TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Level 10,000 achieved
    As far as I can remember no, there's no rapey stuff in the first 2 seasons at least.

Sexually it's pretty tame (well, to a European) - definitely much more so than in terms of violence. There are a couple of 'rapey' situations in the series, e.g. someone not taking no for an answer at first and getting *very* pushy (and that's later in the series IIRC), but no actual rape takes place.

verbose douchebag
    Not specific, but in case anyone doesn't want to know ANYTHING nothing rapey / sexual so far, but lots of gore and some quite emotionally hard-hitting upsetting points. A 15 y.o. who isn't gore-averse should be ok with it.

cheers for that, keep in mind I am talking about the game, not the tv series.

If your daughter sat through Ep. 2 without a flinch, she should be ok with the following ones. I would say that the premise of Ep.2 is the sickest one (in truth it isn't, because it's not very well done, I think it's the poorest ep) albeit not the most graphic. There's no sexual stuff, so she should be ok.

Speaking of which
    spoiler:
    I think the kidnapper was a bit of a cop-out. It's obviously it was only made to make the player reflect his decisions, but I found that it broke the immersion due to it's bluntness. I would have liked it much more, if the kidnapping-situation would have had multiple completely different endings dependent on your path throughout the game. I think they should have had one path, where Clementine dies, maybe by the hands of said kidnapper, but I see why they refrained from such.

Ah, gotcha. Your "we watched" made it easy to think you were talking about the TV series, not the games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    cheers for that, keep in mind I am talking about the game, not the tv series.
    What now? Are you watching a Let's Play on YouTube or something?

My answer was for the TV show, but it applies to the game as well I guess.

yeh i meant to say played rather than watched, but it feels so much like a tv series ya know. Well episode 2 had some pretty gross out moments (the legs) but thats half the fun of this kinda thing.

Still Subjective
    People seem to be swapping in and out of talking about the game and the TV series.

I assume you're talking about the TV series PigLick. Yes, in the next few episodes there is a little bit of domestic violence that's actually quite grim.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    He said he meant the games, SubJeff.

And no, there's absolutely nothing remotely rapey in any of the five episodes. The closest it gets is a rather tawdry (but consensual) "deal" that's referred to but not shown.

Though the kidnapper's more than a little menacing.

Still Subjective
    I was in the middle of typing out the reply to an earlier post.

a.) Played through this - all 5 episodes in one sitting! - just before Christmas. Absolutely excellent.
    b.) Telltale have sold 8.5m units so far, so looks like a Season 2 is definitely on the cards.

What would people want to see in season 2, in terms of themes, plots and characters? While I loved S1, I think it'll be difficult to continue the series in ways that won't feel repetitive - variations on the themes of "Zombies are bad, but human beings are the real monsters" and "If you have to lose your humanity in order to survive, is it worth it?" I cared about the characters in S1, but I don't necessarily need to know what happens next to Clem, mainly because it's the Clem-Lee relationship (and other relationships) I was invested in.

verbose douchebag
    The only thing they should change IMO, using the extra revenue, is the number of distinct outcomes and permutations of outcomes that are possible. TWD was fantastic, but the choices you give are semi-illusory, since many of the games outcomes are hard-wired to happen regardless of the decisions you make beforehand. I have hesitated thus far on a replay because I'm not convinced it will be different enough from the first play-through regardless of what I do, so the overall story is known to me. I'll replay when enough time has passed, but if they can make a sequel be significantly more chaotic in its outcomes, re-plays will multiply the experience many-fold.

I'm tempted to do a 'mute' walkthrough of Season 1, i.e. choosing the silence option as often as possible in conversations, just to see what impact that would have on the story.

As for Season 2, I share Thirith's concerns - I think it would be very difficult to replicate the impact of the starved kid zombie, for example - but I'm not sure what TT could do about that.

Maybe ninjas. Or aliens.

On the issue of choosing outcomes, I have to say that I liked TWD's approach. Yes, what happens doesn't change much - but how I feel about what happens does change. Take Larry, for instance: in the long run it doesn't matter whether I'm the one doing the deed or Kenny, but my future interactions with Lily and Kenny are different because I'm different (or my Lee is different). Even the same lines carry different subtext and baggage. All of this fits with the overall theme of The Walking Dead IMO: our fate may largely be out of our hands - this is the zombie apocalypse and in the long run we're all screwed - but we choose how we meet our fate.

Retain the good elements of the original and add more complexity to choices. So basically what was said above. I would like to have distinctly different choices to make, for example in regards of heading south/west (in the general sense), going to a big city/wilderness etc. Choices that would really affect what are you doing and where. I would not mind that certain choices would drive the game to an abrupt end, if the story still felt "full".

It's obvious gameplay in TWD is there to serve the story, so no puzzles for their own sake, but something besides quicktime events would be fun. For example the small shootout at the motel was okay. In the end though, I just want a good story that makes me feel that I have made the choices that got someone killed etc.

verbose douchebag
    The choosing of outcomes worked well, yes - I'd just like to see it expanded, which I am sure is possible with greater use of resources which the game ought to have given how much it has proved itself as a successful format.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    What would people want to see in season 2, in terms of themes, plots and characters? While I loved S1, I think it'll be difficult to continue the series in ways that won't feel repetitive - variations on the themes of "Zombies are bad, but human beings are the real monsters" and "If you have to lose your humanity in order to survive, is it worth it?" I cared about the characters in S1, but I don't necessarily need to know what happens next to Clem, mainly because it's the Clem-Lee relationship (and other relationships) I was invested in.
    Very true, there's only so monay "morally ambiguous scenario / save person A or person B / help or hamper person C" scenarios before they become transparent and repetitive. Heck even the whole farm bit in Ep2 was already in many ways lifted from the TV show.

Also agree about Clem - as much as Im curious what happens to her, I think it would be more interesting to follow a whole new cast rather than continue the main plotline. It felt very... complete, and the ambiguity and uncertaininity of the ending is not a cliffhanger, but a cherry on top. Elaborating further would take away from that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    The only thing they should change IMO, using the extra revenue, is the number of distinct outcomes and permutations of outcomes that are possible.
    Aye, I'd really like to see more branching. In TWD you get small local choices, but in the end it still follows a very linear story. Having longer-lasting and more diverse outcomes would be a bit more interesting, making you feel the impact of your choices a bit more.

I'm a bit burned out on the "trying to survive zombies, gauging trust in people, and morally gray dilemmas" facet of zombie apocalypse though. I'd honestly like to see something that goes beyond that, I don't know... like maybe, "2 years later" scenario when you have some small city-states fending for themselves (ala what Crawford was supposed to be, but much bigger, more organized, and not) or even like a whole alternate scenario (zombies in the medieval times?) Just... something I havent already seen/played in virtually every zombie game/comic/tvshow/movie/etc.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I'd love to see alternate zombie scenarios. Cyberpunk zombies! Space zombies! Medieval zombies!

At least Blackest Night had superhero zombies. There's also Marvel Zombies, and while Kirkman wrote that, I prefer DC's take.

Fuck zombies, I want Telltale to try something completely different. How about a legal drama? I reckon a 'big case' story with the trial spread over the episodes would be pretty interesting. Tension without death by QTE.

Chakat sex pillow
    In that interview of theirs, they mentioned wanting to do a Star Wars game because they're ex-LucasArts. How about that, eh? QTE lightsaber battles! Whoah!

Ech. I hope not. Anyway, TWD2 can't retread old ground for fear of being staid and/or boring, which would be a terrible thing to happen, like a zombie apocalypse of mindless accountants that beat you to death with wallets stuffed with change.

I agree that continuity should be abandoned, because 'season' 1's arc ended on a pitch-perfect note of ambiguity, and leading on from there would destroy it. It's better to not know what happened next, because there's no way TT can continue that story without it feeling like a let-down and, inevitably, a betrayal of what season 1 built up. One idea I've been playing with would be to revisit the Everett family at ground zero just before the outbreak and have their own personal family drama unfold... a prequel, if you like. It could be just as compelling as the first season if it's executed right. But that's just me. In any case, can't wait to see what they're going to do next!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Or it could be about Clementine's parents! About their ordeals surviving and escaping Savannah, and then at the end after they've gotten over the loss of their daughter who must surely be dead by now, and having just escaped some zombie-inferno they'll be walking through a field at sunset, and...

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm pretty sure Clem said she saw her parents in Episode 5, and they were dead.

Edit: Going over a video on Youtube now, I can confirm that, yeah. It was one of the more heartbreaking moments in there.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 8th Jan 2013 at 02:18.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh hell. Forgot about that part.