TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Eternity

Yeah, probably.

No patch on GoG yet . Guess there'll be none until wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    It's more like BG2 than anything else, if that's any help. Expect a lot of reading and lore, though.

Hmm is it at least innovative/interesting lore or the same powerful gods, ancient evil, destiny, dwarves in caves with elves in the trees. And dragons.

It's all very classic stuff. Almost like Forgotten Realms but without the license. And with names of characters and places that came straight from a random fantasy name generator .

There are elves, there are dwarves, there's an ancient evil lurking in the deepest level of a dungeon under a castle. There are dragons too, and there may be some powerful gods (there's talk of a dude who believed he was one and he had awesome powers). The cool feature is that your character can look into some of the NPCs souls and have a glimpse of their past. Of course it's all text.
    Last edited by Severian_Silk; 4th Apr 2015 at 17:05.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Hmm is it at least innovative/interesting lore or the same powerful gods, ancient evil, destiny, dwarves in caves with elves in the trees. And dragons.
    For one thing, Dwarves are more like Inuits than Cave People With A Scottish Accent in this game. For another, Elves are like everyone else, but are skinnier, and live longer. It's got the usual tropes superficially, but doesn't adhere to them down to a T.

I'm really conflicted about picking this up, maybe you can advise? From everything I hear I REALLY WANT TO GET IT, and I've been craving a rich/deep RPG to sink myself into. On the other, I couldn't stand the BG or Tormet particularly for its shittastic combat and overly-verbose text. Thoughts?
    Skip it. It's combat draws very heavily from it's infinity engine predecessors, and there is a lot of combat. If you really don't like that kind of gameplay at all, I can't see you possibly enjoying this.

Lorewise, it's interesting if nothing else. The gods exist, but it's not exactly standard religion. The one recruitable priest in the game refers to his god as 'whore'. One god got blowed up with a giant medieval bomb.

A lot of it feels like classic fantasy but it's got a unique flavour, let's put it that way. The characters act consistently with the world and its history and there's a lot of it. But it's not like Torment where everything is weird and turned upside down and not at all what you're not expecting.

Basically, what the Wolfe fan said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Silk View Post
    Almost like Forgotten Realms but without the license.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Finally playing this and enjoying it quite a bit - more so than that other big fantasy Kickstarter that's out, Divinity: Original Sin, which I never really warmed to.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused with respect to weapons and damage: I have no idea what the advantages and disadvantages are of going with a fast, low-damage weapon vs a slow, high-damage weapon. Also, since I'm used to D&D games where you get the +1 or +2 weapons thrown at you fairly quickly, which doesn't happen here: at the beginning, does it make more sense to keep my weapons but improve them by enchanting them?

I think you'll find some unique weapons and armor pretty soon. I'd recommend enchanting them rather than plain swords & axes .

I actually like Divinity a lot more, but at the same time can't really get into it as much as into Eternity. Pillars of Eternity was kind of a disappointment for me, I guess.

The fast but low vs slow but high damage stuff has been common in RPGs for many years.

Advantages of fast but low dmg - Lots of attacks can be done in a short time frame, easier to dodge attacks from enemies.

Advantages of slow but high dmg - Big damage.

Which is better? Neither. It's a play style. So pick the one you want and go with it.

I get the principle, but in practice I don't really know what this means in PoE: how do fast, slow, average compare in the game? I'm used to 'reading' the information I'm given in a D&D game, but I find the stats gameplay in PoE less immediately understandable, and the game doesn't seem particularly interested in teaching its systems to me. That's okay for some things, but with respect to combat I feel more at a loss than I do with other games that offer tactical combat.

In case any of you can help:

I'm probably in my last few hours of the game; I'm halfway through Act III in the main quest, have finished most of the sidequests, and I'm currently in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon - which is also where I've run into something of a wall, it seems. That fight against High Abbot Kaoto keeps kicking my semi-frozen behind, where I've managed most fights with little to no difficulty so far. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with Kaoto and his crew? Right now I'm off to level up once more, which is only a few thousand XP away, but any suggestions more concrete than that would be much appreciated.

Did you manage to get past that? If you follow the Abbot's instructions and drown everyone, you can convince most of his allies to leave during the big fight. Makes it much easier.

I did in the end, mainly by going away and leveling up some. I didn't drown everyone, mainly because that's not how I roll.

One of my favorite parts of the game (just spent May playing it) is how most of the time the choice with the easiest consequences also tends to be the most ethically questionable one. Well, that and most of the big choices (such as the one in the Abbey) are grey as hell and are less about doing the right thing and more about defining your reputation.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is out April 3rd.
    https://newsletters.obsidian.net/w/y...c9gAz5TDQrJ2EA

Looking forward to playing this one. The first game was excellent.

Moderator and Priest
    Same here.

I'm surprised to see it coming out so soon, actually.

Level 10,000 achieved
    By the by, Pillars can be picked up cheaply right now as part of the Paradox Humble Bundle. In case anyone here doesn't have it, and wants it.

I don't have it, for instance. And y'know what? I don't want it either!

I used to *love* RPGs, and I still really like some of them, but Pillars didn't really do much for me. Too much combat (I play RPGs for the storytelling and the choices that involve conversation, not daggers), too much exposition, too verbose, in a way that turned the characters into sourcebooks. I've supported Pillars II in the hope that it'll be more of a Baldur's Gate II to the first game's Baldur's Gate, but I can't say I'm excited about it.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, Pillars' combat and its frequency pissed me off too. I also can't stand RPGs that rely too heavily on monster abilities that rip control of the players' character away from them, and Pillars is particularly egregious in this respect.

On top of which, no matter how many people try to tell me otherwise, real-time-with-pause in orthographic RPGs pales in comparison to turn-based combat for me, and far too often descends into a shambolic clusterfuck. It would be okay if said clusterfuck generated interesting and amusing stories, but it doesn't. It's just frustrating and annoying, leaving me with no real feeling of control.

Chakat sex pillow
    I guess it gets better the further in you get? From the ~8 hours I've played, I'd class it as somewhere between Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, which means it's pretty fucking weird if nothing else.

I played Eternity exactly the same as I played Baldurs Gate. If you have tough enemies and some space to spare, get some nice distance, go full ranged attack on em + use spells and summoning spells/items if you have them. Do that till the enemies get close and then switch to turn based to tell your guys to run off. Switch back to real time and once party members are a safe-ish distance switch back to ranged.

Rinse, repeat.

For the harder ones, keeping a summoned creature of some sort to tank that 1 tough enemy is a MUST. That was the only way I could beat that damn dragon. You will understand once you've encountered it. In Eternity it's easier to pull off as you get a FAIR amount of creature summoning items + spells.

I got through that tower in Baldurs Gate 2 that everyone said was impossible prior to getting some class changes (halfway through the game if I remember right), that way. May have required a bit of save loading, but I got it done. You get a nice amount of XP and gear from that place.

Note - It's been a while since I last played Pillars of Eternity so I forget if that has turn based mode switching or not, but you can still do the above tactic fairly well.
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Jan 2018 at 08:31.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I guess it gets better the further in you get? From the ~8 hours I've played, I'd class it as somewhere between Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, which means it's pretty fucking weird if nothing else.
    Dunno about that. I trudged through almost to the end before flinging it down in frustration. Don't really have a desire to go back either, even though my backer level entitled me to the expansion for free.

It's Obsidian. It's great. Maybe not as good as some of their other work (AP, FNV, KotOR2) but better than 95% of what's out there RPG-wise. You know what you're getting: a slow start, the best characters/setting/dialog in the industry, some rough edges, a bunch of Bioware fanboys whinging about how bad it is. Same thing applies to Black Isle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast