TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3

They're still running on the TW2 renderer, so yeah. They have a new one in the works.

Good collection of articles so far:
    http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index...ticles-on-tw3/

LittleFlower
    I'm really curious what movie that animated gif is from. A quick google didn't reveal anything. Got a hint ?

It's the Ali G movie.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    It's the Ali G movie.
    Ah, thanks. I've seen that movie a decade ago. Not sure I wanna watch it again, just to see Tywin Lannister in a mini-skirt.

verbose douchebag
    This is sounding great. Now I want to fire up the original game which I've never finished (I also own the sequel). First though, I think I'd like to read the books as I think it will help me to be more immersed in the games. Can anyone recommend English translations in eBook format please?

faetal - let me know how those are, I read them all in Polish (after playing game) and loved them, but my big enjoyment came from a lot of polish language/folklore in it, so not sure how well that translates. Also it does start to drag a bit in the middle-endish, but luckily wrapped up before I got too tedious. I think book #1 and #4 (or was it 5?) were my favs.

Are the novels as predictable as I experienced them to be in German translation, aside from giving the impression of some middle-aged guy writing down his erotic fantasies? The books were alright (except for the description of fencing scenes which were....meh) but I always had the impression that the games were better RPGs than the books fantasy literature. Sapkowski was actually best when describing economic and political circumstances, i.e. what he had studied. I cannot believe these things changed drastically with a translation.

verbose douchebag
    I tried playing with Polish language and English subtitles on, but switched back as all it really added for me was an additional drain on my attention.

Coming from a country where only children's cartoons and soap operas are dubbed, original language with subtitles is the only way to play for me.

Personally this always throws me out of immersion. On the other hand, almost everything in Germany gets dubbed (except for computer games sometimes) and usually the quality isn't so bad.

Yeah, Germany's dubbing is usually pretty good, although I still prefer the original voices in most cases. I often can't even stand watching remakes, because I still have the original voices in my head. It happened for example with "Funny Games".

holy necro batman

Holy shit, dem grahpics:
    http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D...080p30_5.1.mp4
    (replaced with HD link)

mind boggled

... to paradise ... on horse asses

note to self: buy armor penetration sword for Geralt

I loved the swamp in TW1, this looks like a comeback
    Last edited by mothra; 9th Dec 2013 at 12:00. Reason: more graphics

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    nice gif explosion, but this isn't tumblr or kotako so you can stop now

also those graphics aren't exactly leaps and bounds over anything else that's come out lately

Considering the length of the gameplay segments in the video, I'm very thankful for the gifs. The game looks great, the horse-riding scene reminds me a bit of Red Dead Redemption.
    I too would be glad if the swamps came back, a very memorable part for me in the original game.

Anyway, it's all so pretty, but will they manage to put together a proper, enjoyable open-world game from that? I hope the end result will be less forgettable than TW2 (I also hope they learnt their lesson with their horrendous UI).

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    also those graphics aren't exactly leaps and bounds over anything else that's come out lately
    Once again, this generation isn't about better graphics, so much as more density. That level of detail is achievable for smaller scenes, but maintaining it over something the size of Skyrim with tons of varying, equally detailed environments, more high poly enemies onscreen, more effects, and all that good stuff is something only next gen is gonna be able to do.

To lean on Skyrim again, remember that scene where you have to fight in that big siege of...er...some fucking town I can't remember the name of, and the whole "battle" consisted of 6 guys running up the hill at you while the actual brunt of it was fought offscreen? This generation would be about putting you in the middle of that battle. The graphics aren't necessarily that much better than the previous gen, but there won't be nearly as many compromises.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Law of diminishing returns.

Moderator and Priest
    For graphics at least. We've still got a long, long way to go before we reach the same point with gameplay.

If anything, we elitist gaming snobs should be embracing the coming generations. Since we're coming to that point when each new platform will only be marginally better graphically, what else will the AAA studios do to compete with each other for our hard earned dollars? They're all gonna be roughly on par with each other graphically. Gears of War 15 running on the latest rev of Unreal Engine 8 won't look that much different than Far Cry 8 running on Cryengine 6. They can't say "look at all this new sparkly shit we've got", and expect it sell a few million copies based on the strength of that alone, because the wow factor for all the new sparkly shit was diminished when everyone ooed and ahhed over the old sparkly shit that looked about the same a couple years back, and really is only an improvement from a purely technical standpoint. So what do they do?

They make sure their games are more fun and interesting than the other guy's. We're gonna see a heavier emphasis on art and gameplay in the coming future. Because now that everyone's won the graphic fidelity arms race by default, they don't have anything else to lean on. Things are still gonna be interesting, though in a much different way.

verbose douchebag
    I'd settle for design tools being more streamlined. As Mercedez Renz quite correctly states, the next lot of focus should be on being able to add density to the visual design. I think a lot more of a game's wow factor can come from little details feeding into the unconscious sensation of immersion in any given scene rather than how close to real life the textures / polys can get things. This can only come from design tools taking the strain out of design and giving the artists and designers more time to plough into actually designing and placing content. That said, I know fuck all about game design.

I am sure there are enough engines out there to rival this but atm this trailer shows me that the art direction for TW3 is top notch
    and none of the scenes look "empty" without drawing too much attention to themselves.
    A comment on youtube summed it up pretty nicely, it went something like this:
    "when others do fantasy they look at fantasy, with CDPR it looks like they opened a history book"
    I just love that style. Additionally CDPR promised the same variety and density in quests and reactivity on small and large scale.
    So hopefully not only "dem graphics" but also "dem branches"

PS: A HD link for the trailer : http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D...080p30_5.1.mp4
    I removed that blurry mess from my original post. You can see ppl working in novigrad on the houses rooftops now
    Last edited by mothra; 9th Dec 2013 at 11:58.

New screenshots:

Source here.

I love how much these feel like paintings of/from the 16th and 17th century. I just hope they won't mar that impression with their less-than-funny anachronisms, which bothered me about the first Witcher game. Still haven't played the second one...

Beautiful. And agree with above comment, one of the reasons I liked the first game and the books as well, they somehow felt more genuine and believable fantasy than most. But I'm also biased being Polish and growing up with this history/folklore.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast