TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Between These Dark Walls - New Dark [16 Nov 2012]

TG FM: Between These Dark Walls - New Dark [16 Nov 2012]

Hello taffers!

Draw your trusty blackjack, ready your good ol' rope arrows and prepare to lurk in the dark; my second mission, Between These Dark Walls, has been released, and you are in for some climbing!

This mission features large vertical areas, rooftop conspiracies and underground mysteries. While I was satisfied with Shadow Politics, I wanted to create a much, much more vertical, way bigger and much grittier FM, and thus Between These Dark Walls was born. Now that this FM is released, I can say without much doubt that it just demolishes my previous mission in every way you can and can't think of. Between These Dark Walls is not a sequel to Shadow Politics and takes place before the events of The Dark Project. The plot synopsis can be found below.

This FM is a Thief Gold mission. You can play it with TDP, but you WILL require the Thief Gold patch. This FM REQUIRES New Dark, and I doubt it will even launch without it due to too many polygons in view right off the bat. This is how I roll.

Download from Darkfate. Thanks clearing!
    Download from South Quarter. Thanks Brethren!
    Download from Thiefmissions. Thanks epithumia!
    Download Between These Dark Walls
    Download the Russian translation

Please note that due to how TG behaves with New Dark, Darkloader incorrectly identifies this FM as a T2 mission. Follow these steps if you want to load the FM with Darkloader:

1) Install the FM in your FM archive directory as usual.
    2) Launch Darkloader and select the FM, but don't launch the mission! Instead, close Darkloader once the FM is selected and shows the T2 gear icon.
    3) In your Darkloader directory, open the file named darkloader.ini
    4) Search for darkwalls, it should be at the very end of the file.
    5) Replace the line type=2 with type=1. Save and close the file.
    6) Launch Darkloader again and the FM should appear as a TG FM with the glorious Pagan eye! You're now ready to creep through the dark and gloomy cityscape of Newmarket!

This workaround is courtesy of bob_doe_nz.
    This mission takes place some time before the Dark Project.

"Things could potentially get messy tonight. I was on my way back home when
    some tough boys ambushed me. They weren't looking for money or anything, they
    just wanted to kill me right there in the street. Fortunately, I managed to
    run away unscathed, but these guys are still looking for me. I've managed to
    piece together something from rumours and hearsays; turns out Messer Beric, an
    usurer I've done jobs for in the past sold me out to Raputo, one of the City
    Wardens, in order to prove that he'll be loyal and pay his tributes. Apparently
    Beric's business collapsed with DeWall's demise, and now he seeks the protection
    of Raputo. Not to mention Beric's business was run right under Raputo's nose,
    but he was protected by DeWall at that time. In exchange for his 'good work',
    Beric received a priceless necklace as a reward, and keeps it stashed in his
    crumbling castle in Newmarket.

Now is time for some sweet revenge; I am going to steal Beric's necklace and
    humiliate him; that'll teach him never to double-cross me. I should also steal
    some valuables along the way, just to show Raputo how I deal with his reckless
    threats. Raputo doesn't like independents operating within his turf, so I'll make
    sure to plunder the neighbourhood. I got to be careful, though. With DeWall's
    downfall, The City became more dangerous than ever. Thugs and assassins are
    on the loose in the dark, and lawmen and Hammerites prowl the streets in search
    of heretics and criminals alike. Cragscleft has never been so full."
    Some notes:

- For obvious reasons, it is recommended you play this FM in dark conditions. This is a major part of the experience.
    - Given that this FM has a strong focus on verticality, keep one or two rope arrows with you at all times. Three additional rope arrows can be found on all difficulty levels.
    - Explore, explore, explore and see where the twisted rooftops of Newmarket take you.
    - Make sure to read everything you come across, hints and plot elements may be written somewhere.
    - Higher difficulty means less starting gear, less equipment to be found, a higher loot goal and more opponents. The main objective remains the same.
    - It is possible to Ghost this mission and get all the loot while doing so.

Have fun!
    Last edited by skacky; 16th Nov 2012 at 12:01.

Clearinghouse
    Congrats, skacky! Looking forward to playing it

edit: mirror
    Russian translation.
    Last edited by clearing; 16th Nov 2012 at 21:46.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Alright, kickin' it old school with Thief 1 - congrats on the release, skacky. Mirror time: Between These Walls.

Thiefmissions.com

Guess nobody sends these things to the mirrors any longer. Anyway, both the mission and the translation are up at thiefmissions: http://thiefmissions.com/m/BetweenTheseDarkWalls

I apologize epithumia, I forgot about Thiefmissions.
    This won't happen next time.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    That was fantastic !

The place is huge, and I spent most of the time looking up, making sure I didn't miss any spot for my rope arrows.
    Got 3446 loot out of 4000, looks like I did miss a few things anyway.

Great classic thief feel. I love the small gardens up there, and the keeper complex looks amazing ! Great work with the textures and architecture there.

The only small complaint I would make : there isn't much thing to do down in the streets.
    A couple more houses or shops to visit, only from the streets, would have been nice. But the mission still is awesome.

Btw, this place is begging for an easter egg

Finally a TG mission again - and even for NewDark!
    Thanks !

Awesome!! Downloading this right now

Thanks for the mission man, this was really incredible! This might be THE mission to show off New dark for a very long time- DEM ROOFTOP VIEWS. So freaking pretty.

Some things I especially liked:
    1. All of the references to other FMs. Being a gigantic nerd, things like a shared storyline really excite me. I spotted references to the "A Night in Rocksbourg" series, "Mystic Gems II" and "Finals at the Academy". I know there were more, but these were the ones I caught.
    2. Just looking up in the beginning and seeing all of the rope arrow possibilities. I = kid in candy store.
    3. The keeper library! My eyes are still recovering from continuously bulging out of my skull.

This is easily right up there with "Disorientation" as one of the best rooftop missions ever. Everyone download this...like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    I spotted references to the "A Night in Rocksbourg" series
    Really ? Where ?
    I noticed in the keeper compound, the round rooms have a rather similar architecture than my Soul compound, with the object to steal in its middle at the bottom. But I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or a reference...

Now that you mention it, I remember I saw the name Estobiaz in a readable in Shadow politics, which is the name of the mute guy from my second mission. Estobiaz with a Z doesn't exist in real life, it's written Estobias.

I believe the reference was in the note in Beric's secret study. It's talking about the amulet and says something along the lines of "I heard about something similar in Rocksbourg".

Lol DrK, consider yourself a real taffer too. I had to scratch my head real hard to figure out how the hell you went up there.
    Concerning the reference to Rocksbourg, Estobiaz in Shadow Politics was indeed a reference, but in this one, it is in Beric's ledger in his study. The shrine is more of a coincidence since I designed it after Calendra's Legacy's Darkwatch main tower in the first place, but in a more narrow fashion. There is a hidden reward in the vicinity too, if you can find it.

Thanks everyone for your compliments, and wow The Mike, this comparison truly means a lot to me.

Shit, how could I miss it !?

Edit : Found it, and it was so freakin obvious ! That'll teach me to not read properly.
    As english isn't my mothertongue, sometimes I skip a few lines in readables to only focus on eventual hints here and there...

Merci pour la reference

The reward, is it the gas arrow ?
    Last edited by DrK; 16th Nov 2012 at 17:14.

Oh my god !
    I have barely ever seen a more vertical mission then this one.
    Although I am far away from the end, and days away from having explored all areas, let me say this:

Children of the future, praise the Dawn of the New Age !
    Thou shalt never return to the OldDark.

Did not see the instructions above, the mission appeared as a Thief 2 game, and launched into "Running Interference".

Edited the darkloader.ini as described and launching into Thief 1, but now crashing to desktop before mission loads.

I tried , but there's no Darkwalls in my ini file

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hammerite View Post
    Did not see the instructions above, the mission appeared as a Thief 2 game, and launched into "Running Interference".
    Edited the darkloader.ini as described and launching into Thief 1, but now crashing to desktop before mission loads.
    You need New Dark/Thief Gold patched to 1.19 in order to launch the mission, otherwise it will not work.

Azaran, you need to follow the steps exactly. You have to select the FM in Darkloader at least once, so it shows the T2 gear icon next to the title, and close Darkloader in order for darkwalls to appear at the end of the .ini file. Then just follow the next steps and it should work. You can always launch the FM from the built-in FMSel if that still doesn't work.

And yup, the reward is the gas arrow.

Thank you for a great mission. Like your first mission I ghosted it right from the beginning. And I was not disappointed. Not as challenging as your first mission but still satisfactory. I only needed one moss arrow to collect some gold. I am still missing 900 Bucks.

What I liked:
    spoiler:
    1. The style and atmosphere of the mission was very Thief 1- like.
    2. I love the Keepers. And I love the idea that in Thief there could be a keeper compound everythere.
    3. The possible routes to the mansion were great. Reminded me of Dishonored.
    4. Rope arrows are the greatest thing about thief. I like interacting with the world and there is no better interacting than using a rope arrow to reach higher points. And in your mission this was done perfectly. Itīs so nice to be rewarded with some risky moves. Who needs Ezio Auditore? Using a bow has so much more style.
    5. I liked the little story elements. The guy who wrote the love letter, the pagan who spied this guy etc.
    One request for your next missions: please make this mission as ghostable as your others. Many fm builders donīt care about this.

And a question: Any chance to break into the hammerite compound? Or is it only decoration?

My mind has been blank lately, iīm playing on normal mode for two hours and i canīt seem to complete the first goal, where is this precious item that i must aquire?

By the way the mission is beautiful, this is my favourite style of missions ;-)

I went to your website and am quite impressed with your range of mission-building using several different editors (Half-Life, Team Fortress, etc.) I don't know how you can keep track.

I'm just curious as to why you don't author T2 maps. Unless you're going for the gritty feel of TG.

I have Thief 1 patched for Thief Gold.
    I have Thief New Dark installed.
    I followed the instructions about darkloader.ini.

With the T1 disk in the drive, I can select a difficulty level, but when I select Continue at the objectives screen, T1 crashes to desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I have Thief 1 patched for Thief Gold.
    I have Thief New Dark installed.
    I followed the instructions about darkloader.ini.

With the T1 disk in the drive, I can select a difficulty level, but when I select Continue at the objectives screen, T1 crashes to desktop.
    This is very strange, none of my beta-testers ever reported any crashes. Can you launch the FM from the built-in FMSel and see if that makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I went to your website and am quite impressed with your range of mission-building using several different editors (Half-Life, Team Fortress, etc.) I don't know how you can keep track.

I'm just curious as to why you don't author T2 maps. Unless you're going for the gritty feel of TG.
    Thanks! I'm aiming for the gritty TG feel and I don't have a lot of interest in T2 level design overall, but I may make a T2 FM in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    My mind has been blank lately, iīm playing on normal mode for two hours and i canīt seem to complete the first goal, where is this precious item that i must aquire?

By the way the mission is beautiful, this is my favourite style of missions ;-)
    The item is in Beric's manor that's west of Upper Newmarket, near the Market Place. Finding it involves a little search.

Dainem: You can't break into the priory proper, though you can break into both the priory cellar and the priest's quarters.

You suggest using "the built-in FMSel". Where exactly is this file located after Darkloader has done its work?

It's a FM loader that's built in your Thief executable file with New Dark. It is an alternative to Darkloader, and it's easy to use even if it's pretty spartan and rough at the moment. Contrary to Darkloader, it 'extracts' the FM forever, so there is no loading time when switching FMs. Follow these steps:

1) In your Thief/Thief Gold directory, create two folders. Name the first 'Archive', and the second 'FMs'.
    2) Put darkwalls.zip in the 'Archive' folder.
    3) Open the file cam_mode.ini found in your Thief/Thief Gold directory and delete the semicolon (;) at the line ;fm (this should be near the beginning of the file).
    4) Save and close the file.
    5) Launch Thief via its executable file in the folder, FMSel will launch.
    6) Click the Gear icon on the bottom, and click FM Archive Path. Then, select the Archive folder you just created.
    7) Close FMSel and launch it again, and now you should see the FM in the list.

I haven't tried that yet.

In the meantime, I saw in the FM readme that I should run Tfix. I did that, now the game crashes to desktop with the message that T2 has a problem (even though I have the T1 disk in the drive).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast