TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Eternity

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I'm playing. Still feeling around the first area after the tutorial, and it seems that you can get yourself into a lot of trouble very early on if you're not careful.
    Still, seems pretty damn good at the moment, and is basically Baldur's Gate 3.

So far, it's not bad, but my patience with needlessly slow movement animations dropped to zero a while back. Desperately needs a "fast animations out of combat" option.

[Edit:] Well, the devs apparently also thought it needed a double speed animation setting, cause there is one right on the UI. That helps quite a bit.
    Last edited by Phatose; 26th Mar 2015 at 21:52.

I saw this on sale at gog and was curious if it was any good or not.

...seeing as it's Obsidian, I'm going to wait a little longer to see if it's, you know, finished, before taking the plunge.

Since this was completed on their own timetable, I bet it will be the least buggy thing they've released alongside Dungeon Siege III.

Then again, they have a reputation for bugginess that doesn't get extended to, say, Bethesda, even though a fully-patched Bethsoft game tends to be as buggy as a newly-released Obsidian one.

Finished the first dungeon after the intro. With myself, a mage, and the only recruitable NPC I've met, another mage.

Clearly need to scrape together the coin to higher a fighter type ASAP. That or just restart as one. Between the aggravating lag between spell starting and spell going off, enemies have typically moved. Tag on spell interruptions, D&D style, and the fact that spells can just flat out miss targets even in their AoE, and it's frigging rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    ...a fully-patched Bethsoft game tends to be as buggy as a newly-released Obsidian one.
    Now, I'm by no means a Bethesda fan (actually not a very big fan of their games overall), but that is a dire exagerration. However, point conceded; I have an unfair perception of Obsidian's track record when it comes to the bugginess/state of their releases.

Although to be fair to myself, Obsidian does hold the dubious distinction of being the only studio to develop multiple games that I wanted to finish, but almost literally could not without heavy modification.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    Finished the first dungeon after the intro. With myself, a mage, and the only recruitable NPC I've met, another mage.

Clearly need to scrape together the coin to higher a fighter type ASAP. That or just restart as one. Between the aggravating lag between spell starting and spell going off, enemies have typically moved. Tag on spell interruptions, D&D style, and the fact that spells can just flat out miss targets even in their AoE, and it's frigging rough.
    If you've triggered the Watcher encounter at the tree, you can recruit the fighter who stands at the base.
    No spoiler there, just very careful with wording

I'm playing a Hearth Orlan Rogue pirate from the Deadfire Archipelago who's on the run after having a "disagreement" with her captain. Love the depth of story created by the character creation and intro.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by polytourist97 View Post
    Now, I'm by no means a Bethesda fan (actually not a very big fan of their games overall), but that is a dire exagerration. However, point conceded; I have an unfair perception of Obsidian's track record when it comes to the bugginess/state of their releases.
    • Every Bethesda developed RPG since Oblivion has consistently had hundreds of bugs which were never fixed by the developers. Fans had to fix these. This is a fact.
    • Every Bethesda developed RPG since Oblivion has consistently had severe memory management issues which were never fixed by the developers. Fans had to fix these. This is a fact.

Nothing is being exaggerated here.

Quote Originally Posted by polytourist97 View Post
    I saw this on sale at gog and was curious if it was any good or not.

...seeing as it's Obsidian, I'm going to wait a little longer to see if it's, you know, finished, before taking the plunge.
    Haven't had a single issue. Haven't heard of anyone having major issues either. But this is still only 12 hours in. Maybe it'll get buggier 60 hours in or something.

Thing What Kicks
    Also, people forget it (because it was pretty forgettable), but Dungeon Siege 3 was pretty bug-free.

Mind you, I thought Stick of Truth was pretty damn problem free too.

I mean, sure, it's too early for me to say with Pillars of Eternity, but maybe Obsidian's days of buggy releases are behind them?

Moderator and Priest
    Other than it seeming to play failure sounds for some successful attacks, the game has been perfectly smooth and bug free for me.

Hard as hell, but perfectly smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    If you've triggered the Watcher encounter at the tree, you can recruit the fighter who stands at the base.
    No spoiler there, just very careful with wording

I'm playing a Hearth Orlan Rogue pirate from the Deadfire Archipelago who's on the run after having a "disagreement" with her captain. Love the depth of story created by the character creation and intro.
    .....I'll try that when I get to play next. Would've been handy to know before my tomb raid.

Thing What Kicks
    Dunno about anyone else, but I'm finding every party member I meet is incredibly well written with intriguing backgrounds. Loving the detail here!
    I keep forgetting to talk to them, but when I remember, they always have something interesting to say.

Is there an option hidden somewhere for proper transparency on overlaying environmental objects? Every time I get into a fight in a forest, I can't see shit but trees.

I'm playing it too, and I like it. Baldur's Gate 2 felt like something between Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, and Pillars of Eternity feels like a cross between BG2 and P:T. Still, I'm not totally satisfied. The quality of the writing is very inconsistent (it was written by a lot of guys after all). Some NPCs and stories are pretty awesome, some are bland and cliche. The history books that explain the lore are no Herodotus, and the poems and sermons are god-awful :P . I'm also very dissapointed, that NPCs created by Chris Avellone got censored and butchered by Obsidian...

Still, it's a cool game.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Silk View Post
    ...Pillars of Eternity feels like a cross between BG2 and P:T.
    I think this line sums it up quite nicely. I think it finds the perfect meeting ground between the two. Good old fashioned high fantasy with a slight surreal edge that makes it just weird and different enough.

I'm about 7 hours in, and so far, I'm loving every second of it.

Any game where you don't get XP for combat should not include this much of it.

Moderator and Priest
    I think they've got just the right amount. It isn't big battle after big battle like BG2, but isn't mostly talking and exploring, with the occasional fight like PS:T. There's just enough in there to keep both interesting.

In fact, earlier on, I managed to avoid a whole load of fighting just by being a little forward thinking. I didn't think the trick would work, but...lo and behold, it did. Wish I could say more, because I thought it was a particularly clever thing for the devs to throw in, especially considering they gave no hints about it whatsoever. I just tried it, and watched things take an entirely different outcome than what I expected.

...then again, it might do the same thing either way. But if it does, then the game did a good job of making me feel like I was being smart.

I'm going to disagree with you there. I certainly wouldn't describe the fights as occasional, but more importantly: You can't actually make a cross between Baldur's Gate and Torment. It doesn't work.

In BG, a bad roll on the die, and you were dead and reloading the game.

In Torment, it didn't matter what you rolled, you were dead. You could bring back you friends since the tutorial dungeon. And dying wasn't a reload, it was the whole point of the entire game.

"Win or reload" and "LOL Fuck You, I'm immortal" really don't mix.

I'm not thrilled with the game the way everyone else seems to be. The UI is not especially descriptive, class balance seems non-existent ("Mage: Limited number of spells unless you rest, which you need an expendable for. Psionic: Just attack, you get more spells.") Combat is a frustrating affair which happens way too often for no reward, and doesn't allow "Don't give a fuck" tactics in more occasions then it should.

The story seems promising, but it's very easily side tracked, and the quality is all over the map.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm talking from a thematic standpoint. Gameplay is far more BG2.

As for the wizard vs. ciphers thing. I've got my wizard up to level 6, and he's got about 15 casts at his disposal across three levels of spells. I find that by the time I'm running low on spells, a bunch of people are dipping into the red on health anyway, so I might as well rest to get everyone back up to par. Yeah, the ciphers do pretty much have unlimited casts, but for one thing, you have to get them up on the front line to get mana back, and for two, they're mainly geared towards charming and debuffing, and can't outclass a wizard on damage (though they do have one really mean spell that has the advantage of NOT hitting your own guys).

There are some weird balance issues here and there that do give some classes slightly cheap advantages, but I'm not finding it totally out of whack to the point it breaks the game.

So, the new patch is out, and I'm seriously tempted. However... I can't help thinking I'll be learning about what this patch breaks soon enough. Can't... Play... Yet...

I'm really conflicted about picking this up, maybe you can advise? From everything I hear I REALLY WANT TO GET IT, and I've been craving a rich/deep RPG to sink myself into. On the other, I couldn't stand the BG or Tormet particularly for its shittastic combat and overly-verbose text. Thoughts?

It's got a lot more text than those games, and the writing is a lot worse than BG2 and Torment. It might be nostalgia, but to me Torment felt like a pretty cool and ambitious fantasy novel, and BG2 was just fun as hell, and didn't take itself too seriously. Pillars of Eternity feels like reading a bad and cliched novel that occasionally has a cool scene or dialogue IMO.

The combat is very, very similar to those games, but much more difficult, sometimes to the point of being frustrating.

I still like this game, and I'm not very far into it either (just got to Defiance Bay) so it might suddenly get a lot better. But if you didn't like infinity engine games, then chances are you'll hate this one.

It's more like BG2 than anything else, if that's any help. Expect a lot of reading and lore, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Silk View Post
    It might be nostalgia, but [..]
    This.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast