TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: T2 Cryptic Realms 1.19 New Dark (14/10/2012).

It was really great mission, thank You Sensut!

Do you recognize these places:

Here is a new color version of Cryptic Realms only for Thief II v.1.19 a.k.a. New Dark.

Because it's a released mission I did not change anything in the gameplay, but there are some significant changes using the features of New Dark patch, that makes it totally dependent on it, so don't try to load this 1.19 version in any of the original Thief II versions! The major changes are in the architecture. All of the native monochrome and ruined textures are changed with colorful, dirty ones originated from Cardia's collection, who 1 year ago (or so), was nice enough to send me a DVD with textures and skyboxes (thanks again for that Pedro! ). I used 32 bit lightmaps, different ambient lights per different areas, and some other trivias. Unfortunatelly I could not fully take advantage of the new things, but I left them for a brand new mission .

Download:

MY SITE

RAPIDSHARE

Now, since this patch is a revolutionary new thing no anyone knows yet what could happen on different systems. Here is my building / testing system where I got 60 - 58 FPS continuously and had no problems running this version through FM selector:
    AMD FX 4100 X4 3600 MHz, nVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB, 4 GB 1833 MHz RAM, 1680 x 1050 widescreen, Windows7x86 Ultimate SP1 with DirectX 11.

Also I had no one crash in Dromed since this patch is released, so I never look back .

Try it!

Note: the ending movie is not included because does not correspond to the story in color.

Clearinghouse
    Cool. Thank you, Sensut! Downloading.

Thiefmissions.com

Added to the FM archive at http://thiefmissions.com/m/CrypticRealmsND. Guess I need to get moving on tagging FMs which need the NewDark engine.

Edit: Sensut, please let me know if you'd prefer this to be the main version of the mission or if the monochrome version should still be presented as the main version.

Also, why do the info files for the various version of the mission all say "Better Off Dead"? When I convert them to HTML that's what shows as the page title.
    Last edited by epithumia; 14th Oct 2012 at 13:11.

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia View Post

Also, why do the info files for the various version of the mission all say "Better Off Dead"? When I convert them to HTML that's what shows as the page title.
    I don't know, probably because I used and modified the rtf from that mission?

About the primary version, would be better if not. The original project was black&white and would be good if would be left so. The main is still the 1.1 monochrome.

Thanks!
    Worked like a charme! Had a good play-time with no issues at all.
    But the BW version still is the better one
    (Win7 64bit, using DarkLoader)

EDIT: Oh, if you ever need to update the version again, there is a minor issue in one of the texts (cmonks.str):
    page_0: ".... We are monks,
    page_1: "not warriors,
    The red part doesn't fit on the first page and does not get displayed. The next page would have enough room left for it.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 14th Oct 2012 at 16:57.

Ah yes, the very first 1.19 mission, I think!

Jolly good.

What a beautiful and great fanmission (like all your other works). The atmosphere is perfect and the organ scene is just hilarious. I wll also try the Black and White Version. One question: Did you forget to "color" the compass?

I can play the new one through Dromed (works fine), but not Darkloader it seems. It won't even let me choose a resolution without crashing. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Printer's Devil View Post
    I can play the new one through Dromed (works fine), but not Darkloader it seems. It won't even let me choose a resolution without crashing. Strange.
    Y've tried with the FM Selector? Or first start the regular Thief and set up the resolutions, then run FMs.

@Dainem: the compass is intentional. I liked better this than the original with that ugly yellow stars .

@gnartsch: opps, that must be because of the different font types used in b&w and color vers. thanks.

Yeh, I agree w/ the compass part. Very nice!

I'm down to one scroll, can't remember name and The missal.

And that's 1.19 Color version BTW. Very lovely FM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    EDIT: Oh, if you ever need to update the version again, there is a minor issue in one of the texts (cmonks.str):

The red part doesn't fit on the first page and does not get displayed. The next page would have enough room left for it.
    Unzip this and change the file called "crmonks.str" in Books/English in the mission zip.

Thx Sensut for this.Btw do You create a monochrome version for NEW DARK too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaratul View Post
    Thx Sensut for this.Btw do You create a monochrome version for NEW DARK too?
    Hmm, I have the monochrome already, only a few things are missing, but I don't know if does make sense because in b&w there is not much difference. But if it's already here and there is a need, I'll upload soon.

Looking forward to try it, but the game craches a second after the game starts.
    I have installed 1.19 patch and tried other FMs and they working fine.
    Any ideas?

Well I found All 5 scrolls, but where's the missal?

Otherwise, this has been a pleasant experience of an FM. Why, my only complaint is that some areas I thought you'd be able to go into, were never accessible. At least, not that I noticed.

You must have missed something, since there are no inaccessible areas, except for the street with 3 characters roaming around.
    Maybe you should double-check these places - or find another way in.
    The missal is where it should be. locked up in the church
    the key is not too far away

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    there are no inaccessible areas, except for the street with 3 characters roaming around.
    And even that is not just for show...

Thanks, Sensut, that was a great experience! Contrary to some others here, I prefer the color version of the mission (I've played both by now). Especially when one gets into the Lost City section with the lava. Neither the lava nor the red glow from it are in any way spectacular in the B/W version. B/W looked interesting at first, I felt like being in one of the old Hammer studios horror movies. But this faded even before I switched on the electric generator again. Furthermore, the color version looks less dark than the B/W one (although I think it's an illusion).

By the way, I found the placement of the lever on a certain gargoyle a bit... suggestive.

The only thing I really didn't like was this looong text about the mission details which Garrett already has in the beginning. I think it could (and should) have been significantly compressed. But it's not that important, of course.

Oh, I almost forgot... I've noticed that the objectives of finding secrets, scroll types and radiant gems are optional on easiest and hardest difficulty, while they're required on medium difficulty. Is there any special reason for this?
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 20th Oct 2012 at 17:50. Reason: Forgot a question

The middle level, as the name shows, is a challenge for Explorers, for those who really likes searching and wants to find anything in every corner. The middle level (Hard) is rarely chosen by players so I left only for the truly interested peoples thereby relieving the highest level from the obligatory side objectives.

Thank you for this absolutely fanstastic mission!
    The New color version being my favorite.

You're welcome. I hope there will be more occasions .

I also REALLY liked the first black and white version.
    That was my betatesting version. The new coloured version was, at least for me, a gift from Sensut

The Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    You're welcome. I hope there will be more occasions .
    Szabo (I hope I wrote your name OK): I'm counting on it!

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

With patch 1.19, art and architecture look outstanding!
    very fun mission to play.
    very well designed map.
    Thank you!

Please tell me where the crowbar is located on Easy. I'm at a loss. Played before on all levels.
    Many Thanks!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast