TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert World Rep to Model - DromEd 1.19 Tutorial

Vertical Contest Winner 2009

Convert World Rep to Model - DromEd 1.19 Tutorial

The most powerful feature of DromEd 1.19 has to be exporting the world rep to a model. Adjust the model in Anim8or, convert to a model and use it in Thief.

http://jasonotto.net/wp-content/uplo...Export_obj.doc

Thanks for posting that. I'd like to make a suggestion: You can use Area brushes to isolate the brushes you want to use.

I'm also sure that if you delete the primary air brush first leaving only the solid brushes you wish to model behind you'll have less clean up to do.

EDIT: NO, what I said above is totally wrong, ignore that.
    Last edited by Ottoj55; 11th Oct 2012 at 19:19.

Moderator and Priest
    Got a question. What advantages are there to doing this? Does this mean this new Dromed thing is capable of importing complex models from 3D packages and lighting them properly, or is it just for testing purposes?

i'm a detail fanatic, i want my object buildings outside the player area to match those inside, but i don't want to spend a dozen brushes on each. this makes it easy for me to produce these buildings. i can also build objects for specific uses on buildings with the building, assuring the custom object will fit the brush work perfectly. i've yet to test the upper limits on new objects, they do support high resolution textures now.

oh, and wr_export_obj will export brushes from stripped missions as well, just in case you want a building from a stripped mission for something.

Thank you Ottoj55, very useful tutorial.

I've added it to my site.

Thank you for this tutorial! It will be very helpful when populating city missions with additional buildings.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    i'm a detail fanatic, i want my object buildings outside the player area to match those inside, but i don't want to spend a dozen brushes on each. this makes it easy for me to produce these buildings. i can also build objects for specific uses on buildings with the building, assuring the custom object will fit the brush work perfectly. i've yet to test the upper limits on new objects, they do support high resolution textures now.
    So basically you can't make your entire map out of models, but you can make static meshes/high res detail models and get pretty good results?

Help, please. Does not work for me

I convert in NV's 3dsToBin:

Then I try to go the other way:

3ds2E.bat and BSP.bat

I get bin without error but in DromEd it's looks as invisible cube. I can walk through it.
    All textures inside - Obj/Txt16.

What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps I need to delete more points from Anim8tor? But I don't know which ones.

center the model in anim8or before exporting for starters, it'll be shifted otherwise. the bad poly is from a piece of design that bsp doesn't like, you'll have to trouble shoot that.

Archivist
    Tutorial now mentioned in the Tutorials overview for reference.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    That is cool ! Thanks Jason !

I tried to export the Cetus Amicus as an object and deleted all unnecessary brushes:

However, when imported into Anim8or, it looks like this:

It seems as if only the air-brushes are exported (or imported).

There are no warnings or errors during Optimization, when exporting the worldrep or when importing the obj-file into Anim8or.
    Placing the ship in a surrounding airbrush didn't help either.

What am I doing wrong?

i'll have to look at it, but if you can find an unstripped copy of that level you'll be able to area brush the cetus amicus cave and simplify the problem.

That's basically what I did. I deleted all brushes except those that constitute the vessel. Then I removed the "inside" of the vessel to further clean up the mesh before export.
    Here's my modified miss14 with nothing in it except the vessel:
    miss14_modified.mis

The object is a recreation of what's in the 3d view, so if you delete the surrounding air brush the 3d view is mostly nothing, as is the object. You can fix your mission by creating a big FillAir brush around it and setting the Time to 0. Dromed won't let you do that in one go, so set the Time to 1, then select the main hull cylinder and change its Time from 0 to 1.
    Last edited by R Soul; 11th Oct 2012 at 12:27.

Great, that worked! Thank you!

So, this advice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    I'm also sure that if you delete the primary air brush first leaving only the solid brushes you wish to model behind you'll have less clean up to do.
    Is then not applicable, right?

That's correct, but you could take steps to simplify things before exporting. E.g if a solid terrain feature is surrounded by many air brushes to make a complex shape, it'll help to remove them so you have fewer vertices to deal with in your object program.

that was speculation, i'll correct that.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Great, that worked! Thank you!
    Somebody is building a fleet am I right?

Could we see a screenshot, intruder?

I wish I could, but somehow I've run into a strange problem with Anim8or:
    I load a mesh, clean it up, and save it. Up until here, everything is fine. When I restart Anim8or and load the file, it's completely empty. I checked the .obj-file with notepad++ and it seems as all the mesh data is still there, but Anim8or refuses to load it.

Maybe I should save it as a native .an8-file and not as .obj-file?

It shouldn't matter. But, when you say "save" do you mean "SAVE" or do you mean "EXPORT"? In Anim8or you "SAVE" to the AN8 format but you can "EXPORT" to OBJ or 3DS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast