong?

Zombified
    thief gold does not need to be patched with the official patch, it's already up to date. if you want to try running thief with just the multicore fix, use FlipTIB: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127533.

so basically, you should try this: make a clean install of thief (yaay), use FlipTIB, see whether the game runs (this will get you no mods or widescreen, but hey, running without mods is still better than not running at all). if that won't get you anywhere, apply TFix, and hdradeon fix as well.

a reminder - make sure you are using the latest intel graphics driver. old intel drivers can cause a lot of pain, as they are, well, just horrible. the latest ones should be less horrible. use some utility like gpu-z if you are not sure what kind of gpu do you have (should help you to download the correct driver).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 7th Aug 2012 at 10:21.

Okay. Fresh install of Thief Gold. Done.

The game crashed as expected. Installed FlipTIB.

Got me a little further, but the game still crashed. Installed TFix.

That got me into the game, but the graphics were "razor-bladeish". Depending on how I moved the mouse, determined if i was going to see certain parts of a particular scene. For example, if I moved the mouse a certain way a wall torch would appear (where it should be). move it again, it would flicker or be cut in half or both.

Applied hdradeon fix.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

For now. lol

Thank you Voodoo47, ValmontPhl, and Constance!

Zombified
    we all do what we are meant to do.

I'm going to break into Cragscleft now. Initially, this is the point where I started noticing the problems. I'll report back, but thus far this is what I've noticed:

While the intro clip and cutscenes are playing well, I still have to deal with the black borders on both sides of the screen. Same for when I'm loading a game, buying items, selecting difficulty level, etc. I've also noticed that every now and then a "razor-ish" effect shows up, but only for a split second, if that. I do NOT have to deal with the borders while I'm plying the game, though.

The other thing I've noticed (and this is what I find most pleasing) the graphics are sharper! Better, I mean! For example, the gold bottles of wine, the loot, they all appear better defined. Instead of a solid gold plate or bowl, you can see intricate designs in them instead of just plain gold. Cool, huh?

Again, the black borders are a totally normal thing if you have a wide screen monitor : the videos and game menus are of 4:3 aspect ratio, while in game it probably isn't if you got the resolution set to match with your monitor using TFix / DDfix / Darkwidescreen etc.

The items being more detailed is probably due to one of the various models/textures enhancement packs included in TFix.

Zombified
    I've also noticed that every now and then a "razor-ish" effect shows up, but only for a split second, if that.
    almost sure this is a intel driver issue. as I said, updating the driver might fix it. or make it worse. with intel('s drivers), one never knows.

Back to square 1

Sure enough, as soon as I finish Cragscleft, or rather, as soon as the intro clip to The Bonehoard plays, Thief Gold Crashes.

What's a taffer to do?

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Follow up

It seems it's crashing ONLY at the intro movie to The Bonehoard. If I click my mouse to prevent that movie from playing, I can still play the level. None of the other movies (thus far) have crashed.

Is there something particularly different about the intro clip to The Bonehoard?
    Last edited by jbairdjr43; 9th Aug 2012 at 01:19. Reason: grammar

Zombified
    as far as I know, no. but the video file might be corrupted for one reason or another - try playing B04.AVI (in the "movies" folder) with your video player.