TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I'm STILL reading Snow Crash.

Why isn't this a film by now?
    Haven't you and Dethtoll had enough arguments for one month?

Still Subjective
    Does he hate Snow Crash or something?

verbose douchebag
    You might say that.

There's this thing about Neal Stephenson's beard too. It's come up a few times.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Snow Crash isn't the worst book I've ever read. But it's bad enough that comparisons can be made.

I don't know how Subjeff can be such a prolific poster here and not have a clue about other peoples' tastes or experiences. It's not like I haven't made my views about stuff like Snow Crash (or TV, which he's argued with me over in the past) or my experiences with deafness very clear.

Still Subjective
    I've argued with you about specific TV shows before but not about you disliking Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

I just don't remember any posts where you said you disliked Snow Crash. I remember you said something about Neal Stephenson but disliking a person doesn't mean you'd automatically dislike his book, does it? That'd be idiocy of the finest pedigree.

I don't know how you can be a human being and not know that another person isn't going to remember everything you love and hate. Can you name a book I dislike? One I like?

I'm enjoying Snow Crash. What's to hate?

Considering everyone else is like "shhh don't mention Stephenson around dethtoll" I have to wonder where you've been.

Also, what's to hate about Snow Crash?

Everything, and Stephenson himself is a hack. His books are about 7-8 times longer than they have to be and full of useless information that somehow is connected to the plot but is utterly extraneous otherwise. His characters are flat and often little more than archetypes. There is little narrative flow or tension. But once you shovel away the endless mounds of Wikipedia text dumps, what you have left really isn't very good.

Snow Crash was almost okay if we took it as an intentional parody of cyberpunk and anarcho-capitalism, but then he fucking infodumps the reader with a bunch of bullshit about ancient Sumeria that doesn't mean anything or further the plot. It's something to do with the neuroscience of language, okay, but why does that matter? It doesn't. It has no bearing on the plot, and the whole "Sumerian is the programming language of the human brainstem" could have been reduced to maybe 10 sentences, 9 if you toss the completely throwaway JESUS WASN'T REAL line that got thrown in because Stephenson just can't help being a stereotype. None of this is necessary. It's all extraneous and should have had red ink dumped on it. But Stephenson thought editors were for wimps, and now I've read through a couple dozen pages of this stuff and I've forgotten what the fuck the main character was supposed to do or why he -- or I -- should care. Then I realize that he's had no real motivation anyway, unless you count jamming it in the valley girl.

And that's him at his most restrained -- when he became popular with about 40,000 neckbeards he pretty much disappeared into his own asshole, and now every goddamn book of his -- from the excruciating Cryptonomicon to the full-stop unreadable Anathem -- is a million pages of beemban (beemban: noun, predating the age of Shitquarius, meaning thoneeturr'ntooloh, which in turn means furrferfortwinhie after carrying the two if we use non-Faulknerian math THIS IS EXACTLY THE SORT OF STUPID BULLSHIT ALL HIS BOOKS FUCKING DO

Chakat sex pillow
    Take it to the private members' jerkoff circle, please. I don't think I'm the only one tired of the long, ropey wads of text erupting between you two over the same thing day in and day out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    His books are about 7-8 times longer than they have to be and full of useless information that somehow is connected to the plot but is utterly extraneous otherwise. His characters are flat and often little more than archetypes.
    Agree about too much useless info, but I thought the characters were great. The samurai who delivers pizza for the mafia is like an 11 year old's idea of the the coolest guy ever and the banter between him and YT was great.

I'd love to see a movie version of it. There's lots of scenes in it that'd work great visually, and they could cut out most of the fluff and focus on the main story and characters.

In all honesty, I actually would not mind a movie of it. Its plot, its flat characters, its whole setting being the inside of an 11-year-old's head after watching, I dunno, his brother's copy of Ghost in the Shell, and playing Shadowrun on the Genesis, not to mention potentially being a rather timely critique of the Koch brothers' idea of how capitalism works, would make for a good stupid summer film where you turn off your brain and just look at the pretty for a couple hours. The shit about ancient Sumeria would bore everyone to tears and any studio exec worth his salt would have it excised and then the screenwriter would turn up dead for trying to put it in, and the movie would be better for it.

But fuck me if I'm ever going to read that another book by that pretentious shitbeef and his beard ever again.
    Last edited by dethtoll; 6th Jun 2014 at 03:25.

verbose douchebag
    I loved Snow Crash, but loved Diamond Age even more. I'm not sure about film versions. Look what happened with Johnny Mnemonic.

Who would have thought a talking dolphin gang leader wouldn't translate well to film?

verbose douchebag
    Or indeed, the whole book.

Still Subjective
    It's such a frustrating phenomenon - failed translation to film.

There are so many sci-fi novels that seem like they'd make great films but I worry the adaptations would take the wind out of them. The Forever War, for example. I think with the right direction, cast, script and (very important this) music and atmosphere it'd be tremendous. But then I think of something like Enders Game which was pretty faithful translation of the book but still ended up being entirely forgettable. It's for this reason I want Cronenberg to direct all the sci-fi; at least it'd be different.

I've just cracked open Nissam Taleb's non-fiction book "The Black Swan".

That book you described back on the last page sounds fascinating, faetal, and a bit terrifying.

verbose douchebag
    I started but never finished Black Swan - should probably get round to that some day.

Did you mean Rosemary's Baby? Yeah, it was great. Levin is really good at the wholesome suburban horror thing.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I loved Snow Crash, but loved Diamond Age even more. I'm not sure about film versions. Look what happened with Johnny Mnemonic.
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Who would have thought a talking dolphin gang leader wouldn't translate well to film?
    The sad irony is that while Gibson's story approached the concept with a straight face, Snow Crash is just so patently ridiculous (and Stephenson knew it, which is why he tried to pad it with po-fased infodumps) it would work just fine.

Still Subjective
    I really like the Sumer stuff.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

You would. It's just irritatingly pseudo-intellectual enough to appeal to you

Still Subjective
    I just thought it was fun. Kind of like how I really like Flashman.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Did you mean Rosemary's Baby? Yeah, it was great. Levin is really good at the wholesome suburban horror thing.
    No, sorry, the brain related one.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    You would. It's just irritatingly pseudo-intellectual enough to appeal to you
    This post adds nothing. You are an albatross.

I'm serious. Do you understand how forums are supposed to work? This isn't your own private IRC channel. These posts won't disappear in a natural flow of conversation. They are becoming the conversation. Take it to fucking private message. People are here to discuss content of opinions - not the holder of opinions. Fuck's sake, man, I know you're capable of better.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    No, sorry, the brain related one.
    Ah yes, Blink. A great read - smashed it in over the course of about a week. If you like brain-related stuff, I can also recommend The Tell Tale Brain by VS Ramachandran.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I'm serious. Do you understand how forums are supposed to work? This isn't your own private IRC channel. These posts won't disappear in a natural flow of conversation. They are becoming the conversation. Take it to fucking private message. People are here to discuss content of opinions - not the holder of opinions. Fuck's sake, man, I know you're capable of better.
    And yet here you are yelling at me publicly. Cute.

This on top of your regularly taking jabs at me, talking about how I should be banned from CommChat, that super-insulting smarmy post you left on my profile page a while back (which I deleted because fuck you) etc. etc. I realize you're having issues at home but that's no reason to take it out on me -- oh, wait, you've been doing this shit for years. That long period where you never posted was the best time for TTLG. You're fucking boring, go away again please.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast