TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567121722 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3

Last edited by van HellSing; 5th Feb 2013 at 01:39.

"His [the Witcher's] movements are extraordinary." Yeah, actually it was funny to see that swordfighting was incredibly slow in the Witcher 2 (even slower than what real people do today) despite the general impression given in the book that they are fast as hell. However, with some fencing background the fencing scenes described in the book make you feel sick, so badly are they written and so unelegant is real world stuff implemented. In general I had the feeling that the Witcher as a roleplaying game was better than the novels as fantasy literature. Violence, naked women and randomly chosen funny names for persons don't exactly make a believable organic world or even a good story. I still liked it and read the whole series or at least what is available in German (until the "Lady of the Lake") but it was nothing outstanding.

Thanks for the heads up on the Witcher 3, looking forward to it. Hopefully it takes longer than the second one or at least has a better arranged dramatical curve.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    My biggest wish for the third game would be that they've gone and ripped off the melee combat mechanics from the Souls games. I love a lot of things about the Witcher (the world, writing, moral ambiguity) but the combat been pretty meh in both of them.
    That's a good call. Personally though, I've been forever waiting for something which has similar mechanic to Blade of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    "Geralt is Special .... great threat to mankind .... geralt is awesome..."

I see Witcher is continuing on its path towards genericness...

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    [I]However, with some fencing background the fencing scenes described in the book make you feel sick, so badly are they written and so unelegant is real world stuff implemented.
    I would disagree with you there on one account, though - I did like the brevity of them. Like, a whole fight was a paragraph, I prefer than spending 3 pages describing every single tiny thrust in detail. Though I admit I am not a martial-artist of any sort and thus cannot disagree or comment on the "quality/accuracy" of the combat.

Violence, naked women and randomly chosen funny names for persons don't exactly make a believable organic world or even a good story. I still liked it and read the whole series or at least what is available in German (until the "Lady of the Lake") but it was nothing outstanding.
    And here I feel it may be a cultural issue - personally I loved the Witcher books (well, half of them, the middle ones and last one dragged). But I also recognized they drew a lot on Polish culture, lore and language. I've remarked on these forums before that I think non-poles would miss out on *a lot* reading them. I still want to replay the game in English just to see how they handle many polish-isms and what is lost.

They did set up the threat, and it does make sense within the lore. That's already a better performance than ME3 :P
    Also note how they stress it's a personal story first and then say there's also that threat.

In any case, the official announcement is up:

CD Projekt RED has officially announced the title of their next upcoming game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (VIDEO). Further, they've announced that this, the ultimate game in the series, will also be the final Witcher game from the studio. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt combines CD Projekt RED’s trademark decision-based storytelling flair with a living open world larger than any other in modern RPG history.

“The captivating and nonlinear story of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt takes place in a rich, truly open world environment. A world which is thrilling to explore, full of daring adventures, momentous quests, memorable characters, and unique monsters. Players will freely travel through woods, lakes, mountains, cities, and villages. Each region is inhabited by distinct populations with their own customs, legends and problems. The world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is 30 times bigger than The Witcher 2," said Adam Badowski, head of the studio.

“Imagine playing a dark fantasy game with the same great nonlinear story as in the previous Witcher titles, but now told in a world you can explore freely with no artificial boundaries. The war-ravaged world is so huge that to reach further places you will need to ride a horse or sail a boat to get there. A world where your choices have truly epic consequences. From the development side, this goal is extremely demanding. Our team had to make significant design changes and our tech had to be rebuilt. But we believe that this will lead to a completely new level of nonlinearity and a whole new, richer gaming experience. As a gamer, I would love to play this kind of RPG and I think this is what many players are waiting for. This is our dream come true at CD Projekt RED, and we hope it will be the same for you!” adds Badowski.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the final episode of the award-winning RPG series and the last part of the legend of Geralt of Rivia. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the most robust and breathtaking game ever created by CD Projekt RED. Open world free-roaming exploration is an adventure in itself as the player will gallop through war-ravaged lands, sail misty waters and track down dangerous beasts for money. An improved combat system will allow players to feel like a real monster-hunter, a witcher who uses his superior senses and fighting skills to survive in a dark fantasy world--while he embarks on a quest to save his loved ones. The new core mechanics of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt immerse the player in the experience completely, with no Quick Time Events, only intuitive RPG gameplay.

Badowski continued, "People may ask if this is really going to be the last Witcher game. Yes, it is. Why? Because we believe that we should end the series on a high note. Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

For all of those who have never experienced the adventures of Geralt before, this will be their last chance. The game will be accessible all players--those who are fans of the series and those who just love RPGs--thanks to availability on all major high-end platforms and an introduction designed to smoothly introduce all those who visit the world of the Witcher for the first time."

The game will be released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms. Making use of the same remarkable art direction from The Witcher 2 combined with the support of in-house technology--the recently-announced RPG-oriented REDengine 3--The Witcher 3 will take full advantage of the technical capabilities of modern hardware and will set a new standard for RPG visuals.

CD Projekt RED has added a whole new section to their website. If you want to find more information, please go to www.thewitcher.com

For more details check out the latest issue of Game Informer, available for online subscribers starting from today. There you will find exclusive materials in a 14 page cover story, including early screenshots and concept artwork.

To celebrate this momentous announcement, the developers of the award-winning Witcher franchise are putting The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition on a 50% off sale on GOG.com and Steam for the next 72 hours. And for console gamers, the price of The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition on Microsoft's Xbox 360 is permanently decreased to only USD/EUR 29.99 USD/EUR or GBP 19,99.

To be informed about the start of official CD Projekt RED pre-orders for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and to receive the latest Witcher news please subscribe here:thewitcher.com/preorder

The last Witcher game, huh...

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I would disagree with you there on one account, though - I did like the brevity of them. Like, a whole fight was a paragraph, I prefer than spending 3 pages describing every single tiny thrust in detail. Though I admit I am not a martial-artist of any sort and thus cannot disagree or comment on the "quality/accuracy" of the combat.
    Actually more brevity would have avoided those pitfalls. My criticism was not about the narrative quality (in this respect at least) but the awful detail.
    And here I feel it may be a cultural issue - personally I loved the Witcher books (well, half of them, the middle ones and last one dragged). But I also recognized they drew a lot on Polish culture, lore and language. I've remarked on these forums before that I think non-poles would miss out on *a lot* reading them. I still want to replay the game in English just to see how they handle many polish-isms and what is lost.
    Of course I cannot judge the Polish versions and neither the Poles despite having met some of them but I believe they're not completely off the general European track. And I hardly believe either that a motley mix of characters, political elements (he's actually best when describing political and even more economical processes, that's probably where the economist kicks in) and some awkward narrative experiments with several disconnected backflashes and flash-forwards are somehow typically Polish. I would have had no problem with a strange environment/universe presented or an odd narrative style if it only was consistent. But the major consistent thing (aside from a still somehow immersive and organic mature fantasy world) was the level of constant teenage fan fiction embarrassments that revealed themselves upon the first few lines. Oh, and having descriptions of dozens of horny naked women doesn't get better if you see a photo of the fat and bored looking author at the end of the book.

@ New teaser clip: Yeah, more blood. Cause we can.

Chakat sex pillow
    Is that an over-aggressive sharpen filter on those shots?

I have no idea whether the first Witcher game is a good indicator of the quality of the books, but after hearing so much about the game's complex moral conundrums and mature themes I was rather underwhelmed. The themes may have been mature - the writing rarely was. At best it was okay, at worst it was clumsy and somewhat smug in how much it tried to be the HBO of fantasy, along the lines of "Oh, look, I alluded to racism and used a dirty word!" (Something that Game of Thrones succeeds at much, much better.) There's definite potential there, and the game's choices and interactivity are generally good, but I never felt that in terms of story, characters and worldbuilding the game lived up a) to its potential and b) to the hyperbole spouted all over the internet.

Haven't yet played the second game - I've got a copy of it and I'm definitely curious about it - but on the whole I'm a bit non-plussed by some of the praise the Witcher series has been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I have no idea whether the first Witcher game is a good indicator of the quality of the books
    It's really, really not. The writing in the first game is sometimes downright atrocious. It always puzzled me why people found it actually good.

If the (dialogue?) writing of the first game was atrocious, can someone post me a video where actually good video game writing can be seen? I mean, aside Thief maybe which is the only game I can remember as having rather sophisticated dialogues and all that (or maybe Vampires TMB, thinking of it...in a way). I don't play so many games, so I don't know if I missed something or have to adjust my expectations.

In any case I still think the first Witcher game (or not even the second) isn't worse as a game than the books are as literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Is that an over-aggressive sharpen filter on those shots?

Do you mean that grainy dithering effect and that weird outline around the edges of objects? Witcher 2 has the exact same thing. It's particularly noticeable around shadows. Check out the character's faces here:

http://i.imgur.com/okB24.jpg

I personally found it really annoying but apparently there are people out there (like the witcher devs) who don't notice, or don't care about that stuff. Kind of like the people who don't care about jagged edges while I can't play a game without anti-aliasing. Not because I'm a graphics whore, but because the jagged edges are too distracting to me.

New engine apparently means improved old engine in the gaming world. Bethesda dared to call Skyrim's engine a new one when it was just an improved Gamebryo with many of the same old quirks.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetic thief View Post
    Do you mean that grainy dithering effect and that weird outline around the edges of objects? Witcher 2 has the exact same thing. It's particularly noticeable around shadows.
    I think that's the SSAO doing its thing. Because it's just a clever shader simulating the effect, and not actual honest to god ambient occlusion, you occasionally see dark fuzzy auras floating around all your character models.

It's not as bad in Witcher 2 as it is in some games I've seen. I'm playing through DX:HR again, and it's really, really, really noticeable there.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetic thief View Post
    Do you mean that grainy dithering effect and that weird outline around the edges of objects? Witcher 2 has the exact same thing. It's particularly noticeable around shadows. Check out the character's faces here:

http://i.imgur.com/okB24.jpg

I personally found it really annoying but apparently there are people out there (like the witcher devs) who don't notice, or don't care about that stuff. Kind of like the people who don't care about jagged edges while I can't play a game without anti-aliasing. Not because I'm a graphics whore, but because the jagged edges are too distracting to me.

New engine apparently means improved old engine in the gaming world. Bethesda dared to call Skyrim's engine a new one when it was just an improved Gamebryo with many of the same old quirks.
    No, those are just low-resolution shadowmaps with a filtered outline that's responsible for the dither effect.

You're right about SSAO, Renz, it's distracting because it's not an accurate algorithm so everything gets a fuzzy aura around it, but that's a separate topic.

What I mean is this: http://i.imgur.com/quelWQE.jpg. Looks like artifacts from resizing and post-processing.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this: I got around to trying The Witcher, and it really isn't my thing, so I'm giving away The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (steam) to the first person who asks.

Neb, I'd love to take that key off of your hands! I played the first game and liked it, I just haven't really had the budget for the sequel lately. Thanks either way!

It's on its way.

WOW! It's even the Enhanced Ed.! Thanks a TON, Neb! I just finished SOF2, and was looking for something to play this weekend. Problem solved.

If anyone is going to play Witcher series, I highly encourage them to read the books. At the very least read "The Last Wish" collection of short stories.

They really help you understand what witchers are all about. Geralt is not an anti-hero, he is a true hero, but alas he is one of the last remaining witchers, and witchers are tragic figures. The short stories really help you appreciate the sacrifices they make and the thankless aspect of their jobs. Through a gruelling trial process, witchers are painfully turned into hunters from childhood so they can protect people from monsters, yet people still treat them like the very thing they are protected from.

I'm replaying the game after reading the stories, and it definitely put everything into a whole different persective.

Speaking of the books, english fan translations are available on the forums: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index...-translations/

All the novels and short stories are translated by now, and the translations are reportedly better than the two books officially published in english.

Thanks, Poetic Thief, I will now. I was just gifted Witcher 2 (thanks again, Neb) so I figured I'd replay the 1st game and go into W2 shortly thereafter. I'll check out those short stories. Is it on Amazon, you suppose, or is it something you have to read online? Thanks.

The internal chronology is:

The Road of No Return (short story prequel with Geralt's mother, published in the collection Something ends, Something begins - the eponymous story itself is a non-canon joke Witcher story)

The Last Wish
    (short story collection, published in english)

Sword of Destiny (short story collection)

Blood of Elves (published in english)

Times of Contempt (supposed to be published in english this year)

Baptism of Fire

The Tower of Swallows

The Lady of the Lake

the games follow from here.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Thanks, Poetic Thief, I will now. I was just gifted Witcher 2 (thanks again, Neb) so I figured I'd replay the 1st game and go into W2 shortly thereafter. I'll check out those short stories. Is it on Amazon, you suppose, or is it something you have to read online? Thanks.
    Amazon has the english edition of The Last Wish.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Wish-...=the+last+wish.

New photos:

Looks like more of The Witcher 2, but prettified. Not that it's a bad thing.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567121722 ... LastLast