TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert World Rep to Model - DromEd 1.19 Tutorial

Thanks for the explanation. I never used Anim8or except once when going through Slugg's tutorial.
    I meant "Save" because I didn't knew that the tool only saves to an8-files. I loaded the obj-file, changed the model, clicked on "save", and expected that the changes were saved to the obj-file.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    using the world rep exporter i converted the top of this building to an object. the building was causing trouble in the pathfinding database of all things. but the principle of converting brush work to objects is sound.

hey you talented persons

Now that i've decided to give this thing try by following Ottoj55 tutorial and i managed to run into some problems already. I had runtime error 13 but that went away with that newer version of 3ds to bin. What i now have is that Anim8or doesn't load texture to the object.

I tried making the object all the way to ready without caring about it and seemed to work well enough (except the texture was missing).
    Object i tried to make for test is just solid 4x4x4 cube that has coins as texture (and it inside 16 air cube). Object (wr_export.obj and wr_export.mtl) are in same folder with DromEd. Texture for it is in fam/test folder.
    I opened wr_export.mtl with notepad and it says:
    #
    # MTL File Generated by DromEd Final 1.19 MSVC opt playtest
    #

newmtl Jorge
    Ka 0 0 0
    Kd 1 0 1
    Ks 0 0 0
    Ni 1
    Ns 100
    Tf 1 1 1
    d 1

newmtl missing
    Ka 0 0 0
    Kd 0.784 0.784 0.784
    Ks 0 0 0
    Ni 1
    Ns 100
    Tf 1 1 1
    d 1

newmtl test$co1ns
    Ka 0 0 0
    Kd 0.784 0.784 0.784
    Ks 0 0 0
    Ni 1
    Ns 100
    Tf 1 1 1
    d 1
    map_Kd C:\Users\Gigagooga\Desktop\T2 Dromed\fam\test\co1ns.PNG

which looks pretty ok to me. I also tried with GIF format but nothing changed.

So, which part am i missing? :P

I had no idea. What a powerful function!

Anim8or cannot display png textures, so I think when you export, the materials in the 3ds file do not reference any textures. Try converting the textures to gif or jpg, point the materials to them, then export again.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Anim8or cannot display png textures, so I think when you export, the materials in the 3ds file do not reference any textures. Try converting the textures to gif or jpg, point the materials to them, then export again.
    I also tried gif with no luck, but what is that 'point materials to them'? how do i do that?

Edit each material in Anim8or.
    Texture > Diffuse > Load texture

the textures are being shown in anim8or, but like r soul said, you have to load a new diffuse texture on them. i also find it easier to have copies of the object textures in the anim80r working folder (usually c:\temp) to be sure i want them. as that you can retexture the object easily at this point.

I always do the following trick: after importing the model to Anim8or I center it, then copy object, start new file and insert object. And only then I load textures and save.
    If I don't do the trick, textures disappear after save and load.

I guess this might be suitable for some other thread but..
    almost every time i try to convert my 3ds to bin, i get the bad polygon error. Most of times conversion succeeds if there is less than 100 polygons in object. Those wich converted successfully work like they should in DromEd.

Any hints you guys could give me about how to dodge that error?

I use wr_export_obj to create obj file and then in anim8or i simply clean up all that's left from air brush, then i add textures and export to 3ds. I also centered the object in anim8or.

The exported obj is usually quite messy because of the way Dromed splits up polygons. I tend to rebuild from scratch, using the original vertices as snapping points. In Anim8or there's an 'add edges' tool (http://www.orbiterwiki.org/images/th...bay_Tut004.jpg - next to the UV button). The textures will have to be remapped but the end result is worth it. Rebuilding ensures the mesh is relatively clean.

i'll go through the mesh and make sure that its merged into a single mesh, then select a point (which is a group of points) and merge them into a single point.

Me, I'm lazy. After merging all into a single mesh, I just go to point mode, select all points, then merge all points, selecting an appropriate merging distance (.05 or so). Bam, done. If I picked the wrong merge distance and stuff merged which shouldn't have, undo and try again with a tighter tolerance. No muss no fuss. Then clean up by deleting whatever you don't want. But with it all merged, it's much easier!

after merging the points it still refuses to go through converter. Is there anything else i have to do after merging the points i'm not yet aware of?

I followed that tutorial. I managed to convert the worldrep to a model.
    But in DromEd, the object looks white. I saw the hints for the materials in animator, but the textures won't show up in the converted model. No matter what I do.
    Btw, I'm using the gif format to match animator the capabilties. 128x128 or 512x512.

I need some more informations:
    Which texture-format did you use? gif? Which size? Does it matter what size I choose?
    Did you choose trinangualted, portals in the wordlrep-converter?. Does it matter?
    Is the .mtl that the worldrep-converter creates needed in the fam/txt16 - folder?
    ------------------------------------------------------

O.K. It worked now. Here's the trick: One have to select file and object->your_material/texture in animator, and the texture will show up in animator and the converted object.
    Last edited by fibanocci; 7th Jul 2013 at 11:59. Reason: problem solved

if you updated the textures in anim8or and they showed up then the problem could be from the conversion from .3ds to .e to .bin easiest thing to do is check the .e file and make sure the textures being referenced don't have a file path or some other silliness on them. textures go in the obj/txt16 folder.

Thanks for this very helpful tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Got a question. What advantages are there to doing this? Does this mean this new Dromed thing is capable of importing complex models from 3D packages and lighting them properly, or is it just for testing purposes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    i'm a detail fanatic, i want my object buildings outside the player area to match those inside, but i don't want to spend a dozen brushes on each. this makes it easy for me to produce these buildings. i can also build objects for specific uses on buildings with the building, assuring the custom object will fit the brush work perfectly. i've yet to test the upper limits on new objects, they do support high resolution textures now.

I understand the practical advantages of using objects instead of solid brushes (reduce polys, cells, enhanced detail/complexity etc...). In terms of the end result (i.e., ignoring the process of creating the mission), what are the disadvantages of using objects in place of solid brushes? Maybe pathfinding, or sound propagation get wonky?

In the extreme, would performance always be better if every solid brush were swapped out for an identical object (again, ignoring the pain-in-the-neck construction process)? If not, what types of brushes are best replaced with objects and which types are best left as brushes? Is there a list of general guidelines?

ZylonBane
    Seriously?

Brush structures support per-polygon collision detection. Objects only support box or sphere collision detection. That's the most significant difference.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    ... what types of brushes are best replaced with objects and which types are best left as brushes?
    If you want the player to be able to pick it up or has a lot of fine detail, use an object.
    If you think of it as a thing, use an object.
    If you think of it as a wall or floor or ceiling or major architectural element (such as a beam or stairs) use a brush.

There are exceptions to these three guidelines, but you will learn them over time.

Lightmaps doesn't affect objects the correct way.
    Also, it's impossible to convert every single brush from worldspace to object. Just because there are negative (air) brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    ...If you think of it as a wall or floor or ceiling or major architectural element (such as a beam or stairs) use a brush...
    Interesting, I thought beams and stairs were some of the prime candidates for turning into objects.

Beams, yes. Using a vertical beam object inside an air brush in the centre of a spiral staircase is a good way to simplify your roombrushing for example.

Stairs, not so much - you really need the accurate collision of brushes, and the pathfinding won't like object stairs very much.

The biggest structural elements always have to be made of brushes. Only the world polygons can hide invisible objects and other walls/ceiling from rendering. If everything was made up of objects then everything would have to be rendered on screen at the same time, despite being hidden = veeeery poor performance.

Plus yeah - the shadow maps. Lack of shadows on objects of even a medium size can look pretty bad in some cases.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Object stairs (meaning, the entire staircase as a single object) can work fine if they have no physics model, and you put a ramp underneath them. In fact that can be better for pathfinding than building the staircase out of terrain. But in general the two biggest drawbacks I know of have been mentioned: objects are limited to boxes and spheres for collision, and objects are generally either completely lit or unlit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast