TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

What do you mean "NewDark on Intel Macs?" AFAIK, MacOS has its own executable file format (Mach-O), so if anyone would like to run NewDark on Mac, then s/he would need Wine or even Windows via Parallels. Also, MacOS doesn't support DirectX natively, only OpenGL, so "Le Corbeau", whoever s/he is, will need to port the Direct3D component of the engine to OpenGL.

Ok, next question. DDFix set up a directy in the RES directory (under default install) where replacement textures would be located (like T2Water & T2Skies,) The DDFix.ini would then include 2 lines - One to turn on replacement textures and one to set the location (.\RES\ddfix for example.) Does the new patch reference the same location? Is there a way to change where it looks (in case you don't like to do things with the default settings?) Does the new patch even allow texture replacements like that?

Zombified
    yes, NewDark is compatible with ddfix overrides. you will have to set the path to the overrides in cam_mod.ini, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    yes, NewDark is compatible with ddfix overrides. you will have to set the path to the overrides in cam_mod.ini, if I remember correctly.
    Cam_mod.ini seems to deal exclusively with FMs. Vanilla missions seem to have no problem with the new sky & new water textures (which are the only ones in my ddfix directory,) though. I cannot find any instance of ddfix in any of the cfg & ini files included (the full path to the sky textures is C:\Games\Thief2\RES\ddfix\t2sky for example.) Since the missions are patched to use the new skies, it seems I would have a problem if NewDark couldn't find them.

On a different note, it seems I'm in for a renaming orgy The imbeded FM loader works better than GarrettLoader but doesn't parse out the mission name from the included txt file. Since I don't rename the zip files, I have a lot of missions with names like CAV297 (just a random example, doubt if I actually have a FM with that zip/directory name,) and such. It also doesn't like mission names longer than 30 characters, so a name like "The Book of Prophecy - Part 2 (The Hidden City)" just isn't going to work (47 characters for that particular mission.) That one will either have to become "The Book of Prophecy - Part 2" or "BoP 2 - The Hidden City". ***Sigh*** I see a lot of work ahead of me... 455 FMs across all games, and that's not counting new ones I haven't downloaded & tried yet, or the ones still sitting in my "to be tested" folder

edit - Update, if I move the T2Water & T2Skies out of the .\RES\ddfix directory, they stop getting used. So, since I cannot seem to find any instance of that path in any of the cfg & ini files, it looks like NewDark may have that path hardcoded in. Putting them elsewhere and changing the mod line(s) in cam_mod.ini to match still has them not being used. They seem to only get used if they are in the RES\ddfix directory.
    Last edited by Pheonix; 17th Oct 2012 at 17:24. Reason: further testing done

Holy cr%#%p!!

WOW! Does this patch work with the already fixed Thief.exe I got from Steam? I refixed the fixed version (I mean I updated it with the more recent ddfix etc. manually). Or should I try it out with the unfixed fixed version? Never mind, I can hardly speak right now. You know what this means, to me personally, I mean? I can play System Shock again!! (Well, it'll be easier, I think, to install). Whoever did this, a big thank you. Wow.

The patch uses its own exe. DDfix is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    edit - Update, if I move the T2Water & T2Skies out of the .\RES\ddfix directory, they stop getting used. So, since I cannot seem to find any instance of that path in any of the cfg & ini files, it looks like NewDark may have that path hardcoded in. Putting them elsewhere and changing the mod line(s) in cam_mod.ini to match still has them not being used. They seem to only get used if they are in the RES\ddfix directory.
    resname_base or mod_path should contain the path to a folder or a CRF archive with placeholder .PCX files. These files themselves contain a link to a ddfix folder, which was specified in ddfix.ini but is hardcoded to the default location in 1.19.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    Please do try ! As you may know, we've written a several online petitions to Eidos & Square Enix about the source of Thief 1&2 (our last one is there - http://www.petitiononline.com/ThiefSrc/petition.html), but have failed to receive a clear answer . I think you agree with that simple fact that this new, unofficial, patch (v1.19) of unknown origin is a good for both Eidos & GOG, because it can significally boost the Thief 1&2 sales.
    Ouch... that can't be the best letter that this community can come up with.

I did a lot of creative and technical writing in the U.S. Air Force. The petition needs a lot of "word-smithing" before it goes out. (Please tell me it hasn't gone out.)

It's vague, off-point in places, and somewhat desultory. Whatever goes out (if that is the community's desire), should be polished and a bit more elegant. That said, I'm not so sure mentioning New Dark is a wise thing to do. Square Enix Global could get real sensitive here, especially since T4 is still under development. For all we know, whoever released 1.19 may have been a disgruntled employee. There's got to be a good reason the person(s) remaining incognito.

Worst-case scenario, Square's legal department could shut us down just out of plain misunderstanding of our intentions. Not hard to do for a multi-billion-dollar global enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I did a lot of creative and technical writing in the U.S. Air Force.
    Technical writing for the Air Force I get I get, but creative? This wouldn't be anythning to do with weather balloons would it?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Technical writing for the Air Force I get I get, but creative? This wouldn't be anythning to do with weather balloons would it?
    It's a nice way of saying we had to write in such a creative fashion that it didn't come across for what it was: frikkin' lies.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Terry, were you stationed near Roswell, NM in 1947?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Uh, yes, I was hoping that would be obvious.

Right, has anyone using Darwine/Crossover/etc. tested this on Intel Macs?

That's what I meant.
    To satisfy my curiosity, I actually copied over a working "Thief Gold v1.19" installation and got it working with Winebottler about a week ago. Based on my experience, I didn't even have to bottle it into a standalone .app and could easily just run the exe right from the folder. I didn't try installing from CDs this way, but that might work all right as well.

It just worked. Worst bit was that I had to fiddle with X11 preferences and hotkeys to get a proper fullscreen mode working without any dock or menu bar clutter. I'm sorry that I don't remember the exact combination, but if you get a pure white screen or thatched gray screen when you try to go fullscreen, note that it was solvable for me.

I didn't play through more than the training mission, but it seemed quite playable. Given how hard it used to be to run this stuff on Windows anymore, I was pleasantly shocked. Managing to bottle it into its own .app file I could in theory drop into any Intel Mac and just run was almost too bizarre to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Ouch... that can't be the best letter that this community can come up with.
    Could you please tell us why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    Could you please tell us why not?
    This forum isn't the best place for this, so I'll just give you three quick points:

1. The reader's first question will be, "Why am I reading this letter?" The main point has to be in the first one or two sentences. High-powered business folk don't have a lot of time. Respect their time and be brief.

2. Be clear and focused. Going over the history of Thief, FMs, etc, is secondary.

3. Grammar and spelling errors will create a bad impression, upon which, the reader will formulate prejudicial conclusions.

This forum isn't the best place for this
    Do you mean "this topic?" I'm hope, you're aware about our "Petition" topic, so we can move there, if you want.

1. The reader's first question will be, "Why am I reading this letter?" The main point has to be in the first one or two sentences. High-powered business folk don't have a lot of time. Respect their time and be brief.
    Ok, what and how would you write these two sentences of this business letter? You see, I just don't know how exactly to express the point of the petition in the first one-two sentences, without a chance to seem a rude and ignorant person.

I haven't taffed around for a bit, and actually came here to talk about Dishonored with you guys, seeing as how I'm ghosting trough it on my first playtrough and it's delightfully thief-y.

Then I saw this and I was so excited I kept on reading and reading and giggling with glee! The improvement of Dark Engine, the increased limits, the textures, the widescreen. Everything is pure gold! Is this an ex LGS employee sending us this holy grail? Sure seems like it. But if he can do this and dub it 1.19 then it's safe to assume he has the T2 source code?

Also, my main gripe with DromEd were the poly limitations and the small window size. I've started making a FM only to discover that a single round tower for the main castle gate would eat up so many resources it'd be impossible to create the whole castle+city in one mission.

I would get back to it now, but my question is - can I design in the patched DromEd in fullscreen? Doing it in 800:600 when my monitor is a semi-pro crisp full HD is just annoying. If I can maximize the DromEd window to read the text and see what I'm doing easily I'll definitely want to leave my mark on taffer history.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    my question is - can I design in the patched DromEd in fullscreen? Doing it in 800:600 when my monitor is a semi-pro crisp full HD is just annoying. If I can maximize the DromEd window to read the text and see what I'm doing easily I'll definitely want to leave my mark on taffer history.
    You can pretty much run it at any "legal" resolution. You'll want to keep it one notch below your Windows desktop, however, or else you won't be ablt to see the menu bar.

If DromEd opens at 680x480, it means you're trying to use an illegal screen size.

Zombified
    I would get back to it now, but my question is - can I design in the patched DromEd in fullscreen? Doing it in 800:600 when my monitor is a semi-pro crisp full HD is just annoying. If I can maximize the DromEd window to read the text and see what I'm doing easily I'll definitely want to leave my mark on taffer history.
    it supports any resolution now.

I haven't taffed around for a bit, and actually came here to talk about Dishonored with you guys, seeing as how I'm ghosting trough it on my first playtrough and it's delightfully thief-y.

Then I saw this and I was so excited I kept on reading and reading and giggling with glee! The improvement of Dark Engine, the increased limits, the textures, the widescreen. Everything is pure gold! Is this an ex LGS employee sending us this holy grail? Sure seems like it. But if he can do this and dub it 1.19 then it's safe to assume he has the T2 source code?

Also, my main gripe with DromEd were the poly limitations and the small window size. I've started making a FM only to discover that a single round tower for the main castle gate would eat up so many resources it'd be impossible to create the whole castle+city in one mission.

Read back a couple pages to where I asked a similar question. I'm likewise running a full hd monitor (21") at 22-something by 1080. I've got dromed at just a smidge less than that. Plenty of screen real estate to work with but not quite full screen. I'm in the same boat as you, 1.19 was the final temptation to drag me back into thiefyness. I'm creating things with polycounts that would have been unthinkable in the "old days," and it still runs like buttah. And I'm not even that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick question on the patch! I have been replaying Thief Gold and noticed that in the Wizards Towers that the hot and cold pads in the fire tower cycle alot faster than before. You now have to jump on the table to open the chest instead of alternating pads and picking. I play normal and hard levels but I'm currently playing hard and never noticed this before. Is it a patch fix or what?

I can't make this work. When I try to start the game the screen goes gray and I can't get any response from anything. Tried Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Alt+F4, Alt+Tab, Fn+F4, also with Win-button and SysRq. The only way to recover was to push power-button until hardware would shutdown.

Tried the demo, same problem.
    Tried updating graphics driver and updating directx.
    Assuming vs 2008 runtime == vc++ 2008 redist tried repairing it.
    Problem remains.

Logfile:
    : CPU: arch=x86-64 , fam=586 , cpus=2
    : SIMD: SSE=3 , 3DNow=0
    : OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    : Desktop resolution: 1366 x 768
    : Virtual desktop resolution: 1366 x 768
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : CWD: C:\Pelit\Thief demo
    : App Version: Thief 2 Final 1.19
    : --------------------- misc config -------------------------
    : resname_base .\updates+.\res
    : load_path .\
    : script_module_path .\
    : movie_path .\updates\movies
    : mod_path updates\fam\newskies
    : install_path .\
    : game_screen_size 1024 768
    : game_screen_depth 32
    : game_screen_flags 45
    : game_full_screen 1
    : game_hardware 1
    : single_display_mode 2
    : ui_scale_mode 2
    : use_d3d_display
    : framerate_cap 100.0
    : SlowFrame 4
    : SlowFrameUI 10
    : force_32bit
    : force_32bit_textures
    : mipmap_mode 2
    : lm_mipmap_mode 0
    : lm_init_texmem 2
    : lm_filter_margin 1
    : disable_lightmap_aniso
    : tex_edge_padding 2
    : alpha_test_as_opaque
    : multisampletype 8
    : d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx
    : sfx_device 1
    : sfx_channels 12
    : sfx_vol_music 0
    : sfx_vol_2d 0
    : sfx_vol_3d 0
    : game dark
    : dark1
    : obj_min -6144
    : obj_max 2048
    : max_refs 8192
    : gui_font intrface\smalfont
    : enhanced_sky 1
    : new_mantle
    : z_far 512
    : wr_render_zcomp
    : render_weapon_particles
    : legacy_force_match_unrefs 0
    : dark_zcomp_arm
    : Enumerating D3D9 adapters (1)...
    : Adapter 0
    : device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
    : driver : igdumd32.dll
    : descr : Intel(R) HD Graphics
    : driver ver : 0x0008000F-000A0AC9
    : vendor id : 0x00008086
    : device id : 0x00000106
    : subsys id : 0x06451025
    : device guid: D7B78E66-4246-11CF-5C79-4F26A9C2
    : Modes
    : 320 x 200 x 16
    : 320 x 240 x 16
    : 400 x 300 x 16
    : 512 x 384 x 16
    : 640 x 400 x 16
    : 640 x 480 x 16
    : 800 x 600 x 16
    : 1024 x 768 x 16
    : unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 16 (not in mode table)
    : 1280 x 720 x 16
    : 1280 x 768 x 16
    : 1360 x 768 x 16
    : 1366 x 768 x 16
    : 320 x 200 x 32
    : 320 x 240 x 32
    : 400 x 300 x 32
    : 512 x 384 x 32
    : 640 x 400 x 32
    : 640 x 480 x 32
    : 800 x 600 x 32
    : 1024 x 768 x 32
    : unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 32 (not in mode table)
    : 1280 x 720 x 32
    : 1280 x 768 x 32
    : 1360 x 768 x 32
    : 1366 x 768 x 32
    : Device Validation
    : validated ok, device added (0, E390000)
    : Enumeration done
    : D3DProvider: Enumerating adapter 0 modes
    : 320 x 200 x 16
    : 320 x 240 x 16
    : 400 x 300 x 16
    : 512 x 384 x 16
    : 640 x 400 x 16
    : 640 x 480 x 16
    : 800 x 600 x 16
    : 1024 x 768 x 16
    : unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 16 (not in mode table)
    : 1280 x 720 x 16
    : 1280 x 768 x 16
    : 1360 x 768 x 16
    : 1366 x 768 x 16
    : 320 x 200 x 32
    : 320 x 240 x 32
    : 400 x 300 x 32
    : 512 x 384 x 32
    : 640 x 400 x 32
    : 640 x 480 x 32
    : 800 x 600 x 32
    : 1024 x 768 x 32
    : unsupported mode 1280 x 600 x 32 (not in mode table)
    : 1280 x 720 x 32
    : 1280 x 768 x 32
    : 1360 x 768 x 32
    : 1366 x 768 x 32
    : D3DProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 1024x768x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D)

Those resolutions look a bit weird because I have widescreen and it supports 7 resolutions altogether, natural is 1366x768 and lowest 800x600.

Edit: I'm on 64bit Win 7 with intel integrated graphics and I ran the game as admin.

Zombified
    ahh, good old intel and his broken drivers. edit cam_ext.cfg, and change
    Code:
    multisampletype 8
    into
    Code:
    ;multisampletype 8
    had the same issue on my integrated intel.

Did that, problem still remains.

Zombified
    ok, now try changing
    Code:
    use_d3d_display
    to
    Code:
    ;use_d3d_display
    that should do it (DX6 safemode). this isn't an optimus laptop, is it?

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast