TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Can we talk about comic books?

Because that's what I've been reading. Lots and lots of comic books. I just recently finished off the endcap to 25 years worth of comic book continuity. I have no idea how many comics I've read in the past 20 months but it's gotta be somewhere in the 2000+ range by this point, and that's not counting the non-DC stuff I've read (I've gone through a lot of creator-owned works too.) It's funny because it started off as a plan to just read Batman, but that's the thing about comics. If you're into comics and start following the ongoings you wind up reading other stuff too. That's why they do their big crossover events, to introduce readers to other properties. It's why I'm such a big Green Lantern fan now.

I finished the last story of the previous continuity and I have to say, it wouldn't have been half as good if Final Crisis hadn't made me a Barry Allen!Flash fan. Barry being dead since 1985 carried a lot of weight for his 2008 return, and when he came back with a personality it really made for a good damn book. The main Flashpoint mini was a good read, though most of the tie-ins were meh. The Batman tie-in was great, though.

Now I've started on this "New 52" thing. The first arc of Justice League was fantastic, and the first arc of Action Comics (the only Superman book I'm reading, I've been warned off all the others) was pretty interesting. I am kind of disappointed in the first arc of Detective Comics -- Tony Daniel's writing is workmanlike at best.

I've got some catching up to do still -- 2 years' worth of comics, and I am certainly reading a lot of books at once (too many goddamn Batman books if I'm being honest) but so far it's not been too big of a disaster, but then again I'm not reading Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Does Manga count?

I've started to read Ghost in the Shell and I find it pretty entertaining, and a bit different from the Animes, Although I'm a little lost on the overall story arch and where I am in it, because I dont live in an area where any stores stock a great deal of volumes unless they're sure they'll sell, so I just get what is handy. The aesthetic differences between the manga and the anime are a bit striking in some cases, especially since the manga is just so damn 1980s it's almost hilarious.

I think I'm caught up on The Walking Dead now. Interesting to see how the folks making the show have deviated so much from the main story. The original Rick is so much more of a badass, and I just don't see how they can make Carl into what he becomes in the comics, they're trying but I dont think they're doing a good enough job.

Also started reading Elephantmen, and I really enjoy it. A bit Dick Tracy, healthy dose of Noir.

I don't get to read much unless I'm working overtime shifts where my job is basically to sit on a chair for 12 hours and stay awake. So sometimes my readings are pretty far in between and I get a bit lost.

Also I have the hardcover special editions of all the Amory Wars. It's one of my favorites, but I wont recommend it to you Dethtoll because I already know you're not into it. You've said as much. Still, amazing art and larger than life.

Still Subjective
    I know I'm being old and grumpy but a. no comics please, start your own thread and b. that megaman thing was really out of place.

No, and no. I'll thank you not to threadshit.

I quit reading picture books about forty-years-ago.

... though I do still enjoy the occasional pop-up.

You would.

I'm reading this really fascinating ketchup bottle. Been reading it for about an hour, it's starting to get good.

If it ends well i'll try mustard (DONT SPOIL IT PLEASE)

The mayo did it.

Your mean

Yes. I relish that fact.

*rim shot*

Chakat sex pillow
    Buncha sour krauts in here.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    No, and no. I'll thank you not to threadshit.
    Really? What had the mega man thing for to do with anything other than you like it? You're so low brow. And you asked whether we could have comics in here. I'm not hating on comics BTW, they should/could have another thread.

You're the thread shitter.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    Try some Flashman.
    I was being clever by posting the Flash Man stage theme, not my fault you didn't get it despite it being obvious just by looking at the video title.

Go away.

verbose douchebag
    We need another thread for Punch & Judy shows.

We need another thread about thread.

Anyone knit?

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I was being clever by posting the Flash Man stage theme, not my fault you didn't get it despite it being obvious just by looking at the video title.

Go away.
    I got it but it wasn't funny and was decidedly trite.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

verbose douchebag

Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    I got it but it wasn't funny and was decidedly trite.
    So are you. I'm glad we got this cleared up. Let's talk about what we're reading now, mk?

Still Subjective
    I'm still reading Snow Crash. I've got to that bit you have to really read in one go, or at least a bit every day, and as I've little time to read ATM I'm going to rewind about 1/5 th and start this bit again.

Loving it so far. Very prophetic.

At the risk of starting another fight about Neal Stephenson and his beard, Snow Crash would have been a lot better if it had done entirely without the "Sumerian is the programming language of the human brainstem" infodumps. They added absolutely nothing to the plot and ground the pace of the book to a halt. If Stephenson felt it was absolutely crucial, it could've been reduced to 10 sentences, 9, possibly 8 if you further drop the JESUS WASN'T REAL bits. It's a shame, because I really wanted to like the book. Some of the other parts were pretty good, if a bit 80s.

I don't think it's very prophetic, though -- what makes you say that? To me it struck me as more like a critique/send-up of anarcho-capitalism.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I listened to Snow Crash on audiobook a year ago or so. There's defenitely too much infodumping and details about stuff. I was wishing it would get back to Hero Protagonist slicing dudes up and racing bikes in cyberspace and bantering with YT more. Y'know, the good stuff! Still, a good listen overall.

verbose douchebag
    I really enjoyed the Sumerian / linguistics tie in. Adds some good neuro / culture angles into what would otherwise be just flat sci-fi. I think this is why I loved The Diamond Age so much - wasn't so much a sci-fi yarn as a massive comment neuro-liguistic development. Setting was very cool too.

I just finished, 'Gideon's Corpse'. Normally, I'm not a reader of a modern thrillers, but all the books by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child are fantastic reads that are exceedingly well-written. If you don't know Preston and Child, these guys really are masters of modern fiction--when writing together. Apart, the magic is somewhat gone.

And I'm still emotionally reeling after having read, 'Blind Faith', by Ben Elton. For me, this could be one of the more important books of the 21-century for its damning social commentary, and spot on observation of the devolution of humanity. It holds a mirror up to reflect an image that is ugly and disturbing, smoked in a haze of black-comedic prose. Unfortunately, this treasure of a book is almost completely unknown here in the States; which is a pity considering that if anyone one people needed a mirror of honesty held in front of them, it'd be us.

Right now I'm focusing on female authors. It has never been a conscious decision, but for some reason I've read almost only male authors in the past (at the time I often picked books at random which, statistically speaking, since I've obviously more often picked a book by a male author, leads one to believe that my local library could be blamed), but, as already stated, I'm making up for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Right now I'm focusing on female authors. It has never been a conscious decision ... but, as already stated, I'm making up for that now.
    Unless they started writing pre-1970, don't do it to yourself.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast