TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    How big are those textures?
    Yandros was right 4096x4096, which translates to a 256x256 dromed cube. And yes it was wallpaper, original was 5981x4152, resized to work. Downloaded it here if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I can't help thinking from the number of fixes and the type of fixes that someone had access to the source code, at least for reference, when they did it
    Shhhhhh...Tell no one...

Hi Esme!...Long time no see...

ZylonBane
    I can't help thinking from the number of fixes and the type of fixes that someone had access to the source code, at least for reference, when they did it
    Well, if by "someone", you mean everyone, then that seems likely.

I can't help thinking from the number of fixes and the type of fixes that someone had access to the source code, at least for reference, when they did it ... changing the mantling engine ... I didn't even know that was possible
    Nah. My pet theory is that someone at the Pentagon (or maybe DARPA) is a Thief2 fan, and used the Thief2 executable in a test of a new Computer Anti-Terrorist Code Reverse Engineering Algorithm (CATCREA). Then in her spare time, between her important work at the pentagon tracking down Osama bin Laden and her busy family life (kids, house cleaning, hubby, cub scouts, soccer, etc.), she decided to improve the resulting super-secret reverse-engineered Thief2 source code for the betterment of humanity (or at least the LGS loving portion of humanity, which, as we know, includes all the very best of humanity). Unfortunately she wasn't able to devote more than an hour and a half to the new feature coding each weekday night (except Thursdays when she went to PTA and had a drink after with her girl friends), which was when she used to iron her family's sheets but she sacrificed her family's comfort to the cause of making a better Thief executable, so she missed a few things like shadows when out of doors during the daylight and jumping on crates (which she is not entirely sure should be encouraged as it is a dangerous practice ... people should go get the step ladder AND put it back when done, thank you very much!) and feels terrible about that and the fact that her family had to sleep on rumpled sheets for the past two years. When she thought she had everything ready, she used her contacts in the CIA to ensure that the release was handled in a way that does not lead back to her, because, after all, it was a technical misuse of government property to do what she did, even if it makes the world a safer place for taffers. She knows that government watchdogs who don't play Thief can be so stuffy about those little technical violations of national security. But she is sure that if the president knew what she accomplished, he would approve and maybe even give her a medal, except this is an election year and the Republicans would use it against him. So I would like the offer up the Taffer's Presidential Medal for Creative Computing to Mrs. J. Q. Smith of Arlington, VA. Let us all give her three cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PresMedTaffer.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1254
    Last edited by LarryG; 3rd Oct 2012 at 21:16.

Zombified
    the Mystery Man must be laughing, flying on the Raven's wings.

The mystery man must be far away by now. In another country, possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    everyone
    .: L-L-LOOK AT YOU HACKER .:. A WHOLE WORLD UNDER INSPECTION inspection .:. S-S-SEVEN seven BILLION INNNSSECTS WITH THE H-H-HEART AND MIND TO C-C-COMPLETE complete THE TAAAAAAASK :.

I'm replaying Thief 2 with 1.19, I'm at mission "Blackmail", and I found a bug which I hadn't seen in my last pre-1.19 playthrough. It involves a secret so I added spoiler tags.

In the Chapel, when I shoot an arrow through the hammer-shaped hole, the huge iron hammer doesn't move to reveal the floor passage to the basement, even though it says "secret found". I can still wedge myself into the hole using the lean keys, but not in such a way as to use the ladder. Not sure if this has anything to do with 1.19, but didn't see it before and couldn't find any occurrences on google. Did anyone else have this bug?

Zombified
    worked ok for me.

Last edited by voodoo47; 4th Oct 2012 at 10:48.

I'm logging in for the first time in YEARS to say:

WOOOO HOOOO!!!

I was -just- thinking the other day about playing some Thief again, but thought to myself "I'm running windows 7 now, no way it'll work. Had enough trouble with XP...". Then I check the forums on a lark yesterday, and BTB, I saw this and my jaw hit the floor!

Whoever did all this amazing work, add my thanks to the dozens, if not hundreds, you've already received. Between a relative in the hospital and my other favorite game (City of Heroes) getting canceled, I sorely needed a pick-me-up. So again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

(heck, maybe now I can finally finish that mission that got too big for Thief to run....)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    worked ok for me.
    Thanks! I'll upload a video of the bug as soon as I get the chance.

I just played the Thief demo and I want to get started playing Thief, just 2 questions;
    1) I have Thief Gold, do I need another patch before this new patch, and how do I apply this current patch since this is for Thief 2...
    2) I have several texture replacers like Rebirth for System Shock 2 and those really make the game look nice, could you recommen some replacers to make Thief look prettier?
    Thanks in advance for your help guys!

1) No, there are no official patches for TG. It's ready for the "1.19" patch. To apply the new patch, extract the contents of new_dark and contrib to your TG folder, then rename "Thief2.exe" to Thief.exe. You then have to edit cam.cfg or cam_ext.cfg and add the text dark1 on a line on its own.

2) A the time of writing there's a TG texture update thread just a few threads below this one.

1) An easier way, would be just to install TFix.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Thats the ticket! Thank you so much for your answers I will be doing some heavy duty Thieving tonight!
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Nah. My pet theory is that someone at the Pentagon (or maybe DARPA) is a Thief2 fan, and used the Thief2 executable in a test of a new Computer Anti-Terrorist Code Reverse Engineering Algorithm (CATCREA). ...

Hahahaha, Larry that was great. Of course it sounds like wishful thinking to me but it was an entertaining post anyway.

I think an ex-LGS employee that got hold of the source code decided to update the game. Either that or some fan(s) that wish(es) to remain anonymous. After all, in the downloaded package for 1.19 there was a note from "Keepers" which may suggest more than one person worked on this patch.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    some fan(s) that wish(es) to remain anonymous.
    One that works for the Pentagon or DARPA perhaps ... to clinch the matter and prove it to skeptics, Mrs. J. Q. Smith of Arlington, VA has a pet cat named Crea!!! CAT named CREA. CATCREA. Computer Anti-Terrorist Code Reverse Engineering Algorithm (CATCREA). Explain that away you doubters!

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    That file should have been zipped. Some programs won't allow you to D/L an .exe file.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    One that works for the Pentagon or DARPA perhaps ... to clinch the matter and prove it to skeptics, Mrs. J. Q. Smith of Arlington, VA has a pet cat named Crea!!! CAT named CREA. CATCREA. Computer Anti-Terrorist Code Reverse Engineering Algorithm (CATCREA). Explain that away you doubters!
    Now you're starting to sound like Tracer Tong.

Zombified
    trail of blood with 32bit lightning.

Obviously it was made by those same people on the TTLG source code thread who were forever telling everybody to ... about them working on it. Posting it on a French site and then feigning amazement was a nice touch ! It also seems to be the same people offering tech advice on it in the various threads - bit of a giveaway. You should come out of the shadows and take the plaudits you deserve.

After weeks and weeks of playing DayZ and Borderlands 2, I needed Thief 2 like Michael Clark Duncan needs a 2013 calendar, but this patch you guys did is amazing. Everything is so crisp and clear - you can imagine how beautiful ASHEN AGE looks !
    I hope you get around to turning Dromed into a proper WYSIWYG editor eventually.
    Last edited by nickie; 5th Oct 2012 at 19:29. Reason: Bad language is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    Obviously it was made by those same people on the TTLG source code thread who were forever telling everybody to ... about them working on it. Posting it on a French site and then feigning amazement was a nice touch ! It also seems to be the same people offering tech advice on it in the various threads - bit of a giveaway. You should come out of the shadows and take the plaudits you deserve.

After weeks and weeks of playing DayZ and Borderlands 2, I needed Thief 2 like Michael Clark Duncan needs a 2013 calendar, but this patch you guys did is amazing. Everything is so crisp and clear - you can imagine how beautiful ASHEN AGE looks !
    I hope you get around to turning Dromed into a proper WYSIWYG editor eventually.
    The creators have very valid reasons for not coming out of the shadows, so let's just leave it at that and hope that they can see the many thanks we were throwing in their "general direction"
    Last edited by nickie; 5th Oct 2012 at 19:29. Reason: Removing the offensive language in the quote

Got some weirdos coming out of the woodwork here.

I'm just happy to have something that works after having to hack together mods for years. I also appreciate all the hard works that's gone into the new patch.

I spoke to Paul Neurath (Looking Glass) on the phone a couple years ago, asking if one of his troops had the source code. His feelings at that time was that because Thief 4 was in production, Eidos was likely not releasing ANYTHING to ANYONE, regardless of how old the code was.

If I were to venture a guess, someone in the biz got the shaft and decided to help us poor taffers out as a form of revenge. Not uncommon in the game software world. Sticking in bits of back door code "just in case." Sneaking a copy of something into your Beach Boys CD case and taking it home. Stuff like that.

ZylonBane
    Kind of like what happened with Anachronox after Ion Storm shut down-- one of the devs released a couple of patches that added some gameplay features and made major improvements to the stability of the game.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast