TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Skyrim: Hearthfire DLC

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Skyrim: Hearthfire DLC

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...hfire-trailer/

Not one for me. Also since when has Molyneux worked for BGS?

On the bright side if it's far more polished and bug free than similar mods, I could see it being a "minor hit". Also in a lot of cases:- mods which improve/build upon existing features in a game > mods made from scratch.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    So, "This Old Hovel" basically?

Moderator and Priest
    Yee olde Björnshäck more like.

And hell, it does look sorta fun.

I plan on getting it. Sounds interesting.

Administrator
    Did anyone get it? I noticed Dawnguard had made it to the PC as well...

For 3 quid it looked like you'd get that much interest out of it.

Also this forum is barely breathing so someone ought to say something about it.

If I recall correctly there's a mod out there which does quite a bit of what this DLC does. Came out some weeks before it, I think.

As for Dawnguard in the other thread, I played it, I'll try to post some impressions this weekend if I get the time. As a spolier, I liked it quite a bit.

Administrator
    Well it seemed so cheap I gave it a try, plus I haven't touched Skyrim for a few months. To be honest there isn't that much to "spoil", but it seems like one of the things that might have been in the game in the first place. There isn't a huge amount you can customise with the building itself, but you eventually build just about anything into it. I was able to build a forge in the cellar, but this seems a bit odd given there's no flue to get rid of the smoke. I also had a chicken but I think something came and ate it...

Confirmed for real life farming sim.

I enjoy Hearthfire, but to be honest one of the many player-created houses would be a better bet. The thing that really bugs me about Hearthfire is that the lighting effects for the interior of your home are horrible. You get like 2 or 3 basic light sources and non that cast shadows, so it's mostly just the basic ambient light level. Skyrim has a beautiful dynamic shadow engine and Hearthfire uses none of it Except for the forge in the cellar.

It is pretty neat building it though, rather than just POOF owning it. And the functionality of the different rooms is quite good, such as the greenhouse and the trophy room.

Administrator
    Yes, I'd agree that the lighting was pretty uninteresting. However I found out after learning some of the CK that the engine can't handle more than four shadow casters in view at one time - possibly the layout of the house causes issues there. I am referring to the Windstad Manor plot. I could probably whip up a little plugin to improve the lights.

Hopefully the other houses on the other plots aren't identical. Another thing they could have tried was alternative building materials, so you could build a stone house if you wanted.

Or rent out a house for money?

Buying an inn and earning money from that?

Random ideas, but I am sure someone must have tried those. A simple variation on your bored spouse earning money...

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Yes, I'd agree that the lighting was pretty uninteresting. However I found out after learning some of the CK that the engine can't handle more than four shadow casters in view at one time - possibly the layout of the house causes issues there. I am referring to the Windstad Manor plot. I could probably whip up a little plugin to improve the lights.

Hopefully the other houses on the other plots aren't identical. Another thing they could have tried was alternative building materials, so you could build a stone house if you wanted.

Or rent out a house for money?

Buying an inn and earning money from that?

Random ideas, but I am sure someone must have tried those. A simple variation on your bored spouse earning money...
    Yeah I know about the shadow casting lights limitation, but there isn't a single one in the main part of the house. Like I said the only one is the light coming from the forge in the cellar.

Anyway, I would be your bestest friend if you could make a plugin to enhance the lighting in the house

Administrator
    I just need to make that tweak so that the Hearthfire file doesn't crash the editor...

Administrator
    I have to say it's not easy to work with the plugin as all the optional parts are on top of each other, however I can see that the lighting really was minimally implemented. Also it's tricky to see what enables the lights as the object names in the archive were all scrambled so it isn't possible to check the scripts in the editor. I think it might be easier to build a new residence from scratch...