TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grimoire: The greatest vapourware Wizardry clone ever made

Classical Master 2008

Grimoire: The greatest vapourware Wizardry clone ever made

If you were born the same year Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant was released, you would be old enough to vote, drive and drink in most countries. If you were born the same year development started on Grimoire, you wouldn't be able to do most of this, but you would be pretty close. That's because Grimoire is not just an indie game based on the style, ideas and mechanics of Wizardry VII, it is also an indie game that
    • has been in development for over 17 years;
    • has been designed by someone who owns an actual, operational fallout shelter, and believes we are heading for global thermonuclear war and/or an NWO takeover;
    • has been an object of ridicule on RPGCodex so long the vendetta between the author and the community has devoved into a love-hate relationship, which has devolved into a vendetta again. Multiple times. Also, Grimoire
    • is apparently one of those immense, complex RPGs which aren't being made anymore. Maybe there is a reason for that. But that doesn't matter for Grimoire.

I first remember reading about Grimoire shortly after the first time I got on the Internet, in an interview with game designer and survivalist Cleve Blakemore. I was absolutely blown away by the idea of a game that would out-Wizardry Wizardry VII. Larger. More complex. More interactive. More crazy.

It is now something like 15 years later, and Grimoire has an active IndieGoGo campaign and a release date.

Oh yeah. And something else.

It has this video pitch, which I think everyone ought to check out for that special brand of crazy only a shunned RPG developer who has worked on a vanity project for the last two decades out of a fallout shelter can provide. It is, by itself, a work of art. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Grimoire:

Yeah. I think I will end up breaking down and buying a copy. Yes, I know it is about as wise as nosediving into a shark tank while holding onto a raw steak. Yes, I understand this thing has blown more deadlines than Duke Nukem Forever. Yes, I understand all your fancy 'risks' and 'challenges'. Yes, I understand the author believes himself to be a highly evolved Neanderthal. Yes, it is fairly possible all the money will go towards the purchase of ammo and canned beans. Still. This is it. This is the game I have always wanted to exist. This shit has got to be real.

I want my dreams, damnit!

I love the video pitch and the fact that it's 20 minutes of a voice telling you how epic and fantastic it is wile showing off the oldschool graphics.

Administrator
    I love the pitch - clearly he knows it's been an obsession that's been going on far too long but he's determined to bring it to an end. At least he appears happy to make fun of himself and the situation and I'm tempted to pitch in even though I know I will probably never play even half of his game world.

Is this an elaborate troll job? It actually looks like it's been made by someone who's been living in a fallout shelter for the past two decades, not realizing games have evolved in this outside world.

Man I would've sold my soul for this game 17 years ago. Nowadays I'm not sure I have the time for such an epic adventure but I think I might get it anyway. $250,000 though?? That seems outrageous for new animations and cinematics for such an old-school game.

The idea of a modern Wizardry VII tribute would excite me the way Grimrock did most others here.

But this isn't a modern retro-styled game of course, rather something that's sat in development since the 90s, and looks it. I'm still kinda curious tho.
    Last edited by Chimpy Chompy; 19th Oct 2012 at 04:41.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    Man I would've sold my soul for this game 17 years ago. Nowadays I'm not sure I have the time for such an epic adventure but I think I might get it anyway. $250,000 though?? That seems outrageous for new animations and cinematics for such an old-school game.
    Yeah, when I saw the first released screenshots, I remember saying to myself, 'This looks so good.' That was some time ago. But really, the number one thing against buying this is not just the risk, but time. Do I have 600 hours to play this, even if it's so good it'll blow my socks off?

Cleve Blakemore, Lord of Jackasses

This guy is such a jerk, I wouldn't even throw him a rope if he's drowning in quicksand. He's one of the archetypal internet trolls. Right now, he's on the Shaker kickstarter forums bashing the people at LootDrop. Only a lunatic would back Grimoire. Cleve belongs in an asylum...heavily medicated.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wow, that video is a...classic? I would like to play the game though, hopefully he's serious about releasing in May.

This interests me. Though I've been on a old rpg kick lately. Mostly because I could never get games like ultima underworld and pool of radiance working properly on my old 286.

Honestly he's going on like crazy about all the monsters and items but when they have like three frames a piece max its not really that impressive. I think he spent too much time trying to build it up in an incorrect manner. I hope the guy's storytelling in game is better than his pitch. If not its hard to see why he wasted his time.

Cleve... never changes.

BTW; Cleve has a character named after him in Jagged Alliance 2. Mine operator in Alma IIRC.
    Check it out it's fun if you know his history.

BTW:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...ankrupt.53695/

(read until the end... or not - this is not a isolated incident).

I can't believe I just read all 38 pages of that.

Classical Master 2008
    There is a new demo video on Youtube showing the game in 1024x768. It looks quite the thing; Wizardry in high-res.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    There is a new demo video on Youtube showing the game in 1024x768. It looks quite the thing; Wizardry in high-res.
    High res? Maybe by 1998 standards.

That's an apt description of this entire product, actually.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think that's the point - just in case you missed it.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    High res? Maybe by 1998 standards.
    Here is Cleve's own response to a similar question (from Youtube):
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve Blakemore
    There's nothing to defend. The graphics for Grimoire are mindbogglingly beautiful.

This is a game for monocle wearing connoisseurs of win and excellence. Decline and fail has no place here.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousCallersOnly View Post
    New developments in the thread

A auction of sirtech assets is in progress: Anus monster and bestiality in original sir-tech concept art confirmed. Much lulz to be had.

Also, Cleve resignation letter.

Classical Master 2008
    Although slightly^H^H^H^H^H a bit^H^H rather^H^H^H^H quite late compared to the promised November/early December date, we have got a public demo of this thing and I have played it a few hours! So here are my impressions so far:
    • this release (v1.2) doesn't like Windows 7. It crashed on my Win7 PC incessantly. However, trying it on an XP machine, it turned out to be rock solid with not a single bug tomention. It seems the old code has some sort of clash with the way Win7 handles permissions for system access. Otherwise...
    • essentially a charming, idiosynchratic take on Wizardry VII (which was strange enough) that feels genuinely nice to play;
    • some honestly good writing;
    • graphics out of the 90s; not high-res, but handcrafted and colourful in ways rarely seen;
    • wandering NPCs;
    • Wizardry's complex rules return with classes, spells, skills and multiclassing up the wazoo;
    • you can find a lot of different objects even during the demo;
    • starting characters are slightly stronger than in W7, but there are some relentlessly brutal battles in there;
    • during play, I killed hostile flowers, met a fairy, got one of my characters killed by a fish, explored two dungeons, rode on a boat in a dungeon, and even got to meet the dreaded Shiva-Han-Goromu and his team, who ended up fucking massacring me.

If I wanted to express it in one word, that word would be 'charming'. I'm feeling better about the $100 I spent on this. You, too, can support Neanderthal survivalists who are really good at blowing deadlines, and apparently also making games... in the NEW INDIEGOGO CAMPAIGN!

Screenshots:

I'm pretty sure that's not a squirrel.

FWIW, there's no such thing as an excess of ammo or canned beans.

Classical Master 2008
    Aaaaand now there is a Steam Greenlight campaign!

No, seriously. There is. And there is a new promo video!

Is the world prepared for a new era of win and excellence? Will a great vapourware saga that has been more than 20 years in the making finally reach its conclusion before the nuclear apocalypse? Can we finally have a retro-old-school-rpg where we can ride turtles?

...errr...

We do not know the answers yet! But it is surely exciting.

So is he just hanging out in his bunker waiting for the world to end so he can release this to other people stuck in bunkers with nothing to do for 10,000 years until the radiation dies down?

Classical Master 2008
    Considering the claims of over 600 hours of potentially playing time, that may not be far from the truth.

Although sadly, Cleve's last bunker had to be abandoned because of a toxic mould infestation.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Although sadly, Cleve's last bunker had to be abandoned because of a toxic mould infestation.
    This being the internet, and considering how crazy people have become as of late, it's hard to tell if you're being facetious, or totally po-faced here.