TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: System Shock 2.4 and Thief 2 1.19

"Hold on 'becca! I'll be there soon! Luv, Tommy"

SShock2.com

No idea of what happened before, but a clean install of SS2 solved my problem with Rebirth.
    And now I even have the cutscenes back, which was a problem that I could never solve, even with all the help that Kolya tried to provide \o/

Now time to install Thief Gold and Thief II.

ZylonBane
    Dammit, this "unofficial" patch has now made me "officially" call in sick to work.

*shakes fist at mystery new Dark developer(s)*

The graphics seem to have been updated, is it just SHTUP/Rebirth or did the modder create his own work for it?

This is crazy. Out of nowhere

Just reinstalled and works like a charm, also for anyone using steam grid view to launch the game here is a custom grid i made see you all after another go at the game that keeps on giving.

OMG it works beautifully! Intros play, menu shows up, no more flickering, EAX works with OpenAL, 48 sound channels, no more resolution switching going from menu to in game....just wow!
    Who is this person I want to throw some money at his face!!!!

EDIT: Is it possible the mystery dev is a former LGS employee with their hands on the source code and don't want it known? /conspiracy

ZylonBane
    I just discovered that the mouse wheel now works for scrolling emails/logs/research/etc. I'm always reflexively trying to do that, but of course it never works... until now!

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    OMG it works beautifully! Intros play, menu shows up, no more flickering, EAX works with OpenAL, 48 sound channels, no more resolution switching going from menu to in game....just wow!
    Who is this person I want to throw some money at his face!!!!

EDIT: Is it possible the mystery dev is a former LGS employee with their hands on the source code and don't want it known? /conspiracy
    The source code for an unfinished Dreamcast port of Thief 2 (including most/all of the PC Thief 2 and System Shock 2 code) was discovered/leaked a while ago and put up on a bunch of public download sites, so if it's based on that, it could be anyone at all.

I can't imagine it's not, given all the fundamental changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I just discovered that the mouse wheel now works for scrolling emails/logs/research/etc. I'm always reflexively trying to do that, but of course it never works... until now!
    I know, that's really nice...along with the ease of weapon-switching...Adjustable HUD text is also welcome...

I've only been playing for a couple of hours, but so far I'm loving it...everything is running beautifully!

This is going to be an all-nighter...

After having seen the patch yesterday and how in-depth the fixes were I'm rather sure he used the source code to create the fix.

As such I think he took the right approach. I think it unwise to ever admit that's what was done.

Absolutely...Their identity should always remain anonymous, and talk of the source code should always remain officially speculative, regardless of internal logical deduction.

This will provide an unbreakable community shield of protection...as the process is repeated in the future.

Holy crap!

The patch is marvellous but it has a big issue for me: now itís imposible set the keys in order to walk by default.

I'm trying to use SHTUP with SS2 Mod manager as usual, but now it does not work. Mod Manager doesn't execute SS2 neither activate SHTUP mod. It worked before the patch.

SShock2.com

I don't know what you mean... I can clearly see an option to set the key to walk forward and another key to run forward.
    Attached Thumbnails dump000.png  

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slamelov View Post
    I'm trying to use SHTUP with SS2 Mod manager as usual, but now it does not work. Mod Manager doesn't execute SS2 neither activate SHTUP mod. It worked before the patch.
    No need to use Mod Manager. All you need is to unpack the files into your SS2 install folder, as long as SS2 is mod-ready, and SHTUP will work.

This is what I want:

w = Walk
    shift+w = run
    Ctrl+w = slow walk

I can do that just before the patch but not now. If I set "w" for "walk" the real result is "slow walk".
    Last edited by RobinG; 27th Sep 2012 at 15:27.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    No need to use Mod Manager. All you need is to unpack the files into your SS2 install folder, as long as SS2 is mod-ready, and SHTUP will work.
    Yes, I know, but I always prefer to use mod manager.

Now works... after rebooting the system.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobinG View Post
    That's what I want:

w = Walk
    shift+w = run
    Ctrl+w = slow walk

I can do that just before the patch but not now. If I set "w" for "walk" the real result is "slow walk".
    I see what you mean. I never use walk in SS2, so I didn't notice it. What this means is that we actually have four different speeds: Run, walk (shift + run), slow walk, and REALLY slow walk (when you use shift + slow walk).

What a pity! I love walk by default ("w" key only), otherwise it's a little incomfortable for me and I lose a big part of immersion.

I only find two keys:

Run forward (first one)
    Walk forward (second one).

And there is the toggle speed key.

So, I use W for walking and SHIFT+W for running. Where is the other key for low speed?. I can find that key in Thief, but not SS2.

And I have tested that in another copy of SS2 installed in a computer with W98. Only original patch installed.

Awesome! Everything is smooth.

First time i years I've been able to see the intro! YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamelov View Post
    I only find two keys:
    And there is the toggle speed key.
    "Speed toggle" key doesn't work. Actually it's a hold key. And "Walk forward" key actually it's the "creep" or "slide" key. Maybe those are fuzzy errors, but remain errors ultimately.

Why is Thief getting all the attention?

As someone asked in another forum, why is Thief, well, Thief 1/Gold/2 getting all the attention? They are very good games indeed, but I think that System Shock 2 is so much better. Mind you, I so rarely see SS2 (or SS1) being discussed that I suppose it's not surprising that the SS2-related side of the amazing discovery is being so largely ignored.

Anyway, the SS2 version of the patch is discussed at http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4128.0 (a very good sight for System Shock 1 and 2 files and discussions).

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    As someone asked in another forum, why is Thief, well, Thief 1/Gold/2 getting all the attention?
    I've been following various other forums discussing these patches, and there seems to be overall more discussion of SS2 than of Thief.