TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Oh SMBC...

verbose douchebag

Oh SMBC...

...You bloody complete me.

Seriously, some of the ideas this guy has are solid gold.

Classical Master 2008
    And he even named the character Felix. Heh.

... why does one elated person and a billion miserable ones amount to more total happiness than a billion and one reasonably content people?

What is SMBC?

it's linked in the first post

Administrator
    I think it started off well, but the one man happiness concept doesn't make a great deal of sense. On the other hand I might be forgetting to just find it funny...

verbose douchebag
    Like all humour, it won't please everyone.

In this context for the humour to work it needs to be based on a more sensible criticism! And I'm sure genuine problems can be posed for utilitarian ethics.

Generally SMBC is pretty good, mind you.

I've seen a variation of this joke from the flip side. It was like one poor little girl that was made increasingly miserable so everybody else's happiness was added just a little. It was never entirely clear why... but implied something like a drug was made out of whatever her spleen excreted or something like that, and I believe it kept getting worse and worse for her until she ended up just living in a locked box with a small hole for air and food to be dropped in and tubes coming out to the happy dispensaries. (Wasn't so much of a "joke" as just really black or surreal humor, as everybody at some point had to look at the girl in the box as a major source of all their happiness. And are we really ok with this? You could imagine the utilitarian computer saying hells yeah! =V )

Edit: That variation on it hits home because it makes you think about like sweatshop workers in poor countries making the Nike shoes people go crazy for here, while their own life may be pretty dismal. Somebody might get the idea overall world happiness really is better as a result of their sacrifice, they were going to be miserable anyway but oh man those shoooooeeess!!! -- putting aside for the joke's sake reasonable arguments that if they weren't in the factory they might be in an even worse situation out in the fields, but you still get the idea.
    Last edited by demagogue; 17th Aug 2012 at 06:17.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    The best SMBC strips are the ones Zach's wife comments on.

(hover over the red button at the bottom)

verbose douchebag
    I'm trying to figure out if attacking the plausibility of the comic I posted is a credit to SMBC's usual level of logical calibre or just people needing to not take it quite so seriously.

I'm seriously on the fence.

It was worth it because it makes a mockery out of all the verbose douchery going on in the "moral" thread, more than a little of it mine, which is what every serious topic deserves some of to keep things grounded. It just could have made more of a mockery if it had put some barbs in it. That's why I thought the variation I saw hit harder. But fuck it. It's just a comic. I laughed.

verbose douchebag
    Sticking in a pin in serious issues, danger and grief is kind of the main benefit of comedy. It is pretty much why some of the most satisfying laughs come from some really quite dark subject matter.

[EDIT] If ever there was a comic which needed the last panel (or even two panels) removed, this is it.
    Last edited by faetal; 17th Aug 2012 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if attacking the plausibility of the comic I posted is a credit to SMBC's usual level of logical calibre or just people needing to not take it quite so seriously.

I'm seriously on the fence.
    It's trying to make an argument, and does so poorly. I think it's fair enough to point that out, and more useful a reaction than to shrug it off with lol just a joke.

and yeah Weiner is usually both insightful and amusing, so I guess I hold him to a higher standard!
    Last edited by Chimpy Chompy; 17th Aug 2012 at 09:07.

verbose douchebag
    I don't know - I felt like it purposefully exaggerated and shat out its own logic on a curve. The impression I get from SMBC is that it is largely born of day-dreams, which are perfectly ordinary in starting logically and then becoming ridiculous. Treating it like some kind of equation seems a little unnecessary, but again, eye of the beholder and that (I'm not looking for likes btw, just sharing as I found it funny - why all the analysis?).

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why you linked directly to the image, thus stripping all site navigation, instead of the actual page that it's archived on.

The strip, by the way, is doubtless intended as an illustration of a utility monster.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why you linked directly to the image, thus stripping all site navigation, instead of the actual page that it's archived on.
    That's a side effect of my normally posting links this on facebook - I know the same question applies, but generally speaking, linking to an image is cleaner if you are highlighting something specific.

You are right though.