TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: System Shock 2.4 and Thief 2 1.19

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog View Post
    Actually, that's not at all the case - the cutscenes haven't been changed. What has changed is how they're played.

SS2's cutscenes were always widescreen (16:9); however, at the time SS2 was made, most people had 4:3 monitors, so the cutscenes were actually saved as 4:3 with letterboxing. 2.4 adds a "crop cutscenes" option that de-letterboxes them on the fly, meaning that on 16:10 monitors they'll fill the full screen width and the letterboxing will be greatly reduced, and on 16:9 monitors they'll fill the screen perfectly.

There's been no added detail, either, but the new decoder and scaler are much improved compared to the old one, which means less blurryness and artifacting. So you're better able to see the detail that's already there.

It would be nice to have fully re-rendered cutscenes with high-res models and textures, though. I wonder if the source leak included the scripts and levels the cutscenes were originally generated from as well?
    Yeah, you're right about them being widescreen to begin with, just checked the original cutscene. But weird, the one I saw in the demo I thought for sure was different, at least the model for the player (didn't look as thin as the original model, more like the Rebirth version). Damn, I should probably check again so I don't drive myself crazy or something.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog View Post
    SS2's cutscenes were always widescreen (16:9)
    The active region of SS2's cutscenes is 640x342, which is 1.87:1 aspect ratio. 16:9 is 1.77:1. This aspect ratio is very close to the typical cinematic widescreen ratio of 1.85:1.

So even on a 16:9 monitor, there will be some letterboxing.

@ArclightBorealis:

I've not tried any of the demos that were released to showcase the new patches, but I've read they were enhanced with all the graphical mods the community has released over the years, like better water for Thief, or the SHTUP textures. So I'm betting the "upgraded cinematic" you are seeing is Muzman's Cutscene Rebirth.

Ah, so that's what it was. Thanks for the clarification.

SShock2.com

By the way, did Muzman ever complete any other cutscene besides cs2?

Zombified
    no, I don't think he did.

SShock2.com

I remember that he had first shown us an excerpt of cs1, so I thought he could have finished that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    Vae, I too would love a fan-made System Shock 2.5 or SS3, especially if it were up to the standards of Thief2x. I'd say that I'd love to see an official SS3 release, but I imagine that nowdays it would be dumbed down so much that it wouldn't be a SS shock game at all, except in name and (a few) references. Look at Bioshock - I love Bioshock and Bioshock 2, don't get me wrong they are two of my favourite games of this generation, maybe of all time, but they were so dumbed down that they didn't believe the *shock name. The world B1 and B2 shows us is so immensely atmospheric and detailed, that it's wasted on a 'mere' first person shooter (and I say that as someone who's favourite genre is the FPS). If Bioshock had had the same atmosphere and amazingly well done graphics and sound that it has now, with the levels and characters and weapons, etc, but had System Shock 2's depth of gameplay, including genuinely important RPG stats, real and intelligent story branching, and plot driven reasons to explore Rapture (Bioshock's city) then it might well have been the best game ever made. Instead they took this amazing world and filled it with a (too easy) first person shooter. Still a great game, but it could have been a defining game, one of the very few true milestones in gaming history.
    Exactly true...Ironically, a well designed unofficial SS2x or SS3 would probably end up being superior to that of an official release. This is because there wouldn't be a need to compromise depth and intelligent design, in order to appease the kidz and the mentally challenged...It would be a pure and unadulterated inspiration, and one that would likely express the quintessential System Shock Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    no, I don't think he did.
    You know, voodoo, it would be nice to see a "SSFix" with v2.4 and other built-in enhancement options (like SHTUP)...You really should jump on this before DJ decides to steal the show with "HackerPatcher"...

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    You know, voodoo, it would be nice to see a "SSFix" with v2.4 and other built-in enhancement options (like SHTUP)...You really should jump on this before DJ decides to steal the show with "HackerPatcher"...
    SS2Tool is kind of like this, but I don't think it automatically installs enhancements, just patches.

Zombified
    fixing up SS2 is not a job for one man. we'll see.

ZylonBane
    There has been some discussion over at SMA of creating a "System Shock 2 HD" uber-mod package, to save SS2 newbies the bother of having to research which mods to start with. Recent events though have considerably raised the bar regarding the creation of such a package. For starters, might be time to revisit/reimagine ADaOB (and maybe finally give it a less finger-twisting name). I need to update SHTUP to take advantage of the cool new material features, and also SHEMP (the monitor texture project), now that higher-res terrain textures can be dropped in without having to modify the MIS files.

Question:

Can anyone tell me where to find the mod for the pistol seen in the beta that was delivered with the patch? I can't find one like exactly like it anywhere. Maybe I just don't know where to look?

I really like it and want to include it in my install of SS2 but I don't know where to find it or how to extract it from the beta like I did with the altered cs2.

Zombified
    you mean the one in the NewDark SS2 demo? that should be just the plain old tacticool version.

Silly question, but has anyone seen head movement in SS2, like what we now have in T2? I don't play it enough to notice...

Halfway through a play through with the new patch. On deck 4 now and zero issues. Loving the new graphical features! Freakin incredible patch, dude!!

This is what I want:

w = Walk
    shift+w = run
    Ctrl+w = slow walk

I can do that just before the patch but not now. If I set "w" for "walk" the real result is "slow walk".
    Only way I can see to walk is

w = Run
    Toggle Speed Key (should be called Hold Speed Key cause it doesn't toggle) = Shift

Then holding down W and Shift gives the right walk speed.

The Toggle Speed Key cuts the speed so you can't set it

w - Walk
    Toggle Speed Run = Shift

Cause then holding down W and Shift makes it creep speed instead of Walk speed.

I would prefer W for walk and Shift plus W for run but at least the other way around still gives me walk.

WOW, this is awesome! Thank you very much!!! I've just started replaying the game, had problems with resolution, cutscenes, crashing and all, and I've got to find this, and it solved ALMOST ALL my problems. I got the game working in 1920x1080x32 on Ubuntu Linux, and this is hell awesome.

I see Kolya's Bittorrent package is not seeded well (I only encountered ~5 low-bandwidth seeders and it took ~10-20 minutes to download), so I set up a high-bandwidth server for seed, therefore future leechers are supposed to get the package much quicker. This is the minimum I can do in return to the favour of this awesome package!

Now I have some questions, I hope I ask them in the right place:

• Do I still need to start the game with setting the process affinity to 1 CPU to avoid crashes, or does this patch take care of that too?
    • Actually, it seems I managed to enhance SS2 so much that now my video card is too weak for it. My FPS is quite low and sometimes some MFD textures don't appear (I see plain white areas there). Maybe removing SHTUP will help, but eventually I should get a better video card, I think, because the integrated Intel card is really not so cool. Or do you have a better idea for how to improve experience on an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 card?

Zombified
    -no need to set anything manually
    -lowering the resolution should help. white textures should disappear after entering the menu and returning to the game. a dedicated card would help tremendously, intel is really not meant for gaming.

Wow.. this is absolutely amazing. No hiccups at all yet. I'm playing at 2560x1440 (16:9) on my Dell u2711 monitor. What a great patch!!

OpenAL 5.1 enabled, the surround sound utilizing all my speakers is just as engaging as I remember it.

Just amazing, amazing. And many thanks to whoever gave this to the world.

hydroponics:sector A door wont open

Helo Everybody.
    I playin system shock 2 many times and my opinion its greatest game in the world (and quake 1 )
    I have one problem : level hydroponics, sector A, both door to this sector wont open and on the map i dont see rest of the level...
    I have 3 mods : SHTUP beta 6,DFB's sound upgradev3b, Anomalies,discrepancies and outright bugs beta 0.2.7.
    Any solutions?
    Thanx for any advice
    ...and screenshot : http://i.imgur.com/pEGmF.jpg

Zombified
    try the other door a bit further to the right ah, they both won't open. strange bug, as those really should open. maybe try going back through the bulkhead and returning. or loading an older save made before entering the sector.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 9th Dec 2012 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    I have one problem : level hydroponics, sector A, both door to this sector wont open and on the map i dont see rest of the level...
    That you can't see the rest of the level on the map is completely normal: you may only see the area you've already explored... unless you chose the appropriate upgrade at an OS upgrade station...

But that neither of the doors open, that's strange. I'm exactly at that point of the game too, and the doors open for me.

huh,unfortunately back to the bulkhead does not solve the problem...im overwriting save...only one save (habit from other games).
    Its only two doors to the rest of the level...both closed (but I hear that there's something going on behind them)
    ...can anyone know the code to walk through the walls, like noclip...
    Last edited by marek; 9th Dec 2012 at 15:12.

huh,unfortunately back to the bulkhead does not solve the problem...im overwriting save...only one save (habit from other games).
    This is a REALLY bad habit. Always have a bunchload of saves - better to have them and not using them than not to have them and needing them. Anyway, for me it's pretty rare that I load a save which is not the latest one... but it can happen...

Its only two doors to the rest of the level...both closed (but I hear that there's something going on behind them)
    ...can anyone know the code to walk through the walls, like noclip...
    Noclip... Half-Life high fives?