TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Dark bug reports

New Dark bug reports

Post bugs, problems, questions, etc. about New Dark here. If you're lucky, a solution may magically appear.

It's been mentioned other places, but crouching while on a crate (or any sphere hat model?) doesn't work with new_mantle.

Dromed hangs when mono_console is on and I call MPrintf from ScriptModuleInit. I haven't tested to see if it hangs when called from a script message. With the console off and logging to a file, there's no hang. (I miss having debug symbols in Dromed. How about including a PDB in the next release?)

Movies don't play well on a Pentium 3 (450MHz 384MB, GeForce MX 4000 64MB, any resolution)

It would be nice to have an option that turns off the FM selector so I don't have to keep hitting "skip" when I start Dromed.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    Movies don't play well on a Pentium 3 (450MHz 384MB, GeForce MX 4000 64MB, any resolution)

Zombified
    I doubt anything plays well on that machine. anyway, as far as I know, the issue with not being able to crouch on crates is not really connected to new_mantle, people have reported issues no matter whether it's on or off.

It would be nice to have an option that turns off the FM selector so I don't have to keep hitting "skip" when I start Dromed.
    you could ofcouse disabled it the same way you enabled it in cam_mod.ini (;Fm)

but i wonder why you should want to disable it.

I did have a seperate install for every fm 'm working on. now I have just one "workinstall". in the Fms folder I have several folders for the fm's I'm working on. ( with the custom goodies for each FM)
    Hitting dromed I can choose which FM I'm gonna work on. If, for some reason, I want to use a vanilla thief I hit skip..
    working great, esp. when you keep your saves in the same folder as the fm
    If you choose an Fm in the selector dromed starts and when you choose open from the menu, it will actualle open in that very folder.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    the issue with not being able to crouch on crates is not really connected to new_mantle,
    Indeed. It appears not to be connected to new_mantle, or the new climbable dismount system, as it happens with both disabled.

Zombified
    btw, this topic will get long and messy real soon I bet - setting up one more sticky and locked topic where only confirmed and verified bugs would be posted by mods (sort of a makeshift bugtracker) may be preferable. the chit-chat would be kept here.

It might be a good idea to set up a proper bug tracker for this.

The only problem is, who would administer it?
    In normal bug tracking systems, the developers comment on bugs and mark them as duplicate / open / resolved / closed.
    Since we don't actually know who the developer(s) of New Dark are (and he/she/they presumably wish to stay that way), I guess some dedicated person would have to volunteer to manage the thing (weeding out duplicates, and marking bugs as resolved if they are fixed in a new updated patch?)

You could create a shortcut using thief2.exe -fm and then comment out the fm-line in cam_mod.ini. That way you can easily start the selector if you want to, but have it not start by default by running the executable.

Dromed hangs when mono_console is on and I call MPrintf from ScriptModuleInit. I haven't tested to see if it hangs when called from a script message. With the console off and logging to a file, there's no hang. (I miss having debug symbols in Dromed. How about including a PDB in the next release?)
    I haven't really done much with scripts in NewDark yet, but I did quickly test NVSpy, which outputs to the monolog via DebugPrintf() (e.g. MPrintf), and that seemed to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousCallersOnly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I doubt anything plays well on that machine.
    Darn kids. Get off my lawn!

Really, that was my work machine until 2008, and by Thief standards it's a "speed demon". We're spoiled now with gigabytes of RAM and multiple cores. But my point is that it's much slower than the Ligos codec. I'm not surprised, FFMpeg is a notorious sloth since the developers focus more on portability than efficiency.

I'd prefer to be able to use the DirectShow. It would continue to use Ligos under XP and everyone else we tell to install LAVFilters.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    You could create a shortcut using thief2.exe -fm and then comment out the fm-line in cam_mod.ini. That way you can easily start the selector if you want to, but have it not start by default by running the executable.
    Yeah, that's what I should do. Working on scripts means having to restart Dromed repeatedly and that extra step is an annoyance. Perhaps what is really needed is a config file that is only read by the game executable, not Dromed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I haven't really done much with scripts in NewDark yet, but I did quickly test NVSpy, which outputs to the monolog via DebugPrintf() (e.g. MPrintf), and that seemed to work just fine.
    I think it only happens during ScriptModuleInit.

I don't think this is a real bug, but there's a "feature" that the PATH environment variable gets the FM directory added to it so LoadLibrary can find helper modules. But if you put an OSM in the UberModDir, it won't find libraries there. But it may not be worth fixing as OSMs should get in the habit of loading libraries with a full path.

And I was playing Flying Age and noticed that weather effects still bleed into indoor areas. That's been a longstanding bug and it would be nice if someone could look into it.

Zombified
    Really, that was my work machine until 2008, and by Thief standards it's a "speed demon".
    nope. the mx4000 was sh!t at any given point. some versions even had a 32bit memory bus - that's like trying to drive a car that has square wheels (and an anchor). throw some ebay 800-1000MHz cpu on it (they should be like 1-5$) and some equally expensive graphics card (geforce2-4 or radeon7500-9550 with full 128bit memory bus) and watch how things start to move. I keep one legacy machine for fun stuff (p3 1GHz, 512MB sdram, radeon 9100), it can run NewDark decently, including the vids.
    I'd prefer to be able to use the DirectShow. It would continue to use Ligos under XP and everyone else we tell to install LAVFilters.
    the vid dll source is included, isn't it?
    Last edited by voodoo47; 11th Oct 2012 at 08:33.

Yeah, that's what I should do. Working on scripts means having to restart Dromed repeatedly and that extra step is an annoyance. Perhaps what is really needed is a config file that is only read by the game executable, not Dromed.
    I would instead suggest adding the possibility to manually turn it off per executable (DromEd.exe/Thief2.exe) (if the shortcut solution is not enough!?). I use the new FM loader to manage my WIPs so that I can easily load them in DromEd from the same instance (all mission-specific data are stored in a separate folder somewhere else).

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed
    And I was playing Flying Age and noticed that weather effects still bleed into indoor areas. That's been a longstanding bug and it would be nice if someone could look into it.
    Did you reprocess the mission in 1.19 before playing?

so LoadLibrary can find helper modules. But if you put an OSM in the UberModDir, it won't find libraries there. But it may not be worth fixing as OSMs should get in the habit of loading libraries with a full path.
    Wouldn't it work if the library files were looked up with Engine->FindFileInPath? It appears to work ok in version.osm.

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    Wouldn't it work if the library files were looked up with Engine->FindFileInPath? It appears to work ok in version.osm.
    FindFileInPath didn't exist before New Dark. version.osm uses the paths in darkinst.cfg to find scripts, but is unaware of FMs or cam_mod.ini.

Sorry, I meant like in the updated version.osm in the Bathory thread.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    When I converted my mission to v1.19 my motion database-conversations quit working. I dont really consider this a bug, just probably scripting I dont know of. I should just be able to reload the database.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone yet, but I went to open dromed 1.19 tonight and I got this error:

You have no write access to the game directory. DromEd will not function properly.

After I hit ok, dromed loads just fine. I'm worried though. I noticed that the thief directory didn't have permissions set under the security tab for my windows account. So I went ahead and added them (even though I'm already an administrator and logged in as one.) I even tried right clicking and running as administrator. Still happens.

Oh, and I'm using the sunlight fix dromed exe

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I don't know if this has happened to anyone yet, but I went to open dromed 1.19 tonight and I got this error:

You have no write access to the game directory. DromEd will not function properly.

After I hit ok, dromed loads just fine. I'm worried though. I noticed that the thief directory didn't have permissions set under the security tab for my windows account. So I went ahead and added them (even though I'm already an administrator and logged in as one.) I even tried right clicking and running as administrator. Still happens.

Oh, and I'm using the sunlight fix dromed exe
    Lady Rowena reported the same issue in this thread (see the bottom of the first page):
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140148
    It looks like she eventually got it sorted out. Some people had ideas about what might have caused it.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    It happened when I copied the whole already installed Thief 2 from a backup DVD.
    Then I made a proper installation fom the originals cds and the problem went away. I made even a copy of this new installation, and renamed the folder (this one is for Dromed) without any problem.
    I'm still wondering why it happened though.

I would assume that the message means what it says, that something is locking the directory. Did you try rebooting? You could also try Unlocker.

It does't really mean anything except some standards dumbfuckery. You see, cdroms, aka ISO-9600, are a *read-only* filesystem. As such to perserve the operating copies to 'work the same way', when copies are made from some dumb programs, the files are set to read only. If you zip the data you're archiving you can avoid this.

Well, the odd thing is I'm pretty sure it didn't happen the first time I booted up dromed 1.19. However, now it does it all the time. I'm not sure what I've done that would make it start to occur. In any case, I guess I need to install from the discs.. But what confuses me is why that would be a solution? Is it because of the windows registry keys that a proper install creates?

Ah, I know what caused it now. It's the same issue as Lady Rowena from that other thread- I changed the icon. Curse you windows 7. Guess I'll have to keep the default icon for the folder since it worked after changing it back.

@Larry: I've used Unlocker before, in fact I have it. It didn't find anything locked with that directory.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 16th Oct 2012 at 18:50.

Dont know if its a bug or if i missed something
    But when i try to save nothing happens, no window popups,
    no save successful, no fail message.

I think you need to install the DromEd Toolkit or at least all the cmd-files which are shipped together with it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast