TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Dark bug reports

Visual Render Bug?

In 1.21 there is still a visual/rendering bug if you use Renderer: Render -> Order. This bug is very crucial for me since I based a few objects and effects on this.

Strangely in the editor game mode it's displayed how i want it but when I test it with thief.exe it's totally wrong

How it looks in editor:

How it looks ingame:

Honestly both screenshots were taken ingame and this is what makes the whole thing much more confusing.
    If I look to the left all windows are solid and if I sway to the right ~in the middle all windows are suddenly displayed properly.

(Short explanation about the setup: the house and the windows are separate objects. The windows are placed a bit inside of the wall so normaly you can't see the glass. But here comes NewDark with the Render Order trick. With the usage of a transparent texture you (I) can create the effect you see in the second screenshot. But sadly if I play my mission with thief.exe it's messed up

I write this here again in the hope that there will be a fix in version 1.22

Why are the windows separate objects anyway? Why not just make them a part of the main object?

Zombified
    not sure whether render order is supposed to be used in that way. I have been using it in situations when one needs to specify what needs to be ordered first/second/last, like multiple overlapping wall decals behind a window. it has worked great so far.

any chance you could perhaps post that mission (or a part of it) for testing purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Why are the windows separate objects anyway? Why not just make them a part of the main object?
    Well there are 2 answers
    1) I don't want to: I like variation so I would like to have similar base-houses but they should slightly variate also I want to use the same method on other house objects.
    My base objects has >30 VHots and so it's really easy for me to place my parts at fitting places.

2) I can't do it: The base house has already ~900 polys. You can see it in the first picture, but note it's really just the base the side 'extension' are extra objects as well. At the beginning everything was just one object with 12k polys.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    not sure whether render order is supposed to be used in that way. I have been using it in situations when one needs to specify what needs to be ordered first/second/last, like multiple overlapping wall decals behind a window. it has worked great so far.

any chance you could perhaps post that mission (or a part of it) for testing purposes?

well render order was obviously not design for that purpose but. But if you allow me to quote it is to decide "which objects are rendered before or after others". And this is basically the methode I use. My windows have an extra layer of an transparent texture at the opening (else this trick wouldn't work). Now I tell via render order that the transparent texture of the window should be rendered first and the house later. It's more complex as with decals but in theory it's similar.

I uploaded the necessary parts of my missions here: Download
    Last edited by Daraan; 28th Mar 2013 at 06:22.

You could just use the texture replacement properties (txt repl r#) to swap out the window textures.

If the windows are extra parts that slot onto the model, you should design them to be separate parts, not oddly overlapping inside the original model.

I'd say redesign the thing to be more logically modular instead of trying to abuse the renderer to do something it wasn't designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    You could just use the texture replacement properties (txt repl r#) to swap out the window textures.

If the windows are extra parts that slot onto the model, you should design them to be separate parts, not oddly overlapping inside the original model.

I'd say redesign the thing to be more logically modular instead of trying to abuse the renderer to do something it wasn't designed for.
    Nah they don't slot there are just some placed where they fit very good thats why I put vhots up there. The models can be used on their own as well.

Maybe take a look at the objects first to see how they work and how they are actually build that would be much easier instead of explaining it here.

I would like to leave the discussion aside how to design that model. I put some thoughts into it and I don't see another good way how to split such a big model. Well I could cut it horizontally but then the objects on their own would be pretty useless.

The question/bug I want to point out is that dromed.exe and thief.exe behave differently. While in dromed.exe everything is displayed correctly in thief.exe it swaps between correct and wrong at certain positions and angles. For me it looks like that there is a miscalculation somewhere which only appears in thief.exe so maybe this problem lies deeper and also causes other minor errors.

Okay, to be honest, I'm not positive this is a New Dark bug, so my apologies if it isn't. Anyway, I've played through Thief Gold with New Dark with no problem, and now I'm playing through Thief 2. I had no problems until I got to "Life of the Party". In the trader's bank the vault door in the supervisor's office opens but is obscured by blackness and I can't frob the lever in it to open the small metal door across the hall. Also, the building with the thieve's has a doorway which is also obscured by blackness. I don't recall encountering this problem before New Dark, but it's also been a few years since I played through both games.

Just as a NewDark test I played my own missions. Especially in "Reunion with Basso" I had many self-made objekt textures (for posters, lamps etc.) which I put in the path \obj\txt[16].
    I was a little bit disappointed that these texture creations are not visible anymore under NewDark conventions. With 1.18 they always had priority over the standard textures in the RES path.
    Any suggestions or solutions?

Another problem is p.e. the zombies who rise again after being hit with the sword. I'm afraid that in some FMs the gameplay might be different or more difficult than under 1.18 conventions. Is this intentional?
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

New Dark bug reports

I don't know how your installation is made up, but in my case new objects go in patchedres---obj---txt16

I do not know, if this is a bug or not... it is hard to explain. I try:

In 1.18 you can create a fire with a radius of damage of x, within this fire hurts. When you use NewDark to play this mission then, something strange seems to happen: The radius of damage seems increased.

This happend when I played a FM. There was a basement with a melter or something like this. Suddenly some AIs run upstairs, screaming that they were attacked.
    Indeed with 1.18 they don't, because they aren't get hurt down there. But in NewDark they get hurt at the same place.

---------------------
    And another thing that might be connected: The radius.
    Well, I have not worked with DromEd 1.18 this much, so I have no comparison option. But I wonder how this radius-thing worked. When I use (e.g.) an AmbientHacked I can use a radius. But how is this measured? I thought it is in units (the same units like the size of brushes), but that is not true. If I use y for radius, it is always bigger than y units.
    But like I said, I do not know if this was with 1.18 the same.

By the way, what kind of radius is a radius in DromEd? Is it a sphere? Or a cube? Or something between?

I don't think these classify as "bugs," but I'll throw them in here for posterity:

Over-sized lightmap , reportalize!

Classification: Non-serious (Warning displays in monolog.)

Cause: You're reducing the texture size (let's say from 16 to 14 or from 15 to 11), which causes the rendering engine to reject the previous light-mapping assigned to it.

Fix: Reportalize

txtrpal.cpp@54 could not load dialog (or) could not load dialog txtrpal

Classification: Fatal - DromEd will crash on startup

Cause: Something was not copied from the patch update or a newer file did not overwrite an older one.

Fix: Unzip/copy the files with the overwrite flag checked in your compression program. Better yet, install via TafferPatcher!

All objects (not brushes) are textured in Jorge

Classification: Non-serious

Cause: The ObjTexture depth is incorrect

Fix: Open dark.cfg, find the line that says ObjTextures. It should say ObjTextures16

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post

txtrpal.cpp@54 could not load dialog (or) could not load dialog txtrpal

Classification: Fatal - DromEd will crash on startup

Cause: Something was not copied from the patch update or a newer file did not overwrite an older one.

Fix: Unzip/copy the files with the overwrite flag checked in your compression program. Better yet, install via TafferPatcher!
    So glad I found this!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    I think we found a NewDark bug (or new feature?). Flinders and also corpse links to archetype loot objects doesn't count as loot in the stats until the loot was released.
    They do count in OldDark 1.18 without being released. Testmap: Bloodsport, crate object 810 has loot flinders.
    Checked it again in 1.18. It's the same as in ND. Should have checked it myself.
    Last edited by Unna Oertdottir; 13th Mar 2018 at 04:07.

If you want corpse or finderize linked loot to be counted from the get go, just create concrete loot somewhere the player can't reach (say in a green room), and then link to it. It will be counted in the loot total, but not be available until the host is destroyed.

I wanted to fix the loot count in Bloodsport with a dml. My testers complained about this. But since this is an original flaw, I let it be. I was thinking about removing the (loot) flinders on the crates and create the loot on sim start instead, but that's too much work.

In Secret Connections (Thief Gold) there are a couple of places that whenever I try to enter the game crashes.
    This is one of them. I don´t remember the other one at the moment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y55...ew?usp=sharing

Don't play fan missions with your own custom resources.

Zombified
    looks like NecroAge, which should be pretty ok to use with FMS afaik. does it crash when you disable it?

also, set CrashDump=4 in lg.ini to produce full crashdumps, those are always better when trying to figure things out.

// checked, and NecroAge is ok, so you must be loading something else as well - the faulty model's name is bedroll.bin, see if you have it somewhere in your custom resources.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 13th Mar 2018 at 18:33.

Voodoo47:

I don´t use Necroage. My Thief installation is of my "own creation" with different textures (all of them power of two) and objects.
    I´ve installed and modified around 70 missions (Thief1/Gold) and changed/added textures in nearly every mission and there are only two that I get a crash with: Secret Connections and Trial by Night (near the starting point in a house with a noble sleeping if I climb up a ladder into an attic). Only those two.
    And in this particular case the crash is at random because maybe 1 or 2 times out of ten the mission won´t crash. Strange.
    I´ve been mucking around with the obj folder from the mission and there are two suspect bin files for me (drape2 and fence)
    Drape2 I had to add two missing textures although they seem to be invisible if you don´t add them.
    You also have my bedroll.bin object which is located in RES folder and is the one that I always use.
    Also crah dump at is largest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p2d...ew?usp=sharing

Zombified
    I'm very, very sure that the bedroll.bin object has that bug that makes the game crash if the mission applies scale on it, which is exactly the case here. post the file and I'll check.

I'm very, very sure that the bedroll.bin object has that bug that makes the game crash if the mission applies scale on it, which is exactly the case here. post the file and I'll check.
    Thanks sir, that solved the problem.
    Using the original object.bin file won´t make the game crash.
    Now, could you please take a look at Trial by Night?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S5O...ew?usp=sharing

You put custom stuff into RES? Don't touch it.
    This is messed up. I recommend a clean install for FMs.

Zombified
    the second flawed model is candle1.bin, pretty sure you are using the early vhotted candle pack which had this problem. updating to the latest should solve the issue.

also, do you know from where did you download that broken bedrol object?

the second flawed model is candle1.bin, pretty sure you are using the early vhotted candle pack which had this problem. updating to the latest should solve the issue.

also, do you know from where did you download that broken bedrol object?
    Thanks again.
    That solved the problem (downloaded candle1 from system shock)

I don´t remember from where I downloaded those two files but both have similar dates 24/25th November 2013.

One more question, intclois.bin file (28th August 1998) has a texture PORTDET but which texture is the one with the square patterns that gives shape to the porticullis?
    It´s not in the game resources... hardcoded in the .bin file? Just would like to place a different and better texture for those bars.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIr...ew?usp=sharing

Zombified
    I'm not quite sure what are you trying to say, try to rephrase - the model looks fine as far as I can tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast