TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101520212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3

From Toussaint with love:

Last edited by bukary; 28th Nov 2016 at 21:09.

The Game Awards 2015:
    Best Role-Playing Game - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Game Awards 2016:
    Best Role-Playing Game - Blood and Wine

I regret purchasing The Witcher 3. I hate to say this game isn't for me, but I am truly, deeply puzzled why this game won so many accolades. Everyone sings such high praises for this game - what makes it great?

I've been told how great the side quests are, but so far they've been repetitive and predictably formulaic. Follow the icon on the mini-map, use Witcher sense, and/or fetch item / combat. For the record, I just finished talking to Yennifer in Vizima and I'm already feeling like this game doesn't have much more to offer from here.

That wouldn't be that much of an issue if leveling up unlocked new spells / abilities - but the progression mechanics seem to mainly exist to level-gate content until your numbers are high enough. There really doesn't seem like there are any real gameplay systems to explore.

Combat is servicable, but lacks depth and already feels repetitive / grindy.

I just don't get it. I've played a lot of rpgs over the last twenty years and I still don't get it.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 20th Dec 2016 at 11:03.

Thing What Kicks
    You've just finished speaking to Yen in Vizima?
    Yeah, you've just started, and you're what, probably level 7-8 at most? Once you get a few more levels behind you, the gameplay definitely opens up, although even as one of the game's biggest advocates, I won't pretend the combat is ever more than passable. And I have massive problems with how progression is balanced.

No, it's all about the situations you find yourself in, the places the story takes you and the characters you meet along the way. Give it some more time, see how you get on with it.

Chakat sex pillow
    I have to say I've warmed up almost immediately to TW3, whereas TW2 got mired in fantasy politics too fast and too hard. The fact that you have Ciri as a through-line in TW3, and the way the prologue/tutorial sets up Geralt's relationship with her before moving on to the present day is extremely good storytelling -- not that TW2 didn't have good storytelling, but it was doled out in fits and starts; also, it's hard to care about people when 99% of them are amoral assholes.

More importantly, it's probably a good idea to temper expectations. TW3 has had so much hype, it's not possible for any game to live up to the agglomerated, lumbering idea of what the game is that all those reviews and random articles may have formed inside one's head. TW3 doesn't have the greatest combat or graphics ever (which game would?); but then, the game really isn't about any one individual element. It's the mix of gorgeous world design (sunsets! rain! unic... never mind), gameplay mechanisms, and storytelling that makes it this compelling, heady thing.

I'm just a little after where TannisRoot's at, having met the Bloody Baron, and I have to say while I wish I had the choice to just storm his castle and slay everyone to get on with the quest, the story went a few places in a fashion that was more nuanced than I was expecting. If the game's able to keep this level of detail and narrative throughout, I can see why people keep namedropping it as an RPG benchmark.

I'll give the bloody baron quest a try before calling it quits. I think one of the main detriments to my enjoyment is lack of playtime or long sessions. At most I only get a couple hours of game time at a time, so it's probably not enough to get fully immersed.

I played the entire game in 2-3 hour chunks, it's fine IMO. Do the bloody baron and the witches of the bog quests (Family Matters and Ladies of the Wood IIRC) in Velen before you call it quits. Also ignore most of the sidequests. I only did the main quests and the more important side quests (that were related to the main characters), and it still felt complete.

Finished the Bloody Baron quest and...sorry, Witcher 3 just isn't for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand why this reviewed well. I really struggled to remain interested, but I find myself wanting to skip dialogue, which is basically the meat and potatoes of the game. Maybe the Witcher fantasy world just doesn't appeal to me like A Song of Ice and Fire or Malazan.

Small thing, but I really like the way Hearts of Stone stages its important conversations. I don't remember being conscious the same in the main game, but Hearts of Stone uses interesting cinematic angles, lighting and edits to give the conversations more weight. I remember one where Geralt and the hafling he was talking to were shot through through a window, and the halfling was more distorted due to the angle and distance, and it was a striking, interesting choice; or Geralt's first conversation with Master Mirror, the way he emerges from the shadows. The main game's storytelling was already confident and effective, but Hearts of Stone makes it visually more involving as well.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yanno, the way TannisRoot feels about TW3 is exactly how I feel about Borderlands. I couldn't understand how people could rave about Borderlands when it seemed so blandly facile and boring as a game; I still don't, but I can understand the appeal from a differentiated (and decidedly abstract to me) point of view. For edge cases like this, it's probably more of a factor of what drives us personally in gaming rather than the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Small thing, but I really like the way Hearts of Stone stages its important conversations. I don't remember being conscious the same in the main game, but Hearts of Stone uses interesting cinematic angles, lighting and edits to give the conversations more weight. I remember one where Geralt and the hafling he was talking to were shot through through a window, and the halfling was more distorted due to the angle and distance, and it was a striking, interesting choice; or Geralt's first conversation with Master Mirror, the way he emerges from the shadows. The main game's storytelling was already confident and effective, but Hearts of Stone makes it visually more involving as well.
    The neat thing about even vanilla TW3 is that all of its important conversations are blocked and framed from a cinematic POV, even if it's not necessarily visually involving. There's just such a lot of love that's gone in, and it shows. It makes sense that with Hearts of Stone, they managed to pay even more attention to the details and hone their craft some more.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 1st Jan 2017 at 08:03.

Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    Finished the Bloody Baron quest and...sorry, Witcher 3 just isn't for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand why this reviewed well.
    Well, no one can force (or convince) you to like the game.

I played several different games after TW3. Fallout 4, Arkham Knight, Doom, Dishonored 2... They all felt like... games. While TW3, for me, was something more that collecting/shooting/driving/fighting in some colorful enviroment. It was like an interesting movie or even an interesting book. "Just one more page/hour" syndrome was present. It was not only enjoyable, but also memorable. It was definitely the best gaming experience I had in many years. And it's probably the only game in a long time that I am willing to replay.

Unfortunately, TW3 "ruined" my gaming experience, because I still can't find the game that would be more fun or immersive. Fallout 4 failed (although not miserably). I'll try SOMA this week. We'll see. I hope I will not have to search till Cyberpunk 2077.

Thing What Kicks
    bukary, Witcher 3 left me in an extended gaming funk after I completed it too. And even now, other big releases have to be something really special to compare to it.
    I found that one solution was more sandbox style sim-ish games. Other gaming narratives were going to be hard-pushed to rival Witcher 3, so the types of games where you write your own story really won out. Things like Rimworld and Factorio, or my old favourite, Dwarf Fortress.
    And then some good old fashioned ultraviolence, whether it be modern mods of old shooters (Brutal Doom), or new takes on old shooters (new Doom). Those types of game are very cathartic after Witcher 3, as they're a complete break from all the systems that come with an RPG its size. Generally speaking, because they've been designed with combat first and foremost in mind, you don't get frustrated with broken balance thanks to stats affecting how you fight. And let's face it, even at its best, Witcher 3's combat is merely passable rather than excellent.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 1st Apr 2017 at 15:41.

Level 10,000 achieved
    With FFXV done, I'm moving on to the next big weekend game, The Witcher 3 Expansions. Any recommendations for which one I should do first? (already finished the main game) Also, I don't need to be at a certain point in the story or anything to start these, do I?

Moderator and Priest
    Play the expansions in the order they were released. You can play Hearts of Stone at any time in the late game, though I'd suggest beating it all before starting Blood and Wine, since it acts somewhat as a epilogue to the story.

Thing What Kicks
    It's best to do them in order of release, as Blood & Wine expects you to have completed Hearts of Stone, and the enemies are scaled as such.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Netflix is making a Witcher series (although they say it's based on the books, not the games):

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-is-get...ies-1795289049

Chakat sex pillow
    I've spent 70 hours in TW3, and I was beginning to feel like I was on the cusp of unravelling the final act (lifting Uma's curse), so I took a quick gander at the amount of story remaining for the main quest... and fuck me, I'm only halfway through? I guess paying attention to all those contracts and side-quests really does make the playtime in this game shoot through the roof. I'm finally beginning to actually enjoy the sidequest stories, as the starter/mid Velen and Novigrad ones were fine if nothing to really write home about, but Skellige was where things really started to get fun.

Chakat sex pillow
    I've finally wrapped up most of the main game's sidequests that I've cared to, and on to the final leg of things. Figured it's as good a time as any for some light photography.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, finally done with TW3's main quest. Interestingly, I somehow managed to tick all the boxes that lead to Ciri joining her dear old emperor dad and trying to do the people good as empress. I find myself wishing she'd stuck around to be a witcher, but it's arguably the better path for her and shows a lick of maturity, rather than romping around and killing monsters with the gang for the rest of her days. That's a fairly decent wrap-up, all considered.

Overall, I can't say I was as surprised or impressed by TW3 when I compare it to the first time I played Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, but it's fairly close and definitely far more polished and impressive in scope. This thing was the product of fucktons of work, and it shows. The feeling that the writing's a bit wooden hasn't really left me, but it does a good job at being massive in scope and imbuing a decent amount of character in most of the principals, with some very good voice acting. Speaking of which, Djikstra is the best. I killed him of course, but I wish he'd done something else that let Geralt and him continue to trade insults to the end of their days.

Onwards to Hearts of Stone and Toussaint!

Thing What Kicks
    Oh, you're in for a treat
    Both are absolutely wonderful. I personally prefer Blood & Wine, but the writing in both is great.

Chakat sex pillow
    I see what you mean! HoS is almost immediately more interesting in execution and story. That bloody great toad was one of the most obnoxious combat encounters I've had in the game so far, but everything else makes up for it. Geralt and the main dude, they get along like... well, like a house on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Well, finally done with TW3's main quest. Interestingly, I somehow managed to tick all the boxes that lead to Ciri joining her dear old emperor dad and trying to do the people good as empress. I find myself wishing she'd stuck around to be a witcher, but it's arguably the better path for her and shows a lick of maturity, rather than romping around and killing monsters with the gang for the rest of her days. That's a fairly decent wrap-up, all considered.

Overall, I can't say I was as surprised or impressed by TW3 when I compare it to the first time I played Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, but it's fairly close and definitely far more polished and impressive in scope. This thing was the product of fucktons of work, and it shows. The feeling that the writing's a bit wooden hasn't really left me, but it does a good job at being massive in scope and imbuing a decent amount of character in most of the principals, with some very good voice acting. Speaking of which, Djikstra is the best. I killed him of course, but I wish he'd done something else that let Geralt and him continue to trade insults to the end of their days.

Onwards to Hearts of Stone and Toussaint!

Have you read the books?

Djikstra's an even more interesting (and sleazy) character if you've read the books where he shows up.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101520212223242526 LastLast