TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Built-in FM loader in Thief version 1.19 and beyond

Yes, you need to unzip it into your Thief 2 folder.

Success! Thank you.

Hi again, it's been a few years since I've been back to TTLG or Thief FMs...
    I'm trying to get FMs to run on a new computer, and when I try to point FMsel to the FM directory it doesn't want to accept a folder (wanting a zip or rar file). When I click a zip in the folder it gives an error reading "The archive path may not be inside the FM path, or vice versa."
    How do I get it to accept the FMs folder and see the contents?

"FMs" is for missions that are currently installed. The archives have to be stored in some other folder.

On a related note, you might want to give NewDarkLoader a go. It mostly looks like Darkloader but works like FMSel.

Having a weird issue with FM select. Installed T2 on a surface pro 4, i7 core, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 vid. Windows 10 pro, and got this to work ok with Brethren's help with the video. So anyways, I loaded nobles and craftsmen OK, first run. Exited T2. Went back in. Now the little indicator next to the mission name is grayed out. When I double click to start, window disappears and T2 does not run. It seems that something is lost in translation or something. Anybody know what might be going on? Thanks for any help. (Edit: T2 works OK if I don't try to use FM select)

I also notice that the FM name is red.

Zombified
    screenshot?

How do I upload an image? Or can you PM me and ill email it to you?

Zombified
    drop it on imgur or similar and link it.

ok, this is it.
    Last edited by rustmite; 23rd Dec 2016 at 18:34.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by troubleshooting.txt
    Problem:
    Game crashes after clicking any of the Skip/Play FM buttons in FM Selector.
    (on Windows 10 in particular)
    Solution:
    * Try enabling "no_unload_fmsel" in "cam_mod.ini".
    try that.

That did it. Your a genius. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    OK, so it seems you need a specific .dll in your Thief 2 installation directory in order to convert mp3s to .wav format for any missions that use them. For some reason it is not included in the patch package due to copyright issues (which seems strange to me, considering this is an anonymous, unofficial patch released to the public under cover of darkness with a hacked .exe but hey, what do I know). The file you need is libmp3lame.dll, and it needs to go into your Thief 2 installation directory.
    Is it time to revisit this in New Dark v1.26?

MP3 Free At Last

Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS

On April 23, 2017, Technicolor's mp3 licensing program for certain mp3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated.

We thank all of our licensees for their great support in making mp3 the defacto audio codec in the world, during the past two decades.

The development of mp3 started in the late 80s at Fraunhofer IIS, based on previous development results at the University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Although there are more efficient audio codecs with advanced features available today, mp3 is still very popular amongst consumers. However, most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future MPEG-H. Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to mp3.
    When do the MP3 patents expire?

A BIG LIST OF MP3 PATENTS (AND SUPPOSED EXPIRATION DATES)

Wikipedia

In the United States, the technology became substantially patent-free on 16 April 2017 (see below).

An exception is the United States, where patents filed prior to 8 June 1995 expire 17 years after the publication date of the patent, but application extensions make it possible for a patent to issue much later than normally expected (see submarine patents). The various MP3-related patents expire on dates ranging from 2007 to 2017 in the United States[70] Patents filed for anything disclosed in ISO CD 11172 a year or more after its publication are questionable. If only the known MP3 patents filed by December 1992 are considered, then MP3 decoding has been patent-free in the US since 22 September 2015 when U.S. Patent 5,812,672 expired which had a PCT filing in October 1992.[71][72][73] If the longest-running patent mentioned in the aforementioned references is taken as a measure, then the MP3 technology became patent-free in the United States on 16 April 2017 when U.S. Patent 6,009,399, held by[74] and administered by Technicolor,[75] expired.
    Worst case scenario: Wait for the August and December 30, 2017 patents to expire, and then include the appropriate 32-bit DLL in new versions of New Dark. That is probably more along the lines of the New Dark release schedule anyway.
    Last edited by jaxa; 9th May 2017 at 21:45.

Built-in FM loader in Thief version 1.19 and beyond

I'm truly vexed as to why FMSel refuses to show certain missions. It has to be something inside the file that it doesn't like. Here's the story:

1. I download TROTB_2_BETA.zip. (1.3 GB)
    2. Fire up Thief2, whereupon FMSel opens.
    3. Type TROT in the field. Nothing there.
    4. Rename TROTB_2_BETA.zip to simply TROTB2.zip.
    5. Fireup FMSel again. Still not showing.
    6. Delete the FMSel.ini file. Nothing.
    7. Copy the zip to another folder (thinking, maybe it can't read 1000+ files). Still not showing.

Can anyone think of anything else? Anyone advising me to reinstall Thief will receive my homegrown version of Yummy, Yummy, Yummy.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Is this Rebellion of the Builder 2?
    Mabybe there's a FM.ini with the title. Type "Rebellion" in the search field.

Is this Rebellion of the Builder 2?
    Yes

Mabybe there's a FM.ini with the title.
    Yes

Type "Rebellion" in the search field.
    Nothing

I manually unpacked the zip file into Thief2/FMs. Still nothing. I then deleted the .ini file in the Thief2 folder, clicked the button that says, "Show FMs that haven't been completed," and it finally showed up.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I then deleted the .ini file in the Thief2 folder, clicked the button that says, "Show FMs that haven't been completed," and it finally showed up.
    Which ini file?

I've noticed that FMSel sometimes needs to be refreshed when a new FM is put in. Also in NewDarkLoader, you sometimes need to click on Reset All Filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Which ini file?
    FMSel.ini