TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Dark bug reports

I'm scared. It's been smooth sailing from day 1 with the NewDark engine, for me as a Linux user. I keep expecting some issue to rear its ugly head... Heck, the only real issue is that sometimes when I lean forward I can't right click. But recently, either I've not noticed it or I've gotten used to it.

It's probably a wine-related issue. There was always issues like that. As a non-Ubuntu user though (Xubuntu achiever), I don't have that old issue where mounting never worked.

I honestly can't say more. Smooth sailing on my way out...

Thanks intruder. I can save again

I doubt it's a bug, it's rather feature, but...
    Is it possible to change the "Camera grenade" behavior?
    It is different in 1.19 in comparison with 1.18. You can turn off pre-flash on start, but I can't find a way to turn off its... new feature. Beter to see yourself. Remove link "Render flash" from Garrett archetype and throw camera. In 1.19 it looks completely different.
    And it completely ruined final camvator in "Upside Down".

Oh, well I just learned the issue with the alt key (Linux). Turns out that every WM out there that I use grabs that key so you can drag windows around on-screen. No option in wine remedies this, and the only way to use the mouse buttons when using the alt-key is to hold down the windows (super) key beforehand. Nothing major, but it's rather annoying given I have to make sure I hold down super and then alt+w quickly. Super annoying.

I will probably just have to link it with another key. Although really I always liked the alt+w setup. It just worked fine on windows, and was comfortable for me.

Thiefmissions.com

So configure your window manager to change that behavior. Under the Window Behavior KDE settings, it's Window Behavior -> Window Actions, change "Modifier key" to something else, or just unbind the left button action.

XFCE though, man.

It might be in the boolean-based config files. But I dunno... I'll read into it.

It would be great if the wine developers made that an option to toggle the alt key to force wine the sole use of it. But, nitpicking...

D'oh! Silly me, the option to change the key for dragging windows was under the "Window Manager Tweaks" menu in the settings manager.

Well that's a problem no longer. Let's pretend it never happened.

EDIT: Not a new dark problem...video card was overheating.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 31st Oct 2012 at 13:23.

Could you post what you were doing and the full diagnostics from the crashes? I bet someone could read crash.dmp and help figure out what happened.

never mind :
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 31st Oct 2012 at 13:24.

DML duplication issues

Summary: When DML adds receptrons to something that already has them, it adds twice as many and duplicates an existing receptron.

I've whittled down the reproducable effect to a two-statement DML file. It causes frobbing the compass create a servant 5 units in front of Garrett. This makes the doubling effect pretty visible, since doubling the receptron on Garrett results in two servants instead of one.

Code:
    DML1

// unconditionally add a Knockout stim, which Garrett doesn't normally respond to, to the compass
    ++StimSource -3853 "Knockout"
    {
    	Intensity 1.0

Propagator "Contact"
    	{
    		Shape
    		{
    			"Contact Types" Frob in Inv
    			"Velocity Coeff" 0.0
    			"Frob Time Coeff" 0.0
    		}
    	}
    }

// Garrett responds to a Knockout stim of 1 by creating a servant 5 units in front of him, facing away from him
    // using + or ++ makes no difference; I've seen the doubling effect occur either way
    /*
    IDs to add the receptron to and observable effects:
    -2099 is Garrett. Doubling will be observed.
    -3993 is the superclass for difficulty settings. It has no properties, receptrons, or anything, but any changes to it will affect Garrett on all difficulty settings. No doubling will be observed, even for new receptrons, because it had none to begin with.
    -3994 is the metaproperty for Normal difficulty settings. Doubling will be observed, and when in effect you will also observe that healing potions restore 4 health per "pulse" instead of 2
    */
    /*
    Other Target object IDs to create, such as if you wanted to add more than one receptron:
    -141 (fire crystal)
    -2547 (healing potion)
    */
    +Receptron -2099 "Knockout"
    {
    	Min 1.0
    	Max None

Target -555
    	Agent Me

Effect "create_obj"
    	{
    		"Position" 5.0, 0.0, 0.0
    		"Heading" 0.0
    		"Pitch" 0.0
    		"Bank" 0.0
    	}
    }
    Steps to reproduce assume no fan missions/mods for simplicity, but I originally noted the issue with a fan mission and its mission-specific miss20.gam.dml file.

1. Create either a dark.gam.dml or gamesys.dml file in your Thief 2 installation directory, pasting in the above sample DML. Do not create both. Be sure to include a trailing empty line.
    2. Start a new game. Save your game.
    3. Use the compass. Note a single servant. Blackjack to confirm there's not another one hiding inside.
    4. Do one of the following: load your saved game, restart the mission, quit to the main menu and start another new game, or use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End to skip to the next mission.
    5. Use the compass. Note two servants.
    6. Quit the game entirely.
    7. Start it up again and load your saved game.
    8. Note a single servant once more.

These effects seem to not be tied to saved games or anything other than how many times New Dark had opportunities to look at the gamesys and/or DML. You can save your game when the effect is visible, then exit the program completely. When you load that save, the doubling is gone. Of course, if you load it a second time or do anything else in the above list, the doubling will return again.

It also never becomes more than a doubling, and I've only noted this when modifying something that already had receptrons. If it has no receptrons, I can safely add as many was I want without any doubling at all.

I've not yet taken steps to confirm any of the following:
    • Is even a single pre-existing receptron enough to trigger the issue? Are there more specific trigger conditions, like certain kinds of receptrons?
    • Is the effect limited to receptrons, or can it also affect links and sources? So far, I've only added links and sources to objects that didn't have any links or sources of their own.
    • Can the effect occur when modifying existing receptrons, without the intent to add any new ones at all?

If you add a "apply_dbmods 1" line to your dromed.cfg, this can be more clearly observed there. I've never gotten the dbmod_load command to work; it's looking in the path '' and says that path can't be found. I'm probably overlooking something simple. In any case, I'd expect apply_dbmods more closely mirrors the behavior of Thief2.exe. It does seem that when starting DromEd with a blank mission, you see only a single modification. When you load a mission after that, however, the doubling becomes apparent.

In the course of viewing the effects in DromEd, I noticed an even more disturbing effect. Not only are all new receptrons doubled, but exactly one of the pre-existing receptrons also seems to be doubled. Specifically, Garrett's amplification of a BashStim of 8 or more. I was also able to observe that all doubled receptrons also had duplicate IDs. For example, both BashStim receptrons were 0020000E and both new Knockout receptrons were 002000DE (or whatever they end up being).

When I experimented with the normal difficulty metaproperty instead of Garrett, the RestoreStim was duplicated in DromEd. This was easy to verify in-game. When only a single servant was created, health potions restored the expected two shields at a time. When doubling was in effect, it restored four shields at a time.

Another DML sample file for testing the doubling of the RestoreStim amplification on Normal difficulty. It also creates a fire crystal and healing potion, to confirm that all new receptrons are doubled in addition to the RestoreStim one. Finally, the compass inflicts some damage, to make it easy to test the healing potion(s) you create.
    Code:
    DML1

++StimSource -3853 "Knockout"
    {
    	Intensity 1.0

Propagator "Contact"
    	{
    		Shape
    		{
    			"Velocity Coeff" 0.0
    			"Frob Time Coeff" 0.0
    		}
    	}
    }

++StimSource -3853 "BashStim"
    {
    	Intensity 10.0

Propagator "Contact"
    	{
    		Shape
    		{
    			"Velocity Coeff" 0.0
    			"Frob Time Coeff" 0.0
    		}
    	}
    }

++Receptron -3994 "Knockout"
    {
    	Min 1.0
    	Max None

Target -555
    	Agent Me

Effect "create_obj"
    	{
    		"Position" 5.0, 0.0, 0.0
    		"Heading" 0.0
    		"Pitch" 0.0
    		"Bank" 0.0
    	}
    }

{
    	Min 1.0
    	Max None

Target -141
    	Agent Me

Effect "create_obj"
    	{
    		"Position" 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
    		"Heading" 0.0
    		"Pitch" 0.0
    		"Bank" 0.0
    	}
    }

{
    	Min 1.0
    	Max None

Target -2547
    	Agent Me

Effect "create_obj"
    	{
    		"Position" 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
    		"Heading" 0.0
    		"Pitch" 0.0
    		"Bank" 0.0
    	}
    }
    A work-around may be possible in some cases. In the specific case of Garrett and receptrons, for example, one can use the M-GarrettDiffSettings metaproperty instead. It will still influence Garrett in the end, no matter what difficulty setting is chosen, but since it has no receptrons of its own it is not affected by the issue. Depending on the intended modifications, however, there may be no alternative to making .GAM modifications instead of or in addition to a .DML file.

Hmm, i have had a problem sometimes with dromed
    shuts down when i go into game-mode, but no big
    deal, it just did that one or two times a day.
    But today it happens all the times. No message and
    the monolog shuts down to. Not easy to figure out
    wats wrong when monolog shuts down to.
    Any ideas?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    Any ideas?
    Stop posting from a VIC-20?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Stop posting from a VIC-20?
    ok? Now i dont understand NOTHING

Zombified
    if you are too young to catch the reference, just google it.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    if you are too young to catch the reference, just google it.
    No, but english is not my native language.
    I'm from Sweden and the english isn't the
    best sometimes. Hard to express myself
    in english, and catch references.
    But, i know what a vic-20 is. I was born
    in the seventies. Just didnt got what i
    wrote to earn such a comment.

I just asked for help.

Keyla the Otter
    Between Weyoun's Motion Editor and DromEd, the triggers attached to any custom motion I make somehow disappear from the file, so whenever I try to swing my sword, it doesn't collide with anything.

No, but english is not my native language.
    I'm from Sweden and the english isn't the
    best sometimes. Hard to express myself
    in english, and catch references.
    But, i know what a vic-20 is. I was born
    in the seventies. Just didnt got what i
    wrote to earn such a comment.

I just asked for help.
    Ignore ZB. He is grumpy towards everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Ignore ZB. He is grumpy towards everyone.
    Ok thanks, i will take your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Besides, that's the most fun I've had reading someones post, in ages. It's like an off-rhythm poem... Yeah.

Have you applied the bind e+alt in the user.bnd file in your dromed directory? You type:

Code:
    bind e+alt edit_mode
    Somewhere in there, supposing it's in there, save it and then when you are in-game mode and playing around your map (not in menu), you hold alt+e to go back to dromed. Exiting game mode from the game menu just kills dromed.

Hope that solves the problem for you.
    Nice to make people laugh this one's on me.
    I read it again now and understand that it was
    funny Normally i read it all before i post
    my message, but obviously not that time.
    I'll do my best and hope you understand me,
    at least.

I'll look into what you wrote.

Any ideas?
    What you need to do after this happens again is go to your DromEd directory, and sort it by date modified. At the very top should be some diagnostic files that DromEd threw when it crashed, or near the time when it crashed. You might see monolog.txt, DromEd.log, crash.dmp, p_portal.cow, merge.log, Done.mis, Backup.mis, InProg.cow, and so on. Whatever you see with a date-time stamp near the time of the crash, gather it up, throw it into a zip, put it on a file sharing site, and post it here, along with a description of exactly what you were doing at the time of the crash and just before the crash, with as much detail as possible, even things you think are obvious (what you did after the crash you can keep your personal and private business ). With luck, someone will be along here who can take a look and recognize what is going on (maybe because it caused them to pull out some hairs before figuring it out) and offer some good advice.

ZylonBane
    But, i know
    what a vic-
    20 is. I was
    born in the
    seventies.
    Just didnt
    got what i
    wrote to
    earn such
    a comment.
    Perhaps a subtle hint would help.

Okay it probably won't.

A less subtle hint: It is no longer the seventies you don't have to manually press Enter at the end of every 40 columns of text.

LarryG:
    Thanks, i'll do that if the problem continues.

ZylonBane:
    Ok, i got it. But sorry, maybe i'm stuck in the seventies.
    Or, my eyes is not the best and i think its more comfortable
    to write this way So you have to live with it.
    Long live the VIC-20

One thing I like about these forums you meet such interesting people who help you learn about tolerance of the things that don't really matter . . . hint, hint, zb

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    One thing I like about these forums you meet such interesting people who help you learn about tolerance of the things that don't really matter . . . hint, hint, zb

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast