- SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc - as far as I can tell, only "All the World's a Stage" needs this rebuilt, and apparently it's not done automatically by the current loaders? Then the rule would probably be "if Thief3SoundAddOn.exe is in the FM Extras folder". Is there any other way to tell if the sounds must be added to the .csc, e.g. from the schema files?
Having this step done by the loader is much preferable to including the rather large .csc file with the FM?
- Generally it's not necessary to extract .ogg audio to .wav, neither mp3, because they are not used - right? But there's some talk in the old threads about some FMs having problems, so GL extracts ogg anyway. Anybody know any FMs which need this?
- Apart from that one FM which has a corrupted .cbt file, has there been any problems with it, or has it gone out of fashion because the size of large missions is dominated by custom textures and movie files? It seems like a fast and easy way to get the file size down, at least for some FMs - "Thief's Rising" shrinks from 326 MB to 91 - or 57 with a little improvement of the scheme.
- "Avoid spaces in the install path, because some FMs have problems." Anybody know any examples?
- Apart from the quirk mentioned above, is there anything else locale related that needs to be done by the loader, e.g. to support Russian?
Edit: At this point the answers to the above seem to be:
- No, you can't tell from the contents of the Sounds folder if SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc needs to be rebuilt
- Presumably it's a misunderstanding, and .ogg files do not need conversion
- The use of CBTs is still a sound concept, but it will depend on the content of the FM whether it's worth doing
- It's probably a myth, or a conflation with other problems, that spaces in the install path are trouble
- No - except that if the options.ini file needs to be copied for the FM, the locale must be accounted for, because the name of the containing folder is localized.