TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: System Shock 2.4 and Thief 2 1.19

Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    As someone asked in another forum, why is Thief, well, Thief 1/Gold/2 getting all the attention?
    Because most of the people who still post regularly on TTLG are Thief fans. The System Shock community here seems to have either moved to systemshock.org or just vanished entirely.

SS2 is still getting a fair amount of discussion on other sites.

Administrator
    I would also suspect that a lot of it here is due to the fan mission community. There are loads of things in the patch notes that seem to help editors and unfortunately there just aren't as many people here who create fan missions for SS2 (to put it mildly). Optimistically it might encourage people to create missions for SS2 - I know I was put off last time I tried shocked.

My thoughts exactly.

I'll add that the THIEF series also has a more developed universe, which inspires a lot of people to develop from it.

I would say this is the ideal time to start thinking about a a mini-series, or even a campaign (SS 2.5/3)...The campaign could even be separated into larger episodic chucks, if need be. Now, one might think that this is an overly-ambitious idea, and you'd probably be right, that is, up until now...If you consider the spike in enthusiasm, due to the newly revealed technical and artistic possibilities, and take into account the practical aspect of development now being easier and faster in comparison, this sheds a whole new 32-bit light on the matter...

Ideally, there needs to be a flagship to lead the way forward...and this would surely ignite the booster rockets of the System Shock FM community.

Use the speed toggle bind. When pressed walk becomes run an? vice versa.

Not all of the System Shock fans have left. Yes the vast majority have left, but not all of us. I quite regularly lurk around here. Even if it's these days just reading the annoying posts by Ironix.

I'd love to finish off my 2nd FM one day. Problem is that compared to back when I released my first one (2004 I think) I used to make levels in my spare time, where as now I make full blown games in my spare time.

I still have what was done of it on my PC. Was/is a completely weaponless FM. Pure sneaking and hackery.

Works well with all my existing mods:

SHTUP
    SHMUP
    Rebirth
    Vurt's mods (flora, water, and high-res space)
    even ADaOB (may have some conflicts, but I am mostly interested in the SHEMP textures)

Not that I'm bitching about the patch, I love it and think it was badly needed but it's a shame that something wasn't done about the Multiplayer aspect. It's not any easier to get it going and I'm itching to get 3 other of my friends to play this.

SShock2.com

I never had many problems with MP. Maybe I was just lucky.

Possible bug. The broken use issue seems to be fixed EXCEPT for med hypos. I can't seem to use them. Weird.

edit: I can use other types of hypos......

Ive just been testing it out over the laptop and a lot of character animations are broken in Multiplayer now.

Firing the pistol will play some kind of 'being hit' animation, overloading the psy-blast will now make the character do the macarena, using the Cyber Affinity will make the character fall over as if he just overloaded his shot.

Hoping that gets fixed in 2.5, if there is a 2.5

Zombified
    hmm.. fired up the multiplayer, and it seems to work ok on the first glance. make sure both machines have identical set of mods installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanderat View Post
    Possible bug. The broken use issue seems to be fixed EXCEPT for med hypos. I can't seem to use them. Weird.

edit: I can use other types of hypos......
    just tried, and all hypos work ok no matter what I do. try making a new, clean install of SS2 using this method (the new ss2tool4.0 already uses NewDark). see whether the problem persists.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Not that I'm bitching about the patch, I love it and think it was badly needed but it's a shame that something wasn't done about the Multiplayer aspect. It's not any easier to get it going and I'm itching to get 3 other of my friends to play this.
    Then just tell them to play it. ALONE.

Reinstalled using the newest SS2Tool (4.0) and problem is solved.
    Last edited by Zanderat; 28th Sep 2012 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Ive just been testing it out over the laptop and a lot of character animations are broken in Multiplayer now.

Firing the pistol will play some kind of 'being hit' animation, overloading the psy-blast will now make the character do the macarena, using the Cyber Affinity will make the character fall over as if he just overloaded his shot.

Hoping that gets fixed in 2.5, if there is a 2.5
    I'd note that said bug existed in 2.3 as well. The netcode of the game has some issues.

Only time will tell if the .exe continues to evolve and whether such things will be overhauled.

From the ThiefGen forum...

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    HOLY CRAP, Le Corbeau connected back on Ariane4ever !!!!

He posted this (roughly translated) :

The Raven is the messenger. From his perch, he watches the shadows who found themselves back.

DromEd.exe @ 0x14A701 change 02 to 01
    ShockEd.exe @ 0x18EC11 change 02 to 01

What would it do ?

http://ariane4ever.free.fr/ariane4ev...=4287&start=45

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Wut?

The "Thief Series General Discussion" forum...here at TTLG.

Wow, awesome. This is legendary! Gotta check this out.

But, among other things:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon
    "overloading the psy-blast will now make the character do the macarena"
    Why is this a bad thing?

And they've figured out what this does: it fixes the issue with shadows not being properly cast by sunlight.

Yep...and so far, that was the only major bug found...now eliminated...

"The Raven is the messenger. From his perch, he watches the shadows who found themselves back."

The purpose was hidden in this message.

It sucks that I'm short on cash whenever I feel the desire to get System Shock 2, this time being no exception. At least the demo with the new patch gave me a chance to see if I'd love playing the game, and sure enough, yes I will.

Just one thing that struck me from that 2.4 demo was the cutscene that plays when the player is waking up from cryo. For one, it was widescreen instead of 4:3, and then, the player character model was more detailed. All these fixes and improvements to the game, and one of those are redone cutscenes that match up with the graphics mods that were applied. Talk about extra effort.

Again, it sucks I don't have the money to get the game when I so clearly want it, and it doesn't help that there are other games coming out now wanting for my attention. But hey, at least there's a demo for me to play.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I've been following various other forums discussing these patches, and there seems to be overall more discussion of SS2 than of Thief.
    Oh right. I'd be interested to visit other SS/SS2 forums, as the only ones I know of are here, systemshock.org, and gamefaqs.com. What other good SS and/or SS2 forums are there please?

I only started playing System Shock a couple of weeks back (though I've been a huge fan of SS2 since it came out) - I never played SS back in the day, and the strange controls put me off, until I discovered System Shock Portable, which adds full mouse-look and re-definable keys, and I have to say that SS is fantastic, and really was *way* ahead of it's time. And thanks to DOSBox, there's none of the complex memory configurations SS is so infamous for demanding.

Vae, I too would love a fan-made System Shock 2.5 or SS3, especially if it were up to the standards of Thief2x. I'd say that I'd love to see an official SS3 release, but I imagine that nowdays it would be dumbed down so much that it wouldn't be a SS shock game at all, except in name and (a few) references. Look at Bioshock - I love Bioshock and Bioshock 2, don't get me wrong they are two of my favourite games of this generation, maybe of all time, but they were so dumbed down that they didn't believe the *shock name. The world B1 and B2 shows us is so immensely atmospheric and detailed, that it's wasted on a 'mere' first person shooter (and I say that as someone who's favourite genre is the FPS). If Bioshock had had the same atmosphere and amazingly well done graphics and sound that it has now, with the levels and characters and weapons, etc, but had System Shock 2's depth of gameplay, including genuinely important RPG stats, real and intelligent story branching, and plot driven reasons to explore Rapture (Bioshock's city) then it might well have been the best game ever made. Instead they took this amazing world and filled it with a (too easy) first person shooter. Still a great game, but it could have been a defining game, one of the very few true milestones in gaming history.

Fantastic News!
    I am excited!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    Oh right. I'd be interested to visit other SS/SS2 forums, as the only ones I know of are here, systemshock.org, and gamefaqs.com.
    I didn't say other System Shock forums. I just said other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ArclightBorealis View Post
    Just one thing that struck me from that 2.4 demo was the cutscene that plays when the player is waking up from cryo. For one, it was widescreen instead of 4:3, and then, the player character model was more detailed. All these fixes and improvements to the game, and one of those are redone cutscenes that match up with the graphics mods that were applied. Talk about extra effort.
    Actually, that's not at all the case - the cutscenes haven't been changed. What has changed is how they're played.

SS2's cutscenes were always widescreen (16:9); however, at the time SS2 was made, most people had 4:3 monitors, so the cutscenes were actually saved as 4:3 with letterboxing. 2.4 adds a "crop cutscenes" option that de-letterboxes them on the fly, meaning that on 16:10 monitors they'll fill the full screen width and the letterboxing will be greatly reduced, and on 16:9 monitors they'll fill the screen perfectly.

There's been no added detail, either, but the new decoder and scaler are much improved compared to the old one, which means less blurryness and artifacting. So you're better able to see the detail that's already there.

It would be nice to have fully re-rendered cutscenes with high-res models and textures, though. I wonder if the source leak included the scripts and levels the cutscenes were originally generated from as well?