TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grimoire: The greatest vapourware Wizardry clone ever made

Why in the hell did he put that on indieGoGo and not Kickstarter? No wonder he didn't get funding back in 2012. He'd have got the money almost definitely. The whole appeal of Kickstarter is the backing of games from genres/types that the big companies would never back due to those types of games having died out. This is totally up that alley.

As a HUGE fan of the Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic series's of games, I would totally play this. That said I've had Legends of Grimlock 1 & 2 on my todo list for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    That said I've had Legends of Grimlock 1 & 2 on my todo list for ages.
    Skip 1. Make 2 a high priority - it's excellent. The stories are unconnected.

Moderator and Priest
    What Pyrian said. Grimrock 2 is an awesome, awesome game. If you loved all those oldschool dungeon crawlers, you really have no excuse not to play it.

Though I wouldn't write Grimrock 1 off entirely. It's still a great game, just not nearly as good as its beyond excellent sequel.

So basically like Eye of The Beholder 2, over the first game. Big improvement, whilst not taking all of the shine away from the original.

Moderator and Priest
    Kinda, yeah. But even moreso.

Grimrock 2. Man, if you're a fan of that style of gameplay, it really had everything going for it. Massive open maps. Tough fights. Clever puzzles. Secrets galore. Hell, I might go so far as to say that it did such a good job representing the genre, it may not ever be topped.

...not to overhype it too much, of course.

It was too hard for me, the combat that is. I really liked Grimrock 2 but could only get so far before getting frustrated with combat. But it is an amazing game apart from that.

Classical Master 2008
    Why in the hell did he put that on indieGoGo and not Kickstarter? No wonder he didn't get funding back in 2012. He'd have got the money almost definitely. The whole appeal of Kickstarter is the backing of games from genres/types that the big companies would never back due to those types of games having died out. This is totally up that alley.
    Kickstarter wasn't available in Australia yet in 2012 (they got there in 2013). To put things into perspective, it is still not available in Hungary - you have to establish a project company in Germany or wherever to launch a campaign, or you are out of luck.

As a HUGE fan of the Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic series's of games, I would totally play this. That said I've had Legends of Grimlock 1 & 2 on my todo list for ages.
    Contrary to other people, I'd suggest Grimrock 1 over Grimrock 2, especially for a start. It is a smaller, simpler but better focused experience (and the unlockable "Toorum mode" is a ton of fun - very different from the baseline). Many of Grimrock 2's puzzles were too obscure for their own good, and I found that it was too easy to make a mistake in character building that'd really compromise your party's effectiveness.

Anyway, Grimoire is more like Wizardry (particularly VI and VII), and pretty different from either of the Grimrocks. Try the superdemo to see what the fuss is all about.

I'd recommend trying on Kickstarter in that case, unless you have the funding you require. Or on Fig which is pretty good too.

And yes I've changed my tune on Fig *grumbles*.

I really kinda wanna see this come out... I've no interest in playing it, but come on, '95? I think that's before I got my first 486, it has to see the light.

Plus, it might serve as a good model for what Star Citizen fans can expect in the 2030s.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Kinda, yeah. But even moreso.

Grimrock 2. Man, if you're a fan of that style of gameplay, it really had everything going for it. Massive open maps. Tough fights. Clever puzzles. Secrets galore. Hell, I might go so far as to say that it did such a good job representing the genre, it may not ever be topped.

...not to overhype it too much, of course.
    Grimrock 2 was fine, but the pinnacle of the Dungeon Master clone genre is still Lands of Lore for me. Although, arguably, the original Dungeon Master games themselves remain unsurpassed.

Well, it made it, got greenlit over Easter. Release date has been announced for May 29th.

Nice work

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Grimrock 2 was fine, but the pinnacle of the Dungeon Master clone genre is still Lands of Lore for me. Although, arguably, the original Dungeon Master games themselves remain unsurpassed.
    I only played a bit of Lands of Lore. I have to admit, it did seem pretty interesting.

That's something I should try and fire up on my tablet one of these days.

Try any of the Might and Magic games from the 3rd entry (Isles of Terra) to the 5th game (Darkside of Xeen). Those games are fantastic. After that things were moved in more 3D direction, which are still quite good, but I dunno. They lose some of that magic along the way in the transition.

Just thought I would post that its on steam now with a release date of July 7th.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Whatever happened with Cleve's legal fight with the developers who put out that other Grimoire game?

The first review is in! ... oh

Hmm.

There's always going to be a few bugs in the first big release.

Though the error could have been displayed better.

Chakat sex pillow
    I agree, it should have at least been in keeping with the game fiction.

'Rogue Array has been intercepted by an Ambulatory Sphincter! Sphincter squelches gastric juice at it for 5 damage!
    Rogue Array is incensed! Rogue Array divides by zero!
    '

YOUR PARTY HAS BEEN WIPED OUT. RESTART (Y/N)

I recall even back in uni being taught about assert error tracking (code wise) so that you could display a more organized error than just what we got above.

With that said, even bigger companies like Blizzard have been guilty of similar errors, with that error 37 that was very un-descriptive.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, makes sense with a team and also if you want to unravel your own spaghetti-code. I suspect ol' Cleve doesn't mind taking all the time in the world to do a step-trace through every single line of code, though. Matter of fact, that'd explain quite a bit.

Classical Master 2008
    Cleve has already fixed those initial bugs, and added his characteristic comments on Homo Sapiens in the news update. For all his reputation, ha had also fixed the bugs in the original demo very quickly, and seems to be doing the same right now.

I have been playing the 2013 superdemo in anticipation of the release, and I stand by my comments on the earlier, smaller demo. Additional remarks:
    • The superdemo allegedly contains only a small chunk of the game. This is impressive because in these days, it'd make for a full game and then some. I got about a months' worth of play out of it, and was apparently very close to the end by the time I was done. It is properly big.
    • In the tradition of Wizardry VI (Bane of the Cosmic Forge), there are dungeons that open up into other, deeper dungeons. What looks like a small side area suddenly blows up into a separate wilderness section that has exits to other mini-dungeons. The feeling of discovery is tremendous, and you constantly feel like unearthing cool secrets and small details.
    • Character building is a lot of fun; leveling up isn't quick, but there is a good sense of progression through the superdemo. When you start mopping up enemies which had massacred you previously, or get your hands on a good piece of equipment, it feels really good. Some of the random loot chests are fairly samey, but that may have been fixed in the final.
    • Something you couldn't appreciate that much in the original demo is the puzzle design. Some of it works counterintuitively WRT the user interface (which is very old-school, and takes some learning to get used to), but it is all in the classical tradition - challenging, but fair and very satisfying when you figure something out. I was stuck only twice during my playthrough (once due to UI-related shenanigans, and once due to a bug that needed me to reload a save).
    • It is in this tradition of fantasy that's part fairy tales and myth, part AD&D and Gary Gygax (some of it via D.W. Bradley), and part colourful, idiosyncratic fun. It doesn't do the mud filter thing, and it is not grim and gritty. It has a sense of wonder that doesn't feel fake or ironic.

All in all, this is the real deal. It is not a nostalgic look back into a certain style of gaming, and it isn't part of the indie pixel retro scene, it is an authentic experience that could at one time have been Wizardry 7.5. I suppose the market for that kind of game isn't very big, but by God, those of us who wanted another game in that tradition got a real treat. A rough gem, but a gem.

ZylonBane
    What the hell is all that babbling about "Sapiens" and brainpower percents? Does he always talk like that?

Moderator and Priest
    Like every oddball you meet on the internet, it's hard to tell whether he's bullshitting everyone for attention, or if he's entirely sincere.

It's usually safer to assume the latter, I find.