TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 101520253035404550555657585960
Results 1,476 to 1,494 of 1494

Thread: Canon texture packs?

Purgator - how do you find them? Do you use some kind of image recognition software, that processes all the image files available on the internet?

Thanks! I will work on this some more to match the original a tad better. As for finding them, I just don't get out that much any more.
    The textures for Civicbui and CivicB2 are almost all from Vienna. I've been focusing my attention on the architecture from there and the work of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach in particular.
    I do own rather a lot of books on Medieval art history, those have helped immensely with other finds. Search Engines have yielded quite a lot too, though through text search rather than image search, oddly enough!

(click)
    Apologies! I had completely forgotten about this.
    I've tweaked the colour to suit the original texture (to the best of my ability).
    Last edited by Purgator; 13th Apr 2018 at 16:11.

Thanks, Purg...It now has that more suitable bronze look.

Great work!...

Great, I'll add it to the files for the next update.

Do you take resizes or textures need to be done from scratch? Cause some of the Original ones can be resized without loosing quality. Specially the art ones or ones that have been stretched the most in game:

For example wmveg:

Not much of a difference in size but in game looks better, not as noticeable but still

Just a resize with a bit of noise reduction, nothing else done.

backdr03

Um. Any resizing by it's very nature loses quality. The algorithms used to scale up the image must make formula based guesses as to what pixels to add between the existing pixels of the smaller scaled image. Those guesses are just that, guesses. They cannot add definition. They can only interpolate between existing points and hope that makes it look almost as good as the original. What you are doing with your scaling of the original is locking in a particular pixilization of the image and then having the dark engine re-scale it and re-interpolate the image. The result is a mishmash of the original image which, generally, is just blurrier.

You can still add a bit of noise reduction to mitigate the blurry look sort of to compensate for the resize. Here's another example:

Original

Resize

This is just an example and not the right type of texture which should be resized since it should resemble paint over wood but art textures like bckdr03 presented above it could be considered as an alternative if nothing else works.

I've been looking at a few of the textures, especially from T1 families, and adjusting the colours and levels of dirt and grime to be closer to the originals, especially in the cases of those textures where the colours are slightly off due to palette confusion (a lot of the T1 terrain textures have a different palette in the image than is used in the family, and some of the replacement textures were made against the wrong one.)

Some examples:

Original

Current EP

Adjusted EP

Original

Current EP

Adjusted EP

Sadly, I've also come to the conclusion that some of the replacement textures in the EP are just too different from the originals, and should probably be removed or replaced.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 2nd Jun 2018 at 05:18.

The new ones are indeed better.

Still fixing up some of the more egregious T1 textures, where the colours were totally wrong before.

Are there any artists still around and interested in contributing to this?

I'd especially like to see someone who could do a decent job of some of the basic loot items, the ones in the EP look far too different to the originals, and I could never quite manage to make replacements that looked close enough
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 7th Jun 2018 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'd especially like to see someone who could do a decent job of some of the basic loot items, the ones in the EP look far too different to the originals, and I could never quite manage to make replacements that looked close enough
    I can try to rework some of the items. I would give it a try.
    Maybe I can do one item and if it's to your liking, I can do more.

String

Any idea which model you would like to try?

One point I should make regarding models for the EP is that I always try to keep the UV mapping as close to the original as possible, if I can.
    Ideally, it should be possible to use the new model with the old textures.
    The reasoning behind that is for FMs that use custom skins for objects but don't include the object itself. If the EP model uses the same texture names and UV mappings, then the custom texture will apply to the new model and at mostly work, instead of completely overriding the custom asset from the mission.

Oh, forgot about this thread, sry.

Maybe a good start would be a simple one...

I don't have Thief Gold installed. I can do it, as soon as I find my cds.

Can you upload one model to try ?

Here are three of the simple treasure models - the gold candle, one of the gold goblets, and one of the gold vases.
    A little tricky because all three of them use the same texture, which ideally they should continue to do if possible.

Note that the same models are also in Thief 2, unchanged.

The bin to 3ds conversion tools aren't perfect, so some of the detail (especially UV mapping) might be a bit wrong.
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Here are three of the simple treasure models - the gold candle, one of the gold goblets, and one of the gold vases.
    A little tricky because all three of them use the same texture, which ideally they should continue to do if possible.

Note that the same models are also in Thief 2, unchanged.

The bin to 3ds conversion tools aren't perfect, so some of the detail (especially UV mapping) might be a bit wrong.
    Tested with a simple crate: https://ibb.co/io7Xno

I work with Blender. As far as I can say, the .bin importer works good. Even though the top faces of the crate were badly unwrapped. But it's not that noticable with the old texture resolution. Don't know, if this is an import error, but I don't think so. I tweaked the uv map to look kind of good with the new texture.

Is it ok to add some geometry to make round things here and there ?

Edit: I think it's better to use the original .bin. The candle seems to be a little messed up.
    Last edited by Stringgod2; 12th Jun 2018 at 00:09.

Zombified
    no time to check the files, but it would be great if any/all candle models potentially making it into EP2 or other hires packs had proper vhots.

That crate looks good, though I'm looking at the image on my phone and so can't fully appreciate the detail right now.

Some points:
    The original crate is full of hammers, the new one appears to be full of ore or stones.
    The textures should probably be a little lighter, to closer match the original's highlights
    Yes, you new models can have far more polygons to make things rounder and more detailed. Just try to stick close to the original vision for the object, and as mentioned before, try to keep the same UV mapping if possible. The current EP crate (which I did want to rework, as it's too different from the original) has inset panels.

If you're using the Blender importer and that works mote reliable than Shadowspawn's bin to 3ds tools, then I'd recommend using that.

Agreed with voodoo on the vhots.

I've set up a Discord for the EP if anyone is interested in collaborating over chat.
    https://discord.gg/5WUfmDj
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 12th Jun 2018 at 08:30.

fam/basement/trim4.gif

fam/basement/trim4.png
    2 versions here, with highlights/without.

terrain_scale 128 64

Squadarofl recommended a great book, 'Nightmares in the Sky', which iD Software/Looking Glass Studios used for texture inspiration.
    There's a good selection of Thief source textures in here, terrain (above texture) and object. I'm going to be working on a few of these, hopefully with some decent results. The book is available secondhand on Amazon for around $11/10 Euro approx.
    This texture doesn't feature heavily in this form, but it does appear combined with other textures throughout the basement texture family.

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 101520253035404550555657585960