TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Contest 2012 - A Better Tomorrow (Nov/12/2012) - CHALLENGES

L'architecte de Rocksbourg

Halloween Contest 2012 - A Better Tomorrow (Nov/12/2012) - CHALLENGES

This is my entry to the Halloween Contest 2012. Better late than never
    The mission was made with Thief 2 V1.18, therefore it's compatible with any version of the game.

You can download the mission here :
    - Mediafire link
    - Thiefmissions link

ATTENTION : you should have an original and clean installation of the game. I recommend you uninstall graphic packs before playing this mission.
    The mission was designed to be played in black and white, any graphical pack would ruin the experience…

I tried to propose something a bit different from the usual thief gameplay. The main objective is to survive.

The mission is based on one of my previous missions, Greenbay. It's entirely in black and white, except for the skybox and the flares lights.

As soon as you enter the game, the very first thing to do is to listen to the victrola in front of you for a quick briefing about the situation. Then, it’s up to you…

Have fun

CHALLENGES :
    These challenges are mostly for replay value, and for fun. They are Easter Eggs
    It is recommended you finished the mission first before attempting these.

You must finish the mission as fast as possible, taking 0 damage and grabbing at least 3 bags of food and water supplies.
    BEST RUNS :
    - Florian - 4:13
    - DrK - 4:15
    - Firemage - 4:42 http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/351/dump034.png
    - Skacky - 5:12 http://imgur.com/81pA1

You must find all the loot in the mission, for a total of 2468.
    LOOT HUNTERS :
    - Firemage
    - Skacky
    - Ghostly

You must find the Taffer Award, it proves you like to explore beyond the limits.
    REAL TAFFERS :
    - SlyFoxx
    - Firemage
    - Skacky
    - Gnartsch
    - Sagittal
    - Nightwalker
    - Fen
    - Kaleid
    - Ghostly

You must find the Dark Grenades, to bring chaos in the streets of Greenbay and completely break the mission. It's time to hunt these monsters down.
    MISSION BREAKERS :
    - SlyFoxx
    - Firemage
    - Skacky
    - Nightwalker
    - Tannar
    - Fen
    - Kaleid
    - Ghostly

SPOILERS !
    If you are stuck, on the map below you can find the locations of the 10 bags of food and water supplies, as well as the rooftops where to find the easter eggs :
    http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q...poilersMap.jpg
    Last edited by DrK; 4th Dec 2012 at 13:40.

Congrats, DrK, looking forward to playing it.

I recommend having a change of underwear handy.

Congratulations, DrK! Really looking forward to this one.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Congrats Drk !

Thanks. Man, feels good to finally release something. I just realised it's been 4 years since I released my previous FM.

Four more years!

Slacker! I'm really looking forward to this, and the other two that have been released, now that I'm not confined to a download limit.

Okay everyone; drop everything you are doing and get this now!
    EDIT: Haha I didn't see, but I was going to use a very similar header image with the title on the lower-right hand corner for my FM release post. Guess I'll have to find something else now.

Oh damn, I'm only at the very beginning and already I refuse to make another step.
    Last edited by skacky; 12th Nov 2012 at 15:24.

OMG I can't wait to play this one. Congrats Drk!

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Haha I didn't see, but I was going to use a very similar header image with the title on the lower-right hand corner for my FM release post. Guess I'll have to find something else now.
    Les grands esprits se rencontrent
    Do the header image your way, just don't bother because someone had the same idea than you.

Heheh, okay.

Holy shit, I just love everything about this mission. After I fearfully noticed the invisible beast in the big sewer room could see me even IN PITCH DARKNESS while I was creep-crawling, I decided to make a mad dash for it and ended up fleeing from another thing afterwards. I finally made my way back to Greenbay, and now I just got out of a tenement house with a VERY creepy statue. This always scares the living shit out of me.

bikerdude
    This always scares the living shit out of me.
    Yeah, I had goosebumps fopr the first 20 mins of play.

As I said before, most of you taffer's quite don't fully realise just what you have let your selfs in for... This will quite literately goodly shock most people, I myself jumped in my chair and almost dropped the mouse on at least 2 occasions..

Yet again DrK has proved he is one of the undisputed Dromed master's of the art.

Last edited by bikerdude; 12th Nov 2012 at 16:49.

Teehee, this FM wins the scare-factor, even if the intro is insanely exposition-ridden.

Actually, is it the fact I feel at home in Greenbay a factor in how it might affect me differently? Because already some of the stuff that shoulda scared me didn't... But the one thing sure as hell does. You all know what that is.

Finished! 49 intense minutes, phew. You are absolutely evil, man. I was so freaking scared when I grabbed the last food bag (in the house with the heavy breathing, the appearing monster and the key), and then the ending is very much like the Dark Zone, I saw it coming miles away.

I grabbed 2136 of 2468 loot total, but I avoided staying in the sewers, so I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff there. Definitely a really awesome mission, hats off to you.

Thanks, glad you liked it

Albert, exposition-ridden ? I don't understand.
    Sorry to read it doesn't affect you that much. A scare sequence is always difficult to build, and can often fail depending on one's reaction.

and then the ending is very much like the Dark Zone, I saw it coming miles away.
    I knew a few of you would see it coming, but it's actually a bit worse than the Dark Zone

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Albert, exposition-ridden ? I don't understand.
    Er, I mean there was alot of exposition. In that most of the story feels a bit condensed at the start there (Also, did Garrett snap? Recording all of those events onto the record there) ...

But don't mind me, I have barely played the mission yet, as it is. I made it about as far as skacky to that house where there was that dead guy in the original Greenbay FM

Also, I'm rather busy, but I'm enjoying what I see so far. Too bad my water HD package gets in the way. :\

BANNED
    Downloading, thank you!

It's entirely in black and white

Awesome Atmosphere!

Thank you, i will play it.

Greetings!!! I wanted to salute you Dr.K. I will not forget your fantastic FMs, and please do not forget to get done your ANIR4!

How many moments playing Fms. Memories.

Have a good day Dr.k and good day for everyone!

While I was doing a little search for loot, I stumbled upon the Taffer Award and the Dark Grenades.

Just me, I think, but I'm struggling with this one - I seem to remember I had the same problem with Greenbay. I find the map a bit disorientating - especially in b&w.
    I cant find key to one of the buildings or key to what I think must be the exit door. I appear to have been all over including the roofs and tower top.

Also, I do want to iterate that two parts did scare me (And possibly because I was over-thinking them). Although the one thing that should scare me (The atmosphere of Greensbay) doesn't really do it... Yet. Again, I'm a bit busy today unfortunately, but we'll see how things go on my second venture into it.

Just finished the mission. The atmosphere is incredible. The best thing was the sound design: The beginning in the sewer was epic and reminded me of Amnesia. And the last part with the sirens was very Silent Hill alike. That was a good choice. That you donīt have weapons was also a good point.

There was one problem I have to mention:
    spoiler:
    In the library after getting the key I went down the elevator. The beast always spotted me and ran towards me. The first time it killed me. The second time it vanished right in front of me and the third time I was able to capture it: I waited till it ran on the elevator, than I sent the elevator upwards where it could not move any further.

@ frobin hood:
    spoiler:
    Look at your map. The library can be seen south east. The entrance is on the right side of the building. The Key can be found on the second floor. (Itīs very easy to miss this key because everything is black and white)

Thanks Dainem.
    I forgot how to get into the library, didn't think I could when the door was unfrobbable.

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations, DrK!

Totaly Awesome Drk This one is very scary Loved every minute of it !! When I thought I had the patrol routes figured out it seemed like the AI changed them?? Are they getting smarter or is this mission possesed

Thanks for a good scare!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast