TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Walking Dead

Does the game have a lot of references to the show or the graphic novel?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Other than an early cameo from comic-universe Glenn, that's about it.

verbose douchebag
    They should do the second one from a zombie's perspective. I mean sure, the dialogue options may be a little impenetrable to begin with, but I'm guessing that would ease up once the game found its rhythm and the player started thinking like a zombie.

I bought it on a whim during Christmas sales, and god damn I loved every bit of it. The narrative was excellent and while it was more of an interactive story than a real game, I enjoyed it. A lot of games get the "choose your destiny" style of gameplay horribly wrong with black and white options or choices that have no real meaning, but TWD nails it, I think.

And when you show Clementine the bite, goddamn. I had to choke back tears.

Can't wait for the next season. I only hope that instead of the "everything falls apart" sad story, we might get a happier one.

One detail that I found pretty weird: the zombies in The Walking Dead (the game) show what would seem to be pretty advanced signs of decomposition. Since Lee wasn't out of it for the first weeks of the zombie apocalypse, I'd expect fewer of the shambling corpses to look that bad already - unless they literally rose from the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    One detail that I found pretty weird: the zombies in The Walking Dead (the game) show what would seem to be pretty advanced signs of decomposition. Since Lee wasn't out of it for the first weeks of the zombie apocalypse, I'd expect fewer of the shambling corpses to look that bad already - unless they literally rose from the grave.
    Well, he was also in the deep south in the summer, and things rot fast under that kind of temperature. Plus, they gotta look like zombies, ya'know?

For me, some of them looked half-skeletal already, at which point the whole shambling corpse thing becomes a bit difficult to swallow. On the whole I'd say the look of the walkers in the TV series is more plausible. Still, most of the time the undead were just the background to the human drama, so it's a very minor quibble on my part.

Finished all 5 episodes, this game, or rather interactive movie, is great. Gameplay-wise it's almost exactly like Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain, and it's involving, so people who like those two games will like this one too.

Why do so many hooplehead cocksuckers insist on calling adventure games something other than fucking adventure games? FFS

Level 10,000 achieved
    So other hooplehead cocksuckers can get needlessly worked up over definitions of games?

Fine. Planescape Torment is a point and click adventure and Mass Effect is a space sim.

Level 10,000 achieved
    OH NOOOOOO! :U

Seriously though, TWD isn't exactly a traditional adventure game. No constant inventory, very few areas you can visit at any given time, etc. I'd still say it's closer to adventure game than interactive movie, but I can understand why someone else might not.

242 and deth are old friends. I am grabbing some popcorn, this thread could get good.

Looks like Episode 1 of Season 2 is out tomorrow!

Having just completed both seasons of the Walking Dead I'm surprised that there hasn't been much in the way of a dedicated thread for the second season. While there appears to have been general acclaim for the first season there is very little written about the sequel in GG. I went looking for a Walking Dead 2 thread rather than post in the mega but could only find one for the first game with discussion of the sequel being made throughout a variety of different posts including this one. Suprised if there wasn't one based on how much people here must have anticipated the next installment after Season 1.

Anyway, I just completed both seasons of The Walking Dead in the weirdest order. Unlike most of you this is how I experienced the game:
    • S1 E1, no other episodes were available so I presumed that this was the end. I purchased S2 when it was on sale.
    • S2 E6, "All that remains". No idea why it threw me straight to this one and I didn't notice until I reached the end of S2. I was seriously wondering where the hell Lee had got to and why I was suddenly playing as a little girl. Still, I got into it. By the end I was really annoyed that I still didn't have any closure...
    • S2: E7, E8, E9 & E10. When I got to the end I had really been "dying" to know what happened to Lee and some of the others so looked online and found that I had obviously missed a "few" things.
    • S2: E1
    • And finally I went back and finished off the rest of series one.
    • S1 E2, E3, E4, E5

It was interesting playing the game at times in retrospect given that unlike most players I had seen the end of Season 2 before many of the episodes. I feel that it is testament to the greatness of the game that this didn't detract from the experience -- I was still hooked like crack on this right up until the end.

-------------------------------------
    re 400 days
    I just completed this a few minutes ago and I must confess that unlike S1&2 I really didn't care about any of the choices that I made as, unlike the rest of series, there was insufficient time given to any scenario to care about any of the characters so I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of their problems...
    Last edited by twisty; 7th Nov 2015 at 08:53.

I think that the second season was more true to the source material, especially with the idea that kids need to grow up ASAP in an environment like this and the appearance of Carver as a Negan type of character.

This time I felt that humans were clearly emphasised to be the bigger threat. In season 1, aside from the occasional bandit, cannibal and psychopath, a lot of the time things were ruined by zombies, not people. In season 2, zombies were more of a background noise and it felt much better.

I liked that Clementine got hurt this time. One thing that I like about TWD is that absolutely nobody is safe or untouchable and Clementine making it through season 1 essentially unharmed felt like a betrayal of that idea.

The return of Kenny I didn't much care for. I didn't find him a good character to either hate or like. The cameo of Lee was great though.
    Last edited by Starker; 7th Nov 2015 at 11:58.

Level 10,000 achieved
    S2 was one of the PS+ games this month, so I played S2E1 yesterday. I liked it! Was surprised to see Idle Thumbs podcaster Nick Breckon as the writer in the credits. I'm a fan of the guy from his podcasting but somehow I had no idea what his day job actually was.

Chakat sex pillow
    In my opinion, S2 suffered from a conflict of 'what the fuck do we do with this story now?'. I always thought setting the follow-up as a Clementine-led story would be problematic, and it is.

First up, the new set of survivors is mostly a bunch of unlikeable assholes. Not terribly different from the last time, but Lee was the glue that bound them together. This time, Clem is, of course, just a little girl, so she has very little sway over these jerk-offs. And even the one person she should have some influence over is still an unhinged man-baboon who repeatedly loses everyone he loves, gets the shit kicked out of him, and then decides to snap and kill someone because GOD DAMN IT YOU LOST A BABY YOU @!$%^!!. (Do not read that spoiler if you haven't finished the season.)

Secondly, the survivors seem to be unable to do anything without asking Clem to help out, and she ends up doing all the dangerous bullshit. Why? Because you're the player character, and it'd be really boring if everyone said 'you're a girl, go sit down while the adults figure this out.' The dissonance is pretty jarring.

Third, the game hits a high point in the middle of the season, after which it's not quite sure of what to do with itself, so it stumbles along in raggedy steps towards the finish line. The ending was slightly weird, a little sad, and a lot, 'this doesn't really fit in with my perception of this character'. Sure, they tried to chart the path of what led to it, but they weren't very successful with the entire final sequence of events that finally breaks him.

It's still a decent effort, so it's never bad. Just conflicted and not entirely sure of itself. That should be a fine metaphor if you're a little girl in a world gone insane, but this is a game where the little girl is the most level-headed character amongst them all.

It's a shame the original writers didn't have a hand in it. I'll look to Firewatch to see if they bring their spark to it. (Yes, I did just do that.)

Any idea when S3 might be coming?

I'm playing it on PSN, and I've got to disagree about making Clementine the protagonist - I think it's a great choice, because it makes the player/character dissonance into a story-telling point. You're playing a little girl, but the person playing the game is most likely an experienced gamer and an adult. So by the very act of an adult "brain" controlling a child, they've made a statement about how kids have to grow up quickly in this fucked up world. Maybe it wasn't intentional and I'm reading too much into it, but that's how I'm playing it, and suddenly all the ruthless, un-child-like stuff I'm doing becomes powerful drama rather than cognitive dissonance.

Chakat sex pillow

shook off your sleep / woke but to weep

Sure, this thread is as old as Lazarus, though unlike him maybe there's a limb or two popped a joint and dropped off, but like its namesake it's gotta keep going on.

I'll keep this short. Season 3 (A New Frontier) is mediocre, tepid, filled with schizophrenic characterisation, reuses situations with abandon (getting locked up in a warehouse/room/whatever is a recurring theme), and carries none of the emotional weight it needs to hit its narrative with. The attempt to make it a conflicted family drama rings hollow. Its mistakes are legion; but none so bad as not knowing what the fuck to do with Clementine as a person. Season 2 had some decent bits but in the end the series should have ended with her fate left unknown in S1, because that'd be far more poetic an end than the ongoing dour soap opera people keep dragging her into.

This probably cements my position as resident cynic, but as I told dethtoll, the worst insult at the end of this is the promise that there'll be more of it.

I've complained about the keyframed animations before, and ironically as the graphics get better, this stands out more and more. The same gawpy expressions and eyebrow arches that take a full second to complete, mannequin head shakes, and slow googly eyes remain almost unchanged from 5 years ago, and have no business being this exaggerated in a serious character drama that no longer evokes a comic book aesthetic. I know mocap and facial capture is expensive, but it's time they tried something different at the very least. The same goes for their Batman adaptation, which is also ultimately a disappointment despite having two (maybe three) interesting twists of narrative.

Yeah, I think I'll sit this one out, unless I have a weak moment once it's come down in price. I thought that S2, while flawed, still was worth playing, but the whole zombie apocalypse trope lends itself to diminished returns, because they're basically rehashing 2-3 story templates.

Also, I'm definitely tired of the bad (facial) animation in Telltale's games. The writing is usually okay and has some complexity, but the facial expressions are as subtle and believable as Victorian melodrama. The games would almost work better as radio plays, because Telltale simply isn't very good at visuals, and the facial animations are by far the worst part because they hurt the characterisation. I wasn't a big fan of Life is Strange, but it's so much better in this respect it's not funny.