TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Using doublebutton script how ?

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Using doublebutton script how ?

Okay I am not bass akwards today, so here is a simple clean question based on fact Larry

I originally made a button book tutorial so I know it works with a button book, but what I did was: Use only 1 button to open and close 2 secret doors repeatedly. Why the player would want to close them after finishing, and then reopen them again and again is beyond me, but
    so be it.

1. I have 2 secret doors, one for hiding the other.
    2. I did successfully use only 1 button( Illusion) to open and close both secret doors.

3.This is what I used to do it, but because 5 extra objects are needed to do this, I thought someone would know a better way.

A. 1 extra button with trap flags: Invert.
    B. 2 teleport traps for the blue room.
    C. 2 teleport traps for the button illusion.

The other 2, a timer relay, and an inverter I used stationary decorative items so I didn't include these in the total number of objects needed. Only the ones I had to create to get the setup to function properly. The inverter is to reverse the turnoff, so that the original button will be teleported in, and the swap button will teleport itself back to the blue room.

My setup works perfectly, so the timer is reused,because one door has to allow time for the other to open and close.

My question is: Can this be done with using the script DoubleButton ? I find that it conflicts with StdButton even if dont inherit is checked True.

Calm down and explain exactly what you want to happen. What you have outlined seems ridiculously complicated.

You have two doors and one button and you want what to happen? 1st press opens 1 door and 2nd opens 2nd door? Does the 1st door close? Describe functionally what you want the player to experience. Not how you want to do it, but what the player experiences.

A floor object conceals a door hidden beneath it. Door 1 moves to reveal Door 2. The first round of button push 1 sets a timer so the 2 doors dont collide when the 2 door opens. The Second round of button push reverses the closing of the 2 doors so they dont collide.

I'd say a one-way button has no way to remember its state, because there is no state to remember, so StdLever/DoubleButton on a one-way button will always send a TurnOff, because the button is believed to always be in its off state.

The scripts ToggleDoor and NVFrobToggle might be useful.

Edit:
    The script TrigDoorOpen could perhaps also be useful.
    Last edited by qolelis; 10th Aug 2012 at 00:13.

Actually a conversation would use less objects. Thanks everyone for your opinions. There is an old saying. If it aint broken...dont fiix iit !

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    A floor object conceals a door hidden beneath it. Door 1 moves to reveal Door 2. The first round of button push 1 sets a timer so the 2 doors dont collide when the 2 door opens. The Second round of button push reverses the closing of the 2 doors so they dont collide.
    Oh.That's easy. Just use a TrapFlipFlop script to convert the TurnOn's from the button to TurnOn - TurnOff's. And you can use the "Open" message on Door 1 to open Door 2 and the "Closed" message on Door 2 to close Door 1 with a little NVRelayTrap magic on the respective doors. And you can disable future button pushes by making the button frobinert until it gets the "Open" message on Door 2 or the "Closed" message on Door1, to prevent pushing the button twice before a full cycle is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Oh.That's easy. Just use a TrapFlipFlop script to convert the TurnOn's from the button to TurnOn - TurnOff's. And you can use the "Open" message on Door 1 to open Door 2 and the "Closed" message on Door 2 to close Door 1 with a little NVRelayTrap magic on the respective doors. And you can disable future button pushes by making the button frobinert until it gets the "Open" message on Door 2 or the "Closed" message on Door1, to prevent pushing the button twice before a full cycle is completed.
    Theres the answer I was looking for Larry. Zero extra objects needed. The Nv traps can be made from existing decorative objects. Thanks a heap !