TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Eternity

I'm already there.

1/4 of the way there after a few hours. I can't even really afford $20 right now but I'm pledging anyway.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Fantasy? Chris Avellone?

Gonna wait and see.

I feel really "meh" about the whole thing. I'm not saying there isn't huge potential here, because there's a ton, but there's basically no information AT ALL about what the game really is going to be like other than another generic high fantasy setting (or so it seems at least) with real-time + pause combat (which are usually very mediocre).

Yeah, that's the other thing putting me off. For god's sake why can't people ape a GOOD system? (read: Fallout)

Fallout's combat always felt terrible to me.

Using the Fallout combat with a full party would suck ass, unless you want every encounter to last an hour. RTwP was great in the Infinity Engine games or Freedom Force so I'm not sure where the problem is.

Well, they could speed things up greatly in a turn based engine by taking a page out of Temple of Elemental Evil's book - wouldn't be too hard for them, considering they wrote that book.

That said, the underlying mechanics are more interesting to me the RTwP vs TB. Both those can work. I'm hoping they take more from SPECIAL then from DnD.

Realtime with pause is awful. It's what eventually drove me away from Dragon Age, and I stuck with that for as long as I could.

That must really limit your options when it comes to pc rpgs.

None of them are as good as Fallout 1 anyways \/

Hmmm, I'm a bit torn on this one - half the games they list as inspirations I loved, half I didn't care for at all

I like, and generally prefer, turn-based in my RPGs but Fallout's combat sucked.

On topic: An Avellone RPG, free from the constraints of a publisher, is just too good an opportunity to pass up. They have my $20.

Turn-based is ok when there's simultaneous movement. The normal way of doing things, where there's a roll for initiative and everyone stands around with a thumb up their ass when it isn't their turn is kind of hilarious, really. Not that it stopped me from enjoying Bard's Tale, Wasteland, or Dragon Wars though. Then again, those don't really play anything at all like an isometric turn-based game since there's simultaneous movement. I'm sure it won't be the case, but I wish Wasteland 2 would use a combat system like Wasteland or Frozen Synapse because it makes way more sense.

verbose douchebag
    Hmmmm. No screen shots or game play details means no dollar here.

Icewind dale, 1 & 2, Torment, KOTOR 2 (despite bugs), NW2... I am in. $20
    I don't know if they will reach their target though.

It has been a long time since I have got excited about to be released games, but with this, Dishonored and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, it sounds like things are definitely getting better.
    Last edited by Raven; 15th Sep 2012 at 06:22. Reason: I know that Project Eternity is not released until 2014. Though I apparently don't know how to use this forum.

Would Icewind Dale be of interest to someone like me who isn't particularly interested in combat but enjoys RPGs for the writing, the world, the characters and their interaction?

Not particularly, no.

The stories and 'world' are pretty good in both IWDs, imo, but the games are primarily about the combat. There's no party interaction to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I don't know if they will reach their target though.
    It's been slightly less than 24 hours and they're at $900k of $1.1 mil. I think they'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Hmmmm. No screen shots or game play details means no dollar here.
    I'm with you on that. Developer legacy is one thing, but if other KS projects need to show something tangible off, then so should these guys, honestly. Even the Wasteland guys at least managed to scrambled together some concepts and tech demos.

This is like a black box though, not even an idea what the game is about. Space pirates? Viking zombies? Invasion of Interstellar Half-kitten-half-Nixons? Who knows!

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, I would probably pay $20 for either of those combinations

I'm very excited about this one. Hope they make something great.

New info on the game on the KS page now and first concept art (video at KS page too):

Project Eternity is still early in development and we are still working on many of the cultures, factions, and ethnic groups of the world and debating many of the system concepts. However, there are certain fundamental things we want to let you know about the game and the setting for Project Eternity.

Your Party
    The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.

Formations
    A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Character Creation
    At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.

Companions
    In Project Eternity, companions exist for both narrative and mechanical purposes. Companions are designed to have a driving interest in the player's central conflict. Their personalities and motivations open plot branches and generate conflicts for players to resolve over the course of the story. They are highly reactive to the player's actions and to the world around them. Additionally, companions exist to give players strategic management options in party composition that expand the party's capabilities in exploration, combat, and quest resolution. It is no coincidence that there are at least as many companions as there are classes. As stated above, companions are not required to play through Project Eternity's story, but we feel that they can add greatly to the experience.

The Set-Up
    The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

The Nature of You
    Your character is not required to be of any particular race, cultural background, sex, class, moral outlook, personality, organization, etc. The premise is that you are a victim of circumstance. How you choose to deal with your situation is up to you. You can bear it with stoicism and restraint or fly off in a rage at anyone who gets in your way. The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to.

Races
    We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves), the out-of-the-ordinary (e.g. the so-called "godlike"), and the truly odd (?!). Races and subraces differ from each other culturally, but the races also have different physiological factors that can contribute to friction and confusion between them.

Within even the recognizable races (including humans), we are creating a variety of ethnic subtypes and nationalities. This world's races did not all spring forth from the same place, and millennia of independent development have resulted in distinctive and unconnected groups. For example, the dwarf ranger below is originally from a southern boreal region that is quite different from the temperate homes of her distant kin to the north.

Additionally, Project Eternity's world contains some isolated races and ethnicities, but transoceanic exploration and cultural cohabitation have heavily mixed many racial and ethnic groups over time. This mixing is not always... peaceful. At times it has degenerated into genocide and long-standing prejudices are ingrained in many cultures.

That's all for today's update. We'll have more information on the world and systems in the near future. Please give us your feedback and thank you for all of the ideas and support you've given so far!
    I've seen a lot of "no info no money" type posts around on the net but I'm pretty sure this is intentional... they're probably going to drip feed information over the course of the campaign to keep interest and press attention high, which is smart. If they threw everything out there right at the beginning they would suffer for it in the late stages.

Interview with Tim "I invented Fallout and then a couple of games that weren't very good" Cain:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...4-release-date

I hope they add in the option to turn off party member combat voice related stuff. That can get REALLY annoying in some rpgs (Baldurs Gate 2 I'm looking at you).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast