TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Cryptic Realms 1.19 New Dark (14/10/2012).

Ghost
    Sensut, one zombie appears just outside the Sun God's book room; I can avoid him. The other zombie appears in the elevator room and stares fixedly at that doorway; he's the problem.

(I might be able to avoid him too, if he stalks around a bit before settling down: If I could get past the other zombie quickly enough, then maybe the elevator-room zombie will turn away long enough for me to slither past him, if I'm quick. Don't know how feasible that is.)

Another zombie, this one dressed like a mummy, wanders in periodically up the ramp from below; he's no problem to ghost.

Edit: Nope; the second zombie drops into the elevator room unalerted. Therefore he doesn't hunt or look around, and there's no way to get past him without busting the ghost. (If you want an easy fix, just set the elevator-room zombie to periodically turn and look another direction... north instead of west, for example (he can be glancing occasionally at the big Sun God symbol on the north wall). That would give a ghoster time enough to dart around south and get behind the elevator-room zombie, thence to escape without being detected.

Cheers,
    Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 23rd Sep 2012 at 04:01.

Start playing this one last night, i found some glyphs on the floors, what do i do with them?

Wow, what a great mission. Finished it on expert in 2 hours and half without taking any damage, and loved every minute of it. Another mission from my absolute favorite DromEd architect. I'm going to replay Dracula, now that I remember how much fun it was.

By the way Sensut, did you ever play Unholy Vivid Innocence?

What a gorgeous mission. Finished the normal objectives in one night and had an interesting second night searching for most optional objectives (especially the last pesky 200 loot or so, which wasa pocket of one of the undead in the lost city; in the end just one gem is still missing). The scrolls were fun, although, they made the mission quite easy. Despite the fact that I am not the fighting type of thief I found satisfaction in killing skeletons (and other undead) to get additional ruby gems. In particular, I liked the sound and ambiente, which made me shiver. Also, most shocking "exploding" sacrophages resulted in a superquick scared turn to the side of the sound and nearly run-away moments. An atmospheric masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Start playing this one last night, i found some glyphs on the floors, what do i do with them?
    What glyphs? where?

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    What glyphs? where?
    i found some marcs on the floor like they were drawn with chalk.

Those marks only show up on the easiest difficulty setting. They are to help with locating the secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    By the way Sensut, did you ever play Unholy Vivid Innocence?
    Of course, and like it. I've played all of your missions, except 2 yet which are based on Pinkdot's projects.

-
    Today I started to revert the mission to color (in fact it's a simple work, I need to replace the textures and re-add the light colors). Both versions (b&w and color), will be available soon with some fixes, including that mummy correction at sun book chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Those marks only show up on the easiest difficulty setting. They are to help with locating the secrets.
    Thanks Linda ;-)

Finished this amazing Mission, as i progressed in the game the mission became more imressive and captivating, i was really suprised to see new wonderful objects, also i loved the lost city part, the whole map of the mission is excellent, beautifull architecture as usual, perfect selection of ambient sounds that fit well, interesting new spells wich is something really new, my favourite part was to see the ghosts dancing and those two demons playing organ and piano :-). Nice story you made here Szabo.

Many thanks Szabo for this high quality mission, you and Haplo should make a team project for thief 2.

Ghost
    There is supposed to be a secret on the second floor of the King's Cross, but I can't find it. By "second floor," I'm not sure which is meant: the walkable level at about the level of the skulls that poke out from the cross (one of which is a different secret) or the not-really-navigable section in between that level and the floor level; but I can't find any secret in a "ruined tomb" at either of those elevated levels. Can someone give me a hint, please?

Edit: Ah, I understand -- "second floor" means the second corridor you come to, but still on the same vertical level as the switch behind the banner in the previous corridor that raises the grillwork. Nevermind!

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 24th Sep 2012 at 00:46.

Ghost
    Gaah! I need only 96 more in loot to clear the last optional objective. But where to find it?

Any suggestions? I have all the secrets, so it has to be something else...

Cheers,

Dafydd

Time for an update and a color bonus version!

CHECK THEM

If you ask me, the black@white version is better .

Thanks so much for this. For me Cryptic Realms was the only B/W mission I have ever enjoyed. It's going to be fun playing it in color.

Ghost
    Sensut, another suggestion for ghosters, if I may.

Those "ruined tomb" secrets are cool, but they have one serious drawback for those of us who like to ghost missions: Smashing the doors is louder than all get out. It alerts every AI for miles around -- even those in other FMs I'm not even playing!

I was in the corridor that surrounds the elevator down to the dancing hall; I waited until both the zombie and the skelly were at the far end (I had to wait through several patrol cycles); but when I smashed the door, both of them alerted nevertheless, full hunting alerts. That's a ghost bust.

That's not the only instance; the secret in the "second floor" (second corridor) leading to the King's Cross is right next to a stationary AI... who of course cannot help but be alerted when Garrett smashes the door standing about three feet away!

That puts ghosters into a quandry: Either we must skip a large number of secrets, as well as the loot, gems, and useful items found inside; or else we must go ahead and bust a nice ghosting run just to get a secret.

I have three possible fixes for your next mission:

• Make the doors crumble noiselessly into dust or a puff of magical smoke.
    • Make the sound as loud as you want... but more like an ambient noise or a Garrett voice over, that only the player can hear -- not the AIs.
    • Make the noise somewhat softer and the AI not quite so acute of hearing; then send nearby AIs on a patrol that takes them, at some point, out of earshot of the ruined tomb. That way they don't alert when Garrett smashes the door.

I prefer number three, because there's no bizarre change to basic physics; we just have to wait until the coast is clear before making noise. But any of these fixes would have made the game more ghostable.

(There is an ineradicable core of non-ghostability in this FM anyway, which could have been fixed with not too much trouble: We're required to kill the two musicians -- but there is no way of doing so silently. But that's a subject for another post. I would love to beta/ghost-test your next mission, Sensut; I always try to ghost missions if at all possible; and I have beta-tested quite a few FMs in the past, probably more than twenty.)

Cheers,

Dafydd

I understand your aspect, but ghosting was not in the plan in this mission. I made it more for combat than ghosting, for that reason are there many aggressive AI types with weapons instead of simple walking dead. For example, when you break a ruined stone wall that causes a loud sound especially in a large echoing crypt hall, even in RL . If I unlink these effects the mission will be deaf and blind . So, it's not suitable for ghosting, this should have been mentioned in the beginning. Sorry, it's my fault . But it was worth a shot, is not?

Ghost
    Sensut, my thought is that missions can be made to be both combat-friendly and also ghost friendly without too much trouble; that way, players can choose which way they want to play it.

Take the mummy in the room with the Sun God's book. There are already two ways to get the book and get out alive, depending on one's style of play:

1. You can grab the book, fight the mummy, kill it, then leave.
    2. You can grab the book and quickly run to the wall that separates the book room from the corridor outside, then hide there however long it takes for the mummy to calm down. (Yes, he's alerted; but I didn't alert him: He materializes already alerted. So that's not a ghost bust because it's scripted.) After he calms down, it's possible to sneak past him without an alert.

So you see, two different ways to play, and the player gets to choose. Freedom of choice!

The other encounters could have been created the same way, giving players the choice of how they prefer to play.

Also, please note regarding the "ruined tomb" secrets that my preferred way was not to make the game "deaf and blind," but rather to leave an option for ghosters to time the door-smashing such that the AI is out of earshot. If the player mistimes it, the AI alerts and starts hunting... so the player must load a savegame and try again. Players who like to fight can simply attack and kill the AIs... everybody's happy.

If you can add another style of gameplay (ghosting) without detracting from the style you have in mind (Garrett the MMA champion), why not? You can reach more people and give them what they want. Your FMs are already beautiful, scary, and challenging; you can make them flexible as well -- without in any way diminishing the fun of fighting the undead, for those who prefer it!

Dafydd

My intention was exactly the opposite, to force the player for fighting (and even not sufficiently). Anyway, you need to kill almost everybody to collect the maximum loot (a couple of zombies contains gems), to find all of the secrets and enjoy the spell effects. I don't want to modify anything in this mission and let's call simply an action mission not for ghosters. There are many of such .

"Bring it on, I prefer a straight fight, to all this sneaking around!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    Time for an update and a color bonus version!
    are you (or anybody else) able to post screenshots of the color version?

Thank you Sensut - this was amazing. I've played the black and white and the colour version now and it's just fabulous. Loved every minute.

Sorry MrMunkeepants, I'm a bit busy at the moment or I would post some colour shots. I did find the colour version easier to see everything though, if that's any help.

Awesome game. Took me several hours. Got 14 of the 15 secrets on my own. Short 194 loot though and I was very thorough.

One thing, I never used the crowbar. What's it for?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    are you (or anybody else) able to post screenshots of the color version?
    COLOR VERSION SCREENSHOTS

MONOCHROME VERSION SCREENSHOTS

Quote Originally Posted by Philflound View Post
    One thing, I never used the crowbar. What's it for?

Phil
    There is a small ventilation grille leading to the power station on the other end, where the ghost opens the grate door.
    Last edited by Sensut; 26th Sep 2012 at 03:42. Reason: clue

just wanted to say

WOW! just....... WOW! Thanks for bringing so much artistry to this game. Every time I've been killed so far, it's because I'm just standing around gawping at the statues... or whatever awesomeness has just caught my eye.

Seriously, thanks for all the beauty and spookiness. Having a ball. Know I'm not the only one.....

Thanks . Opened the mission in this "new" Dromed and just wondering how much I could improve on it now with these new opportunities, but rather I not deal with it anymore . Better I start a new mission from scratch.

Csabi, I just replayed the coloured mission. Looks great BTW.
    I found a small bug, which didn't occur on the black and white version betatest: when you're in the part with the demons and the dancing haunts, walking along the corridor, you need to pick up a candlestick from the wall to get to a secret. The secret ticks off, but the armoire doesn't go back to let the player pick up the loot. I thought you wanted to know.

I'm so looking forward to a next mission of yours (also betatesting???).

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast