TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621263136 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

It worked great for me, but first I got an error message saying I needed the d3dx9_43.dll file (which I downloaded here) It's fine now

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    It worked great for me, but first I got an error message saying I needed the d3dx9_43.dll file (which I downloaded here) It's fine now
    It's much better to get the DX redist from microsoft's website directly; you shouldn't necessarily trust random DLLs on the internet.

Wow! This has made my month! I'm off to try some Fan Missions, but the screenshots so far look amazing!

I wasn't expecting anything like this. Thank you, mystery coder.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    My Olde Castle in 1.19:
    http://www.wearytaffer.com/screens/toc/Castle3k.png

Managed to break the 3k poly barrier.
    OMG

This Update is unbelievable!!!

I will test it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    My Olde Castle in 1.19:
    http://www.wearytaffer.com/screens/toc/Castle3k.png

Managed to break the 3k poly barrier.
    Just awesome Yandros

Oh my god, this is so sweet.

That Yandros screenie shows 3043 polygons and it's still running at an impressive 57 fps. Wow!!

Archivist
    Quote Originally Posted by TTLG
    Most users ever online was 891, 26th Sep 2012 at 12:10
    Quote Originally Posted by TTLG
    Most users ever online was 970, 26th Sep 2012 at 12:16
    Nuff' said What a revival/attention.

Such a glorious day for the community! I donīt know how this mystery designer did it, but the list of improvements/fixes is incredible !

Thank you!!

Apart from general amazement, my first question is "How?"
    I'm behind on all the leaks and reverse engineering going on, but isn't this even far beyond what anyone was hoping to do short of the full annotated source code appearing?
    Or was it finally dug up and I missed it?

Downloaded this new patch and MAN what a noticable improvement

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    1.19 notes:I'm having issues with the videos not playing. Might be my system.
    Someone else in this thread also had this issue. IIRC the problem was that they hadn't extracted the folder containing the ffmpeg DLL.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 26th Sep 2012 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Upon playing Mission X for a little while I have noticed a few hickups.
    1) Some objects turn invisible or are missing parts of textures in the inventory. One of the loot bracelets was invisible when hanging inside a locker, and continued to be invisible in the inventory. Similarly, the compass is missing parts in the inventory.
    2) The biggest and most reliable bug however was the light gem. If bright red, sometimes the entire gem would turn black. The indicator to the right was still red, but the rest of the gem was pitch black. This has happened in multiple areas and seems to occur more often if crouching. Has anyone else seen this?
    Maybe this is the solution (from "troubleshooting"):
    Code:
    Problem:
        Some object textures are invisible (on some ATI/AMD video cards).
    Cause:
        Adaptive multi-sample anti-aliasing.
    Solutions:
        * Go into Catalyst Control Center and set "Anti-Aliasing Mode" to
          any setting that is NOT "Adaptive Multi-sample AA".
        * Disable multi-sampling ("multisampletype").

I'm having a good deal of misfortune getting this patch to work with Thief Gold. I've followed the installation instructions, checked out the readme in the /docs/t1.zip directory, changed the game running to read 'dark1' exclusively (sans apostrophes), and still, no dice. The game boots, and crashes immediately. I've looked for ; enable Thief 1 compatibility in cam_ext.cfg and found no such line. I'm at quite a wall here with no clue what solutions to try.

Anyone care to treat me like an idiot and give me a step-by-step setup for a fresh install? If it's of any assistance, I am running a GoG copy on WinXP.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Apart from general amazement, my first question is "How?"
    I'm behind on all the leaks and reverse engineering going on, but isn't this even far beyond what anyone was hoping to do short of the full annotated source code appearing?
    Or was it finally dug up and I missed it?
    The source code did appear. It was huge news.

It wasn't an official release by Eidos/EA, though, it was (IIRC) someone finding a CD containing a half-finished Dreamcast port of Thief 2 (with most of the code for SS2 still intact, since T2 uses a later version of the same engine) in a box of LGS memorabilia. So there was a lot of concern over Eidos/EA handing out cease-and-desist letters or lawsuits if anyone tried to actually do anything with it. I don't recall if they actually did or not in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog View Post
    The source code did appear. It was huge news.

It wasn't an official release by Eidos/EA, though, it was (IIRC) someone finding a CD containing a half-finished Dreamcast port of Thief 2 (with most of the code for SS2 still intact, since T2 uses a later version of the same engine) in a box of LGS memorabilia. So there was a lot of concern over Eidos/EA handing out cease-and-desist letters or lawsuits if anyone tried to actually do anything with it. I don't recall if they actually did or not in the end.

Yeah, it was some guy who bought a Playstation dev kit off of Ebay years ago and never bothered to look at the discs that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by retractingblinds View Post
    I'm having a good deal of misfortune getting this patch to work with Thief Gold. I've followed the installation instructions, checked out the readme in the /docs/t1.zip directory, changed the game running to read 'dark1' exclusively (sans apostrophes), and still, no dice. The game boots, and crashes immediately. I've looked for ; enable Thief 1 compatibility in cam_ext.cfg and found no such line. I'm at quite a wall here with no clue what solutions to try.

Anyone care to treat me like an idiot and give me a step-by-step setup for a fresh install? If it's of any assistance, I am running a GoG copy on WinXP.
    There's no "; enable Thief 1 compatibility" line because you can add that yourself...it's just a comment, the game doesn't care. I don't know why you keep changing 'game dark' to 'game dark1', that's not what you're meant to do and people are specifically telling you not to do it.

Step by step instructions, assuming you're starting with a clean GOG install of TG. Hopefully these are clear enough.

(1) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR CAM.CFG. DO NOT CHANGE THE 'game' LINE. IT SHOULD CONTAIN 'game dark' WHEN YOU INSTALL IT AND STILL CONTAIN THAT WHEN YOU START IT. DO NOT TOUCH CAM.CFG.
    (2) Unpack the Thief 2 1.19 patch to get the contrib.zip and new_dark.zip files.
    (3) Unpack both of those files into your Thief directory. Overwrite existing files if necessary.
    (4) Create a directory in your Thief directory named "patch", if one does not already exist.
    (5) Open the file doc/T1.7z. Unpack the file INTRFACE.CRF from that archive to the patch/ directory you just created. patch/ should now contain the single file INTRFACE.CRF.
    (6) Open cam_ext.cfg in notepad. On a line by itself, add the single word 'dark1'. DO NOT PUT 'game' IN FRONT OF IT. DO NOT EDIT CAM.CFG. JUST PUT 'dark1' ON A LINE BY ITSELF SOMEWHERE IN cam_ext.cfg. THAT IS ALL.
    (7) Optionally, edit other settings in cam_ext.cfg to enable things like bloom.
    (8) Run Thief2.exe, NOT Thief.exe, to play.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Yeah, it was some guy who bought a Playstation dev kit off of Ebay years ago and never bothered to look at the discs that came with it.
    Dreamcast.

Looks like ATI/AMD should patch its graphics driver soon .
    BTW, did anybody run this patch on a non-nVidia&ATI graphics hardware: I mean integrated graphics from Intel and rare nowadays S3/VIA? I wonder how smooth and correct the game works on them. According to the Steam statistics, Intel graphics is getting bigger share for a few last years, and that's why I'd like to know what notebook (actually, what graphics in it) I should buy in order to play Thief 2 with no problem. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    It's working. I thought this patch was just a someone's joke, but it's REALLY working !
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Yep...I can confirm that.

PRAISE THE BUILDER, IT'S ACTUALLY WORKING...LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!!!...
    Well, I will check it out later, but I trust you guys. SO, ALRIGHTY THEN! Thanks to mystery coder we can say FINALLY!!!
    BUILDER BLESSED US!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

In Game Load Screen

I ran into a problem ; after loading a previous save in the vanilla game; the in games load screen resolution is smaller; 1024 x 720; while in game is 1920x1080. I've poked around in cam.cfg and can't seem to find out the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    And after all the initial reactions I had a few minutes ago are coming down to me downloading the Thief 2 demo. Shall I be the one to confirm that 1.19 works on wine/crossover? I guess so...
    Yup, another user confirming it works on Wine, using Ubuntu 12.04. I just happened to make a switch for work related reasons, and here this comes, and I'm running Thief 2 at my monitor's native resolution. This makes me a lot more happy than I should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog View Post
    There's no "; enable Thief 1 compatibility" line because you can add that yourself...it's just a comment, the game doesn't care. I don't know why you keep changing 'game dark' to 'game dark1', that's not what you're meant to do and people are specifically telling you not to do it.

Step by step instructions, assuming you're starting with a clean GOG install of TG. Hopefully these are clear enough.

(1) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR CAM.CFG. DO NOT CHANGE THE 'game' LINE. IT SHOULD CONTAIN 'game dark' WHEN YOU INSTALL IT AND STILL CONTAIN THAT WHEN YOU START IT. DO NOT TOUCH CAM.CFG.
    (2) Unpack the Thief 2 1.19 patch to get the contrib.zip and new_dark.zip files.
    (3) Unpack both of those files into your Thief directory. Overwrite existing files if necessary.
    (4) Create a directory in your Thief directory named "patch", if one does not already exist.
    (5) Open the file doc/T1.7z. Unpack the file INTRFACE.CRF from that archive to the patch/ directory you just created. patch/ should now contain the single file INTRFACE.CRF.
    (6) Open cam_ext.cfg in notepad. On a line by itself, add the single word 'dark1'. DO NOT PUT 'game' IN FRONT OF IT. DO NOT EDIT CAM.CFG. JUST PUT 'dark1' ON A LINE BY ITSELF SOMEWHERE IN cam_ext.cfg. THAT IS ALL.
    (7) Optionally, edit other settings in cam_ext.cfg to enable things like bloom.
    (8) Run Thief2.exe, NOT Thief.exe, to play.
    I can confirm this, GOG version works fine so long as

a) "dark1" is added on a line by itself
    b) the INTRFACE.CRF is copied over
    c) Thief 2 is run as admin ( otherwise you can't save games/settings )

Then you can play with the new settings. Like FOV = 170:

ZylonBane
    There's some buried gold in the new cam_ext.cfg file. I found a "d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay" setting that lets you set the HUD overlay to any "virtual" resolution you want. So now you can set the game to modern resolutions without having to bust out a magnifying glass to read the HUD text.

Here's an example from SS2:

Also, screenshots now go into a "screenshots" folder. And the PrintScreen key actually works for taking them. Neat!
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 26th Sep 2012 at 09:14.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiz View Post
    Then you can play with the new settings. Like FOV = 170
    I've no time at the moment to give this patch a shot but that's excellent (Useless, but excellent!).

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621263136 ... LastLast