TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3813141516171819202122232833 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

Now… this might have been said already, but I guess many answers from the Thief Series FAQ will just have to be replaced with "Install the 1.19 patch"

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    @bobber:

That's odd. Have you tried right clicking the winrar.exe or winzip.exe and saying run as administrator? Once you've done that, try extracting again. You can also try extracting the thief2.exe to just your root drive and see if it lets you. I'm suggesting that cause I'm curious if it's a directory issue with privileges or if it's some other problem.

@qolelis:

ctrl+P? Never heard of that one... I thought it was shift + ; At least that's what I've used while in dromed game mode.
    Praise the Builder that was it! I right-clicked on Winrar and ran it as administrator and everything went perfect. I can't believe the change in resolution now.
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    ctrl+P? Never heard of that one... I thought it was shift + ; At least that's what I've used while in dromed game mode.
    Both work: Ctrl+P brings up the command console and the latest command, while : brings up an empty command console. At least it does so for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MRock004 View Post
    Hey Fafhrd,

Are you using nvidia 3d vision kit for stereo 3D? I've spent the last couple of days trying to get it to work but have had no success. Is there anything you had to configure to get it working or did it work right off the bat? If anyone has any tips for me I'd surely appreciate it, thanks all!
    I was using iZ3D's AMD Checkerboard output to a Samsung 3DTV. Didn't require anything more than turning the driver on.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    That's right, 64-bit . What about 32-bit?
    Please read exactly what I linked from Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The x87, MMX, and 3DNow! instruction sets are deprecated in 64-bit modes. The instructions sets are still present for backward compatibility for 32-bit mode; however, to avoid compatibility issues in the future, their use in current and future projects is discouraged.
    Current and future 32bit programs should not use x87, MMX, or 3DNow!. Skyrim PC received a fair bit of flack for failing to adhere to this (and for not turning on largeaddressaware).

Our mystery developer(s) didn't do that and I presume it was a purposeful choice. The idea of wanting to make sure a fourteen year old game retained it's ability to run on ancient equipment. The very definition of Microsoft's statement on backwards compatibility. Remember that the DX6 rendering path is still accessible to the game.

There are secondary arguments against MMX being worthwhile due to it's known limitations with regard to the mixing of integer and fpu operations. I don't find that discussion topical.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    And 2 demos for it :
    Demo Thief (Bafford's manor) : http://depositfiles.com/files/9qzqrf7mu | md5 : 6f297e85577c6faa89f62805e00fbc74
    is this supposed to run in T2? because Darkloader doesn't see it as being able to, and I don't have T1 any more

It's standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    I'm thuroughly enjoying playing the games again, on a quad core. Haven't noticed any problems at all so I'd assume the answer is yes.
    From what I can tell, it actually leverages multiple cores now.

It did seem to break the NVIDIA SLI profile though. Gotta sort that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Connor View Post
    From what I can tell, it actually leverages multiple cores now.
    F**k me, hold tight. What's that? A 6-core/12-thread CPU? Man, you rig is more powerful than mine by 4-6 times. Congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    F**k me, hold tight. What's that? A 6-core/12-thread CPU? Man, you rig is more powerful than mine by 4-6 times. Congratulations !
    Could it be an Intel Core i7-3930K?

Updated Magnet Link of the complete release including the hex fixed editors.

Thief 2 with patch v1.19
    performance is greatly improved but it still uses only one thread.

Last edited by partol; 29th Sep 2012 at 18:12.

Zombified
    seems to be using both cores here.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    No worries we were all young once.

1) if you only want to play you don't need any of the DromEd stuff. But ... you may still want it because it can be useful, and you never know, you might get bitten by the modding bug. So I recommend installing it all if you have the disk space to do so.

2) This is probably the simplest approach for you to take (others may disagree and chime in):
    a) reinstall a clean T2 from your official media. Since yours is from Steam & mine isn't I don't know exactly what that means for you. But you want a clean installation with no customizations to start with.
    b) read and apply Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2 to your current T2 installation. I suggest this because, while it may put in some stuff that's obsoleted by 1.19, it should guarantee that your base is now a correct 1.18 patched version. Start Thief2.exe and test it to make sure everything works as expected.
    c) read and apply the "Instructions for Installation and Application of the 1.19 Patch Including DromEd" (above). Start Thief2.exe and test it to make sure everything still works as expected.

That should do you.
    After half an hour of patching, copying install directories and getting "Insert Original CD" prompts in my Tafferpatched (1.03) Steam version (wtf), I finally got it to work! Seems I hit the right combination of files, at least I get to the menu for now. So thanks a lot once again!

Only 1/2 an hour? \O/ That's way better than it used to be with 1.18!~

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    seems to be using both cores here.
    Your picture shows it uses two cores but simultaneous processing is not shown.
    The reason two cores are used is becaue windows can move a single thread from one cpu core to the other cpu core.
    multi-threading = one process uses two or more cores simultaneously.

In order to prove there is multi-threading, it must be possible to show more than 50% total cpu usage on a 2-core cpu.
    Or more than 25% total cpu usage on a 4-core cpu.
    Or more than 13% total cpu usage on a 8-core cpu.
    Last edited by partol; 30th Sep 2012 at 08:38.

It's worth pointing out that although modern compilers can produce code capable of multi-core use, it would still require the original code to have been designed with the assumption that multiple cores would be used. I've no idea about the original code for Dark, but I would have thought it reasonable that the code was written without multi-thread handling being used (things like mutex's and so on) since multi-core CPUs were very rare back then, so a compiler would struggle to parallelise the code.

I see only 12-13% usage while playing Shock 2 on my 8-core (4 physical, 8 logical) i7, so the engine is indeed a linear process.

greater than 12-13% (in your case) would indicate that, sure, but less than 12-13% doesn't mean it's not happening. Only that it didn't need those cycles for what it was doing. You can't prove it either way with less, only with more will you know.

I should have looked at this sooner. I assumed before.

What we're seeing are the libraries it calls getting spread around. Since shock2.exe isn't listed multiple times, probably better to simply say the game had the affinity issues fixed.

Funny, when I look at my processes in HTOP (A console-based task manager for Linux), the game seems to only be using one core of my 4-core system. But it' using about 8-10% on Rose Cottages' epic front porch sequence, and the game doesn't hardly wince at the Castle in King's Story, so the optimizations really pay off. Still, I planned on buying a newer card: The ATI 4000 HD series has some minor graphical glitches which really stands out with the dark environments of Thief.

Also, I tried out Darkhook and it crashes now. Anyone know of this Dark Engine command prompt has any new features?

Not that it really matters, but looking at my cpus during a complete processing (32-bit lightmap lighting at the time, I think) I see all cores seriously active. My bet is that if DromEd itself is running on just one core, it has helper utility programs that spread the load. I saw total cpu spike above 55%. It's interesting to watch while DromEd chugs away at the misison.

DromEdPerformance.jpg

Oh, my normal cpu levels are at 3-5%, so I think it's safe to say something DromEd does uses all cores.
    Last edited by LarryG; 30th Sep 2012 at 02:46.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    Could it be an Intel Core i7-3930K?
    Well, given the fact that the rig has two GeForce GTX 670 or 680 in SLI, yes, it is definitely Core i7-3930K or even i7-3960X.

This is a great patch!
    Small problem though; when picking up loot I'm missing the rotating item in the lower right corner now.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

Can we keep editing questions to the Editor's Guild please. 242 and Ricebug, I've moved your posts here.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3813141516171819202122232833 ... LastLast