TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323334353637

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

No maps in many FMs

First, my apologies if this issue has been addressed in another post. I've looked and looked but can't seem to find a post with a similar issue.

In many FMs, especially the more recent ones, there are no maps. I know there are supposed to be, and I've downloaded TP2 and updated it. I actually had to reinstall T2, and still no maps. I also upgraded to a graphics card recently and still..no maps. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys. I truly appreciate the work of the authors.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    In general there are no maps in FMs, it's not your install which is at fault. They aren't auto generated, you have to draw them by yourself, so most authors don't want to do them. To draw a clear map with just the right amount of info is quite a chore, and if the architecture is very complex it can be a nightmare.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    DrK is right. My recent NewDark update to What Lies Below has maps, so you can try loading it up to see if they work and hopefully rule out any issues with your install.

What got me suspicious was the map option being checked on the statistics tab in DarkLoader, or the obvious need for a map in the mission. For example, Drk's A Night in Rocksbourg - A New Beginning says it has a map (s). When I click the map option, it just shows the notes screen. Some of the other missions just have the empty screen.

Russ, I've been recently playing the updated WLB, and the maps view fine.

Again, not sure what the issue is. Another thing that happens is certain FM opening graphics and objectives "stick" around. When I load other FMs, I still see their opening graphics and their objectives, not the intended ones.

It's not really a big issue. It just requires more navigating most of the time, but sometimes it keeps me from being able to play a mission. I'm sure creating a map, along with the other zillion tasks that come along with making a FM, is a daunting one. I do appreciate your works, and coincidentally, my last 3 missions played have belonged to one or the other of you lol.

I have a vague memory of a 'map' of some sort being needed to prevent missions crashing. And this can be a blank page.

If you are using DarkLoader/GarrettLoader then it's recommended to reinstall the OM before playing another mission. This should avoid the problem of leftover files from other missions. Occasionally something does get left behind and there's a section in the Fan Mission FAQ which covers that.
    Clean up of files

Occasionally you will find that you'll start a new mission and run into problems. For instance, you might load one mission and when you start to play you'll see something that indicates you're going to be playing a mission other than the one you selected or you might experience crashes.

Sometimes DarkLoader or GarrettLoader fails to clean up the Thief folder while uninstalling an FM, so you might have to do it manually:

Install the original game missions and delete any remains of the following folders in your main Thief folder:

Pal
    Bitmap
    Books
    Fam
    Intrface
    Obj
    Mesh
    Strings
    Motions

but don't delete the movies, crfs or the res folder!

Next, reinstall the mission you want to play and it should load properly.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I have a vague memory of a 'map' of some sort being needed to prevent missions crashing. And this can be a blank page.
    I believe that was only an issue in T1 missions (and OldDark obviously), and was never needed in T2 fan missions.

I just checked Rocksbourg 1/2, and only 2 has maps, not 1.

Phew! Not a completely false memory, then.

Maps can be in png format now (or dds to save space), so there's no longer the palette limitation to contend with. People should draw more maps. It is harder to set up a full automap (i.e. with location highlighting), but a basic map showing the layout is not hard at all.

It will be cool if anyone can create new version of ThiefMapper which support .dds and .png files

I've written a program that works with png images, but I don't think anyone offered to test it. Even people who expressed an interest didn't actually offer, so the program remains on my hard disk.

Now i don't make map/automap because i am always in the dromed-building map step, but if there is anyone i can test this.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323334353637