TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Grunt Texture Pack ( NewDark )

Thanks again for your great work Purgator, it helped a lot with the visuals of the new version of 4th Planet!

Any time Indy! I was glad to help out on your epic re-make of 4th planet!

I can't get Mechbots.zip, the mediafire link is broken. EDIT: Woops, I see Sensut has included the mechbots in his demo zip. Nevermind!

I noticed the mechanists you made are shiny. What's up with that?

Secondly, I don't mean to be rude, but it'd really benefit everyone if you changed the title of this thread to something more generic. (That sounds silly, but I feel like this title is too specific.) No one will look in this thread for AIs other than the grunt ones. Perhaps a new title like "AI texture packs - Grunts, and others" or something along those lines. I just happened to stumble upon this thread recently and discovered a bunch of new models.

Also, it should be more clear how to use these. If it wasn't for Sensut's explanation in one of the posts here I'd be at a loss without having the .bin/.cal files because I wouldn't know how to use these skins. Well, that's not completely true, I would have just copied some bin files, but Sensut's method makes more sense.

Regardless of all of the above, thanks for the new AI skins!
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 19th Jun 2013 at 15:21. Reason: Sensut's demo zip

No, you're not being rude. You've made some good points in fact. I hadn't planned to go any further than Grunts initially, but I had a few requests to do other types of skins and it snowballed a bit. Ib was just recycling this thread for the new packs.
    Shiny Mechanists? Just thought they might look good, that's all. Just a personal taste I guess, not everyone likes them, I'm well aware of that (I read the other forums) but as with all of these skins; take them or leave them.
    Sensut has been a great help and has explained things far better than I could have done.
    But I do agree a resource should be more clear to those who wish to utilise it. A fair point well made.
    I'm glad you like the skins.
    Last edited by Purgator; 19th Jul 2013 at 20:15.

As suggested by Brethren, a Pagan Pack.
    Pack Includes:
    8 Mountain Pagans (4 Archers/4 Swordsmen)
    10 Forest Pagans (5 Archers/5 Swordsmen)

NewPaganArmy.zip

Just skins in this pack, just reskin to suit.
    Archer Model: archer01: Original texture/gif: archer01.
    Swordsman Model: arhswd01 : Original texture/gif: arcswd01.

Mountain Pagans inspired by metal dawn's winter pagans/Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Purgator; 7th Jul 2017 at 17:37.

Cool! Thank you.

Nice!...Pagan Fighters, with regional variation!

Thanks Purg, you're the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    So, the Pagans are preparing for war.
    The Trickster Eye belt buckles are a nice touch. And you've just solved a plot hole in my mission, so thanks!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    These look fantastic! I'm halfway inspired to update DryCo with these models.... wish they'd been around then, but thanks nevertheless.

Glad you like them guys! Thanks!
    I would be delighted to help out in any future projects, Yandros.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Awesome work Purgator, as always! Too bad that I just finished to reskin my pagans yesterday...

Do you plan to make any thieves in the future?

A "Taffer Pack" would round out the collection, very nicely!...

For all skins in general:
    The clothes are very good, but the faces have a strange waxy look to them. I had a go at adding some subtle noise to one of the guard textures but it just made him look like he'd been down a coal mine.

Some variation on thieves would be great!

Purgator, I have an unusual request. Could you make versions of the red grunts you made without the yellow logo on their chests? Also, could you make some more grunt archers with various colors? Purple and black for example? I don't know if you're taking requests, so I'm sorry if this is out of line. I really like that one grunt you have in one of the packs that is wearing black clothes. Actually, I think it was a cop with a black uniform.

Why can't Pagans sew with small even stitches? They just follow another religion, they're not incompetent or crude ... would those green outfits actually be practical in a forest? No female pagans? Sorry, but on reflection these seem to be flaws in otherwise well done skins.

It seems to me that Purg wishes to use thick leather lacing for that more rugged look and feel...I like it...Female Pagans would be welcome, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Why can't Pagans sew with small even stitches? They just follow another religion, they're not incompetent or crude ...
    The Amish have religious tenets that did/do limit the sorts of fasteners used on clothing, so it's not unprecedented. Come to think of it, they also live a low-tech lifestyle in separated communities that are closer to the earth. And speak a distinct dialect of a modern language. And yet their theology is in many ways diametrically opposed to the Pagans'... Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Why can't Pagans sew with small even stitches? They just follow another religion, they're not incompetent or crude ...
    I had actually used the big stitches as a motif, connecting the old pagan skins to mine, my new textures didn't have them originally. Maybe giant "feck off" stitches are a part of their religion?
    I will rustle up some female pagans though, practically attired, of course!

I will certainly give a "Taffer" pack a go too, and more Grunts are on the way (I will throw in some Heraldry free skins too)!

Quote Originally Posted by kdau View Post
    The Amish have religious tenets that did/do limit the sorts of fasteners used on clothing, so it's not unprecedented. Come to think of it, they also live a low-tech lifestyle in separated communities that are closer to the earth. And speak a distinct dialect of a modern language. And yet their theology is in many ways diametrically opposed to the Pagans'... Hmm.
    The Amish do beautiful hand stitching. Just because you do something by hand doesn't mean that it has to be crudely done. In fact, hand crafted things are often better crafted than the mass produced machine manufactured. I have some old Amish quilts where the stitching is practically invisible, much better than machine stitched. I just think that those huge stitches would not work in practice and that pagans would take more pride in making their attire.

Take a look at this, the clothing is "crude" but the stitching is tiny.
    Last edited by LarryG; 17th Jul 2013 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    ... but the faces have a strange waxy look to them..
    Initially, I had tried more Hi-Res textures for my skins but the old Thief 2 models don't really like 'em all that much.
    You do get a lot of distortion in certain areas of the old meshes and you get some nasty effects where Hi-Res meets old Lo-Poly. My skins may appear muted or blurry (or waxy) in certain areas but I have been aiming for a particular style, one that would complement the models rather than hi-lighting their weaknesses. Hair, I tend to keep very low- key, more so than the originals.
    The faces are smoother, I've tried to introduce Hi-Lights/shading to them to emulate muscle/bone structure where there obviously isn't. They're artistic devices really (in my particular style) just to add areas of contrast and distinction between clothing, skin and hair. Artistic devices are, of course, in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Purgator; 19th Jul 2013 at 20:13. Reason: poor spelling

There's a transexual in Sensut demo

Quote Originally Posted by Apiai View Post
    There's a transexual in Sensut demo
    Opps, never seemed to me Well, equal rights for everyone!

Some new "Taffers" on the block, and an old friend.
    I've made a little demo mission to show them off, nothing fancy mind you, so no sniggering please.

Thieves.zip
    Last edited by Purgator; 7th Jul 2017 at 17:38.

Great!

Edit:

While testing your demo, I noticed two problems with two of the AIs. On the one female AI near the beginning with a ponytail, there seems to be a problem with the seams or the breaks in the geometry on her face. It's not really noticeable from a distance, but if you get up close to her, well, it just looks odd. Not a big deal, but thought I'd point it out.

Secondly, there's a thief who's in a locked cell with a ponytail and purple clothing. His ponytail has a bit of his face texture on it.

Also, looks like Garrett may have a twin (The guy standing in front of the coin purse, heh.)
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 7th Aug 2013 at 20:24.

Oops. I'll fix that.
    Edit:
    Had a look at her face, tried to realign the texture to suit but it looks worse. Just one of those models I guess.
    The two dudes in the cell aren't pointing to my textures (seriously bad editing I'm afraid). Hmmm, missed that.
    Model thiefM02 has the texture ThifM01, my replacement is ThifM04, which is in the pack. Prison10 is in the pack also,
    again, as an alternative texture for model thiefM02.
    I'm sorry for the mess. Re-cap: ThifM04/Prison10 are alternative textures for the thiefM02 model (ponytail thief).
    The Garrett skin is for those who want him as a character in their mission, as opposed to the protagonist. In the obj folder there's a reverse Garrett for the CameraGrenade. I based the Garrett face on someone very close to us all, or tried to, at the very least.
    Last edited by Purgator; 8th Aug 2013 at 17:31.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast